ATI +game crash, HELP!!!!!

glazenuts

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi,
Thought I be smoking instead of crying the bules. Got my hands on a ATI 9800 Pro. Had problems with TFC, but atleast the game would launch online, when I tried to join a game it wold crash. I installed the over_flow patch and it mad it worse, now when hl.exe trys to load "CRASH" I tried all the suggestion I could find and have emailed ATI support and tried what they suggested but to no avail. heres my specs maybe some can spot the problem?
Enermax 300w case.1x120mm,4x80mm fans, baby got breeze!!!!
Asus P4SDX(sis655)
P4 2.8mhz
ATI 9800 pro
1gig buffalo pc2700 running dual mode.
WD 100g JB 8mb cache.
lan and sound on board.
XP pro (ntfs)
no irq's shared.

Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Serious Sam, Black Hawk Down, run fine?????????????
Any help is greatly appreciated.
thanx,
Jeff in LA.

ecar016

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2002
try the graphic card section.....
but check the power connector the the vid. card and maybe a 300 Watt psu is not sufficient.

EC

<font color=red> Quantum Computers! - very interesting </font color=red>

glazenuts

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I reinstalled to fat32 with XP Pro and it seems to have fixed it. might have been the the remnants of the GF3 nvidia drivers left over. I did a file search and cheched the .reg nvidia*.* but maybe I missed something. I want to run the Aquanox demo with all the eye candy and see what happens.
Thanx for your reply.
Jeff in Los Angeles USA

lonewolf1215

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
I would consider upgrading your power supply to at least 430watts. Do you have a DVD Burner or CD Burner installed? If you do you are putting a lot of load on your PSU. It probably can't handle the load.