Windows 7 Upgrade question

hilbz462

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Hey Guys!

So Im trying to install my windows 7 upgrade version onto my SSD in the hope of having the SSD run my OS/1 Game and then have all the other files/programs saved to my HDD.

Anyways, I did a clean install of my windows 7 using the custom settings, but my product key is invalid when I try and enter it.
Im assuming that this is because I still have windows 7 installed on my HDD.

So, question is... If I want to activate my new windows 7 on ym ssd I probably have to remove windows 7 from my hdd. Can I just go to "my computer" and format the drive? or is there some other way that I must go about this?

Also, I did not install windows using ACHI as every time I tried to boot from cd/dvd while in AHCI I would just get a black screen witha flashign white line. I dont really care too much, but for curiosity sakes how much faster would AHCI be if it actually worked? and if there is a significant difference, is there a way to use AHCI after installation or must I do another clean install and somehow bypass the black screen/flashing white line?

hilbz462

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011

I had tried to install using AHCI settings in bios.

I removed the old HDD, and had only the SSD and CD/DVD drive connected. Booted to BIOS, set to AHCI then save and exit.
The computer reboots and it goes to the black screen with white line and stays there. Is there a way around this?