md 421 cracked body..

Last response: in Home Audio
August 24, 2005 6:28:27 PM

Hello last night a md421 I own was knocked over on it's stand. The body
cracked prety badly, to where you the (m-s) switch/xlr connector is
handing by 2 wires. The mic still works as normal, and I heavily duct
taped it back together. It worked fine for the rest of the night ..The
plastic is all there so it kinda just fits back together like a puzzle.
But I was wondering if anyone could recommend an adhesive or an epoxy
that would work well in this situation. It's the only one I have and
I'm not exactly swimming in mics so I just was looking for a way to
make it a bit more stable (longer term).
thanks,
brian

More about : 421 cracked body

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 6:46:38 PM

I vote for putting it back together using an epoxy. To keep the glue
work as clean as possible you may have to be patient and repair one
piece at a time until Humpty is back together again. I've never
opened my 421, and they don't need pin one connected for phantom power,
but I would have guessed there should be three wires attached to the
xlr connector. See any loose wires in there? Maybe someone knows
different.
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 9:28:10 PM

No I just saw two wires. I was rather frantic though and just wanted to
get it back together to get through the guitar part.
psalter wrote:
> I vote for putting it back together using an epoxy. To keep the glue
> work as clean as possible you may have to be patient and repair one
> piece at a time until Humpty is back together again. I've never
> opened my 421, and they don't need pin one connected for phantom power,
> but I would have guessed there should be three wires attached to the
> xlr connector. See any loose wires in there? Maybe someone knows
> different.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 9:41:29 PM

thadjanus <vivacaramel@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Hello last night a md421 I own was knocked over on it's stand. The body
>cracked prety badly, to where you the (m-s) switch/xlr connector is
>handing by 2 wires. The mic still works as normal, and I heavily duct
>taped it back together. It worked fine for the rest of the night ..The
>plastic is all there so it kinda just fits back together like a puzzle.
>But I was wondering if anyone could recommend an adhesive or an epoxy
>that would work well in this situation. It's the only one I have and
>I'm not exactly swimming in mics so I just was looking for a way to
>make it a bit more stable (longer term).

Just call Sennheiser and order a new body casting. You're going to
have to desolder the connector assembly and then solder it back in again
to put it back together, but it's not a big deal.
--scott
August 25, 2005 12:40:06 PM

"psalter" <psalter@opry.com> wrote in message
>I vote for putting it back together using an epoxy. To keep the glue
> work as clean as possible you may have to be patient and repair one
> piece at a time until Humpty is back together again. I've never
> opened my 421, and they don't need pin one connected for phantom power,
> but I would have guessed there should be three wires attached to the
> xlr connector. See any loose wires in there? Maybe someone knows
> different.

There should be an earth connection from the metal switch housing to the
metal capsule grille. The broken one I have here achieves this via the
screen on a screened 2-core cable from capsule to switch unit. This is not
connected to pin 1 by the way so the mic can only be earthed via the XLR
housing.

Gareth.
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 11:22:01 PM

"Gareth Magennis"

> There should be an earth connection from the metal switch housing to the
> metal capsule grille. The broken one I have here achieves this via the
> screen on a screened 2-core cable from capsule to switch unit. This is
> not connected to pin 1 by the way so the mic can only be earthed via the
> XLR housing.

** Not true.

All MD 421s I have ever seen had pin 1 earthed to the case.

Every XLR equipped mic I have ever seen had pin 1 earthed to the case.

Often, the grub screw that holds the 3 pin housing in place does double duty
as the ground link, pin 1 being linked to the metal tab that holds the
screw.

........ Phil
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 11:22:02 PM

"Phil Allison" <philallison@tpg.com.au> wrote in message

> "Gareth Magennis"
>

>> There should be an earth connection from the metal switch housing to the
>> metal capsule grille. The broken one I have here achieves this via the
>> screen on a screened 2-core cable from capsule to switch unit. This is
>> not connected to pin 1 by the way so the mic can only be earthed via the
>> XLR housing.
>>

> ** Not true.
>
> All MD 421s I have ever seen had pin 1 earthed to the case.
>
> Every XLR equipped mic I have ever seen had pin 1 earthed to the case.

