MSI Mega 651

Zuidema

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2003
Firstly, a note that there is no appropriate "barebones" or "small form factor" heading for comments, so this forum will have to do.

I think it's crazy and maybe a little dishonest that Tom's Hardware did not make a bigger deal out of the lack of anything other than cosmetic integration in the MSI Mega 651 with the front panel display and radio capabilities.

In truth the PC must be OFF for the LCD panel to function whatsoever! (Ok, when the PC is on, the panel does show the time in 24-hour format.) But beyond that, nothing, nada, zip! Does the volume knob control the PC volume? No! Does the big "MP3" on the front mean that your PC is playing an MP3 file? No! It means it's reading straight from the CD rom drive. Does the LCD show the name of the MP3 file or any other meta data? No! Does the remote control control any PC multimedia functions? We don't know! This has got to be the shortest thrift I've ever seen given to a review of a product that >>looks<< groundbreaking, but really is little more than a gimmick.

All the "home theatre" functions are actually a completely different system that does not function AT ALL when the PC is turned on. You don't get a sexy glow, you don't get cool animations, you don't get any functionality out of the HT control buttons or remote.

What would REALLY be a worthwhile product would be something that LOOKS like the Mega PC but actually integrates with media players.

Am I asking for a lot? I don't think so. Look at the buttons on most modern keyboards that pause/play, adjust volume, change tracks, and more! And what about Windows Media Center? Couldn't this have been a system designed for that OS and really delivered on its visual promise?

I don't even have the confidence that the IR pickup on the front will work with windows. Five bucks says it's another cheesy add-on.

All this box does is whet the appetite for the day when some TRULY talented vendor will come out with a system that looks similar to this and actually delivers on the promise of a living room PC.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Looks similar? It's crap! Look at what you get in a CoolerMaster Micro ATX case:

1.) It's shorter, so it takes up less space in your home theater rack
2.) It's wider, so it looks better with your other home theater devices, and still narrow enough to fit any home theater rack.
3.) It has more room for drives
4.) It uses a full sized ATX power supply
5.) It has room for a Micro ATX board, which allows for 4 slots (usually 1 AGP and 3 PCI) instead of only 2 slots (1AGP, 1PCI).

Micro ATX will always be better than SFF/Flex ATX.

So what about the gimicks? Coolermaster cases don't have them, use an ATI Remote Wonder.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Zuidema

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2003
Right on, bruthah! Indeed, I'm looking very carefully at that case. But how would _you_ go about:

1. Adding a big jog-dial volume control dial?
2. Adding ||/> [] |<< >>| buttons that follow the MS multimedia controls API (like those on most keyboards)?
3. Adding a cool glowing LCD panel?
- That at least has a spiffy equalizer
- And shows other neat-o stuff?
4. Input/Output selector?

Yep, the ATI AIW 9800 Pro is the way to go, and its remote solves all kinds of problems. What motherboard would you recommend? (It would have to deliver 5.1 digital output, minimum!)

MerryOtter

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd probably go with the P4P800-VM. And ignore it's onboard video in favor of the AIW 9800 Pro.

The nice thing about Micro ATX boards is, if you already have one PCI card in place and decide to upgrade the audio, you have 2 more slots available!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Zuidema

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2003
Ooops, sorry that board IS micro-ATX after all. Now about this ADI 1980 sound stuff, is does it output 5.1 digital audio on the S/PDIF or just stereo?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you're not familiar with the Asus motherboard mentioned in this thread, it can be found at:

<A HREF="http://www.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4p800-vm/overview.htm" target="_new">http://www.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4p800-vm/overview.htm</A>

It's a Micro ATX motherboard and fits the Cooler master case mentioned, so Zuidema is out of the running.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, jk. Anyway, it looks like they substituted the S/PDIF connectors with a Video Output on this model, so you'd need the breakout cable (Asus is thoughtfull enough to require you to purchase these separately, newegg sells them).

On both onboard and breakout cable S/PDIF connections, all channels are available digitally.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
But I was responding to your earlier message, I have email notification. And I hadn't read the next response yet!