Lenova laptop bsod...need HELP please!

ero

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Ok....I have a Lenova with Win7. In normal mode it will get a blue screen that doesn\'t stay long enough to read and the shuts down. It will run in safe mode. In safe mode I ran a quick virus scan, nothing. Ran a full scan and found several nasties. Took care of those. Ran the system repair several times to no avail. Tried system restore as far as I could go back, no help. Ran memory diagnostics , all ok. Ran sfg/scannow, said files were fine. However in the system repair details I got system file integrity check and repair failed = 0x490. Another thing, when the system stayed up for a couple of minutes in normal mode I noticed that all security was off. Tried to turn it on and got blue screen and shut down. Any ideas would be much appreciated.....I am about at the point of a wipe and reload......Thanks in advance! .....Ruth

Solution

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

One issue at a time. It sounds like you have some serious software issues. Image the entire hard drive (or take the drive out and copy to another computer your crucial files, and be aware that they may be infected, so do a scan on them on the other computer), then a complete reinstall with Win7, and format the hard disk at the install screen where it detects your hard drives.

You MAY or MAY NOT have hard ware issues, but solve the software issues first, and if the BSOD goes away, then there is no point to go further.

ero

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Thanks maxx_power for the prompt reply.
That is the conclusion I had come too also was a complete wipe and re-install is necessary. The computer is a friends and this is not the first time that he has brought me the computer with serious trojans /viruses on it. However before I was able to get it working again. Luckily he says there is nothing on it that he cares about so I will just wipe and re-install. One question though.....I have never used the restore partition on a laptop and I don't know if it gives you a format option or not....what has your experience been? If not I will have to see if I can dig up my win7 disc.........

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

If you use the restore partition, usually the partition is literally "imaged" over to the OS partition. It will wipe all of the OS partition clean. In that case, you don't need to manually format.

Since your friend has this frequently, you can create an image for him using Acronis for example, and every time this happens, it is an easy image. This is assuming you or your friend didn't like the factory image in that restore partition. If you have a restore partition, that's the quickest way.

ero

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Thank-you.....hopefully this will fix things and I don't find hardware problems too, but it has run fine in safe mode so hopefully not. Thanks again!

ero

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Well, I re-installed the os. Seemed to work fine for a few minutes....downloaded security essentials and virus definition updates......and then...BSOD...I did disable the auto start so that I could read the technical info, but not sure where to get info on what it means....One other thing, I had a couple of items that needed proper drivers and I pulled them from the Lenova partition that contained the drivers....

So maxx_power if you are out there or anyone else wants to chime in, I am all ears so to speak....really want to get this fixed ! :( :( :??:

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

I'm here still. If you have the message that the BSOD gave you, just take a picture of it with a camera or write it down and post it here (or you can look on google to see what it means).

Is it consistent ? If the BSODs always give you the same error, it is likely a component failing, if it is random, you might be having some memory issues.

Is the laptop fan running okay ? Check for dust and overheat issues.

ero

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Thanks maxx_power.....

I have checked the bsod 3 times and each time I get something different in the numbers....It starts out with stop: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005,0x83170487,0x983DE754,0x00000000)
ataport.sys address 83170487 base at 8316A000, date stamp 4ce788e8

next one- stop: 0xc0000008E (0xc0000005,0x830E2487,0x8059E754,0x00000000)
ataport.sys address 830E2487 base at 830DC000 (same date stamp)

.......3rd time stop:0x0000008E (0xc0000005,0x830F6487,0x99ED7754,0x00000000)
ataport.sys-address 830F6487 base at 830F0000,( date stamp...same.)

I did run the memory diagnostics when I was trying to repair the os....maybe need to run memtest....anyway, I tried to run speccy to check system temps but windows crashes before it finishes....system feels a little warm, warmer then my new one for sure, but not to where it will burn you like some I've seen...fan is running and pumping out warm air.....only area that feels really warm....

I definitely appreciate your time and thoughts on this matter....

kissingman

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
"ataport.sys address 83170487 base at 8316A000, date stamp 4ce788e8"

Seems this problem is due to your HDD.

1. Entering BIOS and to see which mode you are using now in "SATA MODE" option.

2. Usually, the default selection is "AHCI mode". If you are using "IDE mode". try to change it back to "AHCI Mode", or just restore the default settings in BIOS.

3. If the problem remains, try to put out the HDD of the laptop, and connecting it to other desktop's mobo. Then run HDD TUNE on desktop to check whether there are bad sectors on the disk.

By the way, it would be well to update the driver of this laptop. Perhaps there is the key point of the solution.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Yep, this is a stop related to the HDD controller. Check in the BIOS and change that AHCI mode to IDE, or vice versa. Your restored image probably had a driver loaded for the controller but the BIOS setting is different.

ero

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Thanks kissingman for the reply......do you know what the other ataport.sys and stop: addresses mean? I get different ones....
Also I ran memtest and it passed. I am currently running PC Check which takes a good while. When it finishes I will check the hdd info in bios. Question, when you say update laptop driver are you meaning bios update ? and also, why would the system stay up and work fine in safe mode if it was overheating, or had some other severe hardware failure. I realize certain drivers are disabled , but .......................... :??:

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

I think those are just addresses in the memory where the data was when the crash occurred. It might be a little different every time. The error code is the more important one. However, if the error code changes, and the memory location stays the same, then you can be sure it is the memory.

Anyway, Tinker with your BIOS SATA controller setting and try the other option in that field, if it is currently "AHCI" change it to the other option, usually to the tune of "IDE". Then try booting, if it is the opposite, you can swap it the other way as well.