> Often, the grub screw that holds the 3 pin housing in place does double
> duty as the ground link, pin 1 being linked to the metal tab that holds
> the screw.
>

> ....... Phil

Yep, excuse my stupidity - just taken mine apart and the pin 1 wire
connection to XLR socket body was broken.

There is a black wire running from this connection through to the switch pcb
and it is this that should connect to the screen of the cable to the
capsule.

Gareth.
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 1:57:13 AM

"Gareth Magennis"
> "Phil Allison"
>>
>> ** Not true.
>>
>> All MD 421s I have ever seen had pin 1 earthed to the case.
>>
>> Every XLR equipped mic I have ever seen had pin 1 earthed to the case.
>>
>> Often, the grub screw that holds the 3 pin housing in place does double
>> duty as the ground link, pin 1 being linked to the metal tab that holds
>> the screw.
>>

> Yep, excuse my stupidity - just taken mine apart and the pin 1 wire
> connection to XLR socket body was broken.
>
> There is a black wire running from this connection through to the switch
> pcb and it is this that should connect to the screen of the cable to the
> capsule.

** I'll forgive you - just this once, mind ;-)

.......... Phil
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 1:57:14 AM

> "Gareth Magennis"
> > "Phil Allison"
>>>
>>> ** Not true.
>>>
>>> All MD 421s I have ever seen had pin 1 earthed to the case.
>>>
>>> Every XLR equipped mic I have ever seen had pin 1 earthed to the case.
>>>
>>> Often, the grub screw that holds the 3 pin housing in place does double
>>> duty as the ground link, pin 1 being linked to the metal tab that holds
>>> the screw.
>>>

>> Yep, excuse my stupidity - just taken mine apart and the pin 1 wire
>> connection to XLR socket body was broken.
>>
>> There is a black wire running from this connection through to the switch
>> pcb and it is this that should connect to the screen of the cable to the
>> capsule.
>>

> ** I'll forgive you - just this once, mind ;-)
>

> ......... Phil

Very gracious of you Phil. Hope you like my improved newsgroup etiquette.
Thanks ;-)

Gareth.
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 9:42:26 PM

thadjanus <vivacaramel@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello last night a md421 I own was knocked over on it's stand. The body
> cracked prety badly, to where you the (m-s) switch/xlr connector is
> handing by 2 wires. The mic still works as normal, and I heavily duct
> taped it back together. It worked fine for the rest of the night ..The
> plastic is all there so it kinda just fits back together like a puzzle.
> But I was wondering if anyone could recommend an adhesive or an epoxy
> that would work well in this situation. It's the only one I have and
> I'm not exactly swimming in mics so I just was looking for a way to
> make it a bit more stable (longer term).
> thanks,
> brian

I have a dead 421 (body is fine but the capsule is dead) that I could
sell or trade to you. Anyone think of a use for just the body? I
doubt I can get a replacement capsule for a reasonable amount of cash.

Rob R.
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 1:42:22 AM

"Rob Reedijk" <reedijk@hera.med.utoronto.ca> wrote in message
news:D fcna2$oqo$1@news1.chem.utoronto.ca...
> thadjanus <vivacaramel@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have a dead 421 (body is fine but the capsule is dead) that I could
> sell or trade to you. Anyone think of a use for just the body? I
> doubt I can get a replacement capsule for a reasonable amount of cash.
>
> Rob R.

I have two 421s that are essentially dead -- everything that goes through
them sounds like it's coming out of a bad clock radio. I took them to my
favorite local repair guy, who checked and told me that they weren't worth
repairing; new Sennheiser capsules and his labor would equal the cost of new
421s, and he couldn't find a generic capsule that would fit.

Does anybody have a use for them?

Dave O'Heare
oheareATmagmaDOTca
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 1:12:43 PM

Dave O'Heare <oheare@magma.ca> wrote:
>"Rob Reedijk" <reedijk@hera.med.utoronto.ca> wrote in message
>> thadjanus <vivacaramel@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have a dead 421 (body is fine but the capsule is dead) that I could
>> sell or trade to you. Anyone think of a use for just the body? I
>> doubt I can get a replacement capsule for a reasonable amount of cash.
>>
>> Rob R.
>
>I have two 421s that are essentially dead -- everything that goes through
>them sounds like it's coming out of a bad clock radio. I took them to my
>favorite local repair guy, who checked and told me that they weren't worth
>repairing; new Sennheiser capsules and his labor would equal the cost of new
>421s, and he couldn't find a generic capsule that would fit.
>
>Does anybody have a use for them?

This happens when the voice coil comes apart from the diaphragm. It
really isn't repairable... the element is design for the diaphragm
assembly to be easily replaced, but Sennheiser won't sell you replacements.

My suggestion is that you repair the mike... because you can't really
get new 421s any more, just the Mk. II models. And you can still get
the replacement elements for the original mikes.
--scott
September 6, 2005 7:54:39 PM

Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote:
> Dave O'Heare <oheare@magma.ca> wrote:
>>"Rob Reedijk" <reedijk@hera.med.utoronto.ca> wrote in message
>>> thadjanus <vivacaramel@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a dead 421 (body is fine but the capsule is dead) that I could
>>> sell or trade to you. Anyone think of a use for just the body? I
>>> doubt I can get a replacement capsule for a reasonable amount of cash.
>>>
>>> Rob R.
>>
>>I have two 421s that are essentially dead -- everything that goes through
>>them sounds like it's coming out of a bad clock radio. I took them to my
>>favorite local repair guy, who checked and told me that they weren't worth
>>repairing; new Sennheiser capsules and his labor would equal the cost of new
>>421s, and he couldn't find a generic capsule that would fit.
>>
>>Does anybody have a use for them?

> This happens when the voice coil comes apart from the diaphragm. It
> really isn't repairable... the element is design for the diaphragm
> assembly to be easily replaced, but Sennheiser won't sell you replacements.

> My suggestion is that you repair the mike... because you can't really
> get new 421s any more, just the Mk. II models. And you can still get
> the replacement elements for the original mikes.
> --scott

In the case of mine, I seem to remember that it was completely dead---
no sound at all.

I once managed to repair another one when the humbucking coil that sits
in front of the capsule had detached and it was simply a matter of
reconnecting the winding.

Is it possible that there might be another loose connection on my
non working one, deeper into the capsule module?

Rob R.
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 7:54:40 PM

Rob Reedijk <reedijk@hera.med.utoronto.ca> wrote:

>I once managed to repair another one when the humbucking coil that sits
>in front of the capsule had detached and it was simply a matter of
>reconnecting the winding.
>
>Is it possible that there might be another loose connection on my
>non working one, deeper into the capsule module?

It's possible, but it doesn't get very deep. The problem is that if
the coil is damaged, you can't get a replacement. I've had no luck
trying to wind replacements myself, either although in theory you should
be able to on a coil form.
--scott

May 14, 2009 7:22:08 PM

Quote:

"Rob Reedijk" <reedijk@hera.med.utoronto.ca> wrote in message
news:D fcna2$oqo$1@news1.chem.utoronto.ca...
> thadjanus <vivacaramel@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have a dead 421 (body is fine but the capsule is dead) that I could
> sell or trade to you. Anyone think of a use for just the body? I
> doubt I can get a replacement capsule for a reasonable amount of cash.
>
> Rob R.

I have two 421s that are essentially dead -- everything that goes through
them sounds like it's coming out of a bad clock radio. I took them to my
favorite local repair guy, who checked and told me that they weren't worth
repairing; new Sennheiser capsules and his labor would equal the cost of new
421s, and he couldn't find a generic capsule that would fit.

Does anybody have a use for them?

If you still have these email @:
suckazz@yahoo.com

Dave O'Heare