Will LiveSynth Pro work with Cakewalk Home Studio 2?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
August 26, 2005 7:48:01 AM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

The title pretty much says it all. Wondering if LiveSynth works with the
Home Studio 2 version of Cakewalk.

Thanks
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 7:48:02 AM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

By coincidence I just tried LiveSynth Pro with HS2002 yesterday. I'm
guessing Home Studio 2 is newer. Found LiveSynth Pro for download free,
installed it and it worked. Sort of. On my computer there was a pretty
big delay playing soundfonts live, I was better off recording with my
keyboard's piano sound (no real delay) and then after recording
switching to playback through LiveSynth. For some reason, when I went
to save the file it slowed my computer right down and CPU usage went to
100%. I was able to export a wave generated from LiveSynth, though.

Also found SFZ, which works well as a standalone player, but couldn't
try it in HS2002 as it's VST and i don't have a VST-DXi wrapper.

To be honest I'm seriously considering getting my SoundBlaster Live
back as a dedicated Soundfont player alongside my Echo audio card. Just
works so painlessly, even if the outputs aren't the greatest quality.

Hope that gets you somewhere.
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 5:38:57 PM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

The entity known as TwentyOneHourSunday, posted:

> Found LiveSynth Pro for download free

Where was this? Even though Liveupdate went outta biz, I'm pretty sure
that there was a company who bought out their technology and still owns
the copyright. Livesynth Pro plays great in real time on my machine with
Sonar, and I'm sure it would do the same with a properly configured copy
of Home Studio.

--
Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to Reply by email
________ ____

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Ditto here, also I didn't think you can LEGALLY get LS pro anymore?
Frank L

"Glennbo" <vdrumsYourHeadFromYourAss@cox.net> wrote in message
> The entity known as TwentyOneHourSunday, posted:
>
>> Found LiveSynth Pro for download free
>
> Where was this? Even though Liveupdate went outta biz, I'm pretty sure
> that there was a company who bought out their technology and still owns
> the copyright. Livesynth Pro plays great in real time on my machine with
> Sonar, and I'm sure it would do the same with a properly configured copy
> of Home Studio.
>
> --
> Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to Reply by email
> ________ ____
> / ____/ /__ ____ ____ / __ )____
> / / __/ / _ \/ __ \/ __ \/ __ / __ \
> / /_/ / / __/ / / / / / / /_/ / /_/ /
> \____/_/\___/_/ /_/_/ /_/_____/\____/
> Glennbo These go to eleven
> Non-Linear Sound http://www.soundclick.com/glennbo
> Hear My Music http://www.soundclick.com/jambits

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 5:38:58 PM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Glennbo,

> Livesynth Pro plays great in real time on my machine <

Here too. Even Doc's 933 MHz computer should be fine, assuming he has it
tweaked properly with all the standard stuff.

--Ethan
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 5:38:59 PM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hi Doc,

Yep, LiveSynth Pro should work fine. The company is no longer around and you
can't get the software any longer, as far as I know. At least, not legally.
I had written up a review of LSP a while back, in case anyone is interested:
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/reviewdetails.asp?Prod...

Best regards,
Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - Author of Cakewalk, Sound Forge and Sound Forge 6,
SONAR, SONAR 2, SONAR 3 and Sonar 4 Power! books.

Publisher of DigiFreq. Win a free copy of Cakewalks' Sonar Home Studio 4
music sequencing software and learn cool music technology tips and
techniques by getting a FREE subscription to DigiFreq... over 17,000 readers
can't be wrong! Go to:

"Ethan Winer" <ethanw at ethanwiner dot com> wrote in message
> Glennbo,
>
> > Livesynth Pro plays great in real time on my machine <
>
> Here too. Even Doc's 933 MHz computer should be fine, assuming he has it
> tweaked properly with all the standard stuff.
>
> --Ethan

August 26, 2005 5:58:01 PM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 26 Aug 2005, "TwentyOneHourSunday"
<michaelsloggett@optusnet.com.au> wrote in

> Also found SFZ, which works well as a standalone player, but
> couldn't try it in HS2002 as it's VST and i don't have a VST-DXi
> wrapper.

Have you used SFZ in Sonar? Does it work as well as Livesynth Pro? Does
it take much more resources than LSP? Does it have any more or better
features, or is there some other advantage over LSP?
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 7:12:41 PM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

SFZ works fine. I no longer use LSP because I have dual processors and LSP
is not "thread safe".

Steven

"Nil" <rednoise@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote in message
> On 26 Aug 2005, "TwentyOneHourSunday"
> <michaelsloggett@optusnet.com.au> wrote in
>
>> Also found SFZ, which works well as a standalone player, but
>> couldn't try it in HS2002 as it's VST and i don't have a VST-DXi
>> wrapper.
>
> Have you used SFZ in Sonar? Does it work as well as Livesynth Pro? Does
> it take much more resources than LSP? Does it have any more or better
> features, or is there some other advantage over LSP?
August 26, 2005 9:02:31 PM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Ive used LSP for a while now.....works fine for me......
MC

I wondering how anyone can "download a legal copy"....without purchasing
it.....(mine is purchased...)

"Doc" <docsavage20@xhotmail.