As for over heating, some computers have issues with poorly cooled integrated GPU's when one fan dies. If you boot in safe mode, that integrated GPU has no real work to do because 3D desktop acceleration is disabled and rendering is done on CPU instead. So long as your CPU fan works, then your safe mode will not crash (for a while).

Try that hard drive controller setting in BIOS, then see what happens.

ero

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Ahhh.....thanks maxx_power, that makes sense. Out of curiosity which number is the error code ?

I will definitely try what you guys said re: bios hdd settings......PC Check is still running, actually checking hdd now. Memory has all tested ok.

As far as safe mode, I was wondering if the ATi video driver being disabled might be why it worked in safe mode.( I had to re-install that driver after the os install)......but wasn't thinking about the GPU being disabled......One fan is definitely working, really blows hot air! How can I tell if the other fan is dead without opening up the laptop?Dirt in there is a good possibility....I am sure he has never blown out the computer since he got it. The exterior was filthy......

Anyway I really appreciate the help.....I do much better with desktops...lol

Both fans sound to be running, system feels pretty warm though.....

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

The error code is this part "0x0000008E" it is characteristic of the type of failure. You can just google that part, although 0x0000008E is symptomatic of a AHCI-IDE driver-bios mismatch.

For the GPU, that was just based on experience with other laptops, this may not apply to you. Some laptops have more than 1 fan, some only have 1 but a heatpipe heat sink solution that cools both the CPU and GPU, and sometimes the chipset as well.

If you have only 1 vent on the computer, you can be pretty sure there is only 1 fan. You can try blowing it out with a big straw, or just mouth to computer. A can of compressed air (or air compressor) works great.

ero

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Thank-you for that info.......good to know what I am looking for in that string of numbers, probably in one of my books but much easier to ask...lol

Evidently this only has one fan....has two small vents on the bottom that seem to be drawing cool air and one on the side that blows very warm air. I am out of compressed air but suggested that my friend buy a can....I will do what I can.

Last question , hopefully :)....If it turns out that this is a mismatch in bios causing the bsod, then is this separate from the previous issue ? What do you think? ( as soon as the hdd diagnostics finish, I will escape out and check the bios.....figure it won't hurt to go ahead and let the diagnostics run...

ero

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Wellll............Tests finished....all passed. Tried switching the SATA controller to IDE and the system wouldn't load ...bsod immediately. Switched back and loaded os in normal mode...... same symptoms....bsod same error code.

Any more ideas? I am am totally at a loss here.....

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

In this case, one more thing to try before we conclude that there is a hardware fault. Try leaving the BIOS in AHCI mode, and install Windows 7 (or whatever OS) from scratch. If the error still occurs, there is likely a problem with the controller subsystem since you said the HDD passed the test(s).

If the problem goes away, then it is a driver issue associated with the whatever version of driver that came with the laptop.

Also, do you have a spare laptop hard drive ?

ero

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
In this case, one more thing to try before we conclude that there is a hardware fault. Try leaving the BIOS in AHCI mode, and install Windows 7 (or whatever OS) from scratch. If the error still occurs, there is likely a problem with the controller subsystem since you said the HDD passed the test(s).

If the problem goes away, then it is a driver issue associated with the whatever version of driver that came with the laptop.

Also, do you have a spare laptop hard drive ?

I did install from scratch.....couldn't use the partition for some reason. However, I think I found the problem. I ran TDSSKiller and it found a rootkit on the drive. System is working so far. Finally got temp readings and I think they are a little high...not sure what they ought to be....of course I have run the system kinda hard with all the tests and reboots...
Anyway, they have calmed down a little...55c cpu, 54c mobo, 52c hdd...................They were in the 60"s

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Higher temperatures are okay for laptops. Just try to clean up as much of the clogging dust as possible to make sure it doesn't cook itself. I have heard of a few MBR/BIOS based rootkitting type of malware that comes back no matter what you do short of redoing the MBR (can be done with the windows boot cd) or reflashing the BIOS and then clearing the CMOS.

ero

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Higher temperatures are okay for laptops. Just try to clean up as much of the clogging dust as possible to make sure it doesn't cook itself. I have heard of a few MBR/BIOS based rootkitting type of malware that comes back no matter what you do short of redoing the MBR (can be done with the windows boot cd) or reflashing the BIOS and then clearing the CMOS.

Ok,,,I have another question....I formatted when I loaded the os and I also ran bootsect from cmd and the rootkit was still there....so how do I go about making sure it is gone?
The only thing left I guess is to reflash the bios and clear the cmos.....

This thing had totally disable the antivirus and firewall.....btw is windows defender supposed to work with MS Security essentials Or does Security Essentials turn it off?

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

I guess this depends on the exact rootkit. BUT, try loading up the windows install CD, get the repair command prompt (forgot exact name), and issue a fix MBR command, like this:

http://remove-malware.com/antimalware/anti-malware-howto/getting-rid-of-mbr-rootkits-bootkit/

Then check to see if it is gone. I have only heard of 1 BIOS rootkit, and it is pretty rare, so I think this fix mbr will solve that problem.

Solution

ero

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Sorry it has taken so long for me to reply....my internet is spotty......:(

Anyway I think I have it cleaned....Malware bytes , Security Essentials and TDSSKiller can't find anything else.......but I have been having a little trouble getting Windows Security updates installed....however that could be internet related.... Thanks for all your help and I will keep you posted....Got to take a little break from it and run into town.....Will try everything again later.

ero

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Well, it appears the the system is clean now....

The items removed were : rootkit.boot.pihar.c
Alureon.gen! f
Alureon.gen!.ad
Dos/Alureon j
Hacktool: win32/wpakill.b

Several of these only showed up as "forged files " until I ran....look for TDLFS....then they showed up as Trojans

I think I wrote all of this down right.....Anyway, thank -you so much for all your help. Definitely appreciated!!! :D