Samsung CRT repair? It lossed a color!

redsmurf

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2003
I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard of a monitor, just losing a color?
My 19" Samsung SyncMaster 950p has suddenly lossed it's ability to make Red!
It's all green and is pretty much useless if I can't fix this.
In the past, this has happened, but I could go to the back connection and tighten it, and the color would be back to normal. This time, it is not so easy.
It is about 3 years old - no warranty left.
Should I go inside and play doctor? What am I looking for? Any Monitor repair guides could be usefull.

RichPLS

Champion
One of the colored bulbs burnt out, red green or blue. Costly to fix.

<font color=red><pre>_____________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

redsmurf

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2003
I don't think a bulb is burned out, becuase like I said, this color loss problem has happened before. In the past the color was restored by simply jiggling the back connection. But then again you might be right, and the bulb is gone.

Hmmm, I opened it up, and as I was carrying it, I could hear something inside moving around, like a lose screw or something. It sounds like it is right at the back connection.

I will not rest until I find this loose object!

RichPLS

Champion
Be carefull inside the case, there remains high voltage capaciters which can be discharged if you don't know what your doing.

<font color=red><pre>_____________________________________
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

redsmurf

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2003
Yeah, thanks for the heads up.
The object was just a spring that broke off of the base.

It is probably not worth fixing? The monitor is worth at least $150 new. I'll have to consider the cost of a replacement monitor: "19 Flat CRT, minimum 1600x1200 max res.
Thanks for your assistance.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Is the cord removable at the back, or does it pass through the back? It sounds like you have a bad cord, I'd probably buy a bad samsung and use the cord to replace that one, unless it's removable (I have standard replacements for removable cords).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

redsmurf

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2003
That is a good idea, Crashman! It would be nice if that was the problem.
The cord is removable at the back, so I'll probably pick one up at the local computer store today.

redsmurf

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2003
It came back!
I'm a moron--- after checking the connection at the GRAPHICS CARD, and wigglying it a bit, the RED color came back.

Hehhe, where were you guys on this one??

RichPLS

Champion
Awesome, come to think about it, now i remember a loose cable once caused colors to screw up here to.
But connections and cables should be first thing checked when something quits working or screws up...
Congrats

<font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________

elgin123

Distinguished
May 19, 2009

hi sir..
Im checking any solutions on the internet about my monitor.. and i think i have the same problem as you had before.. can you help me about this? my samsung monitor also looses its color.. but sometimes the color comes back.. i tried checking the cables but i cant fix it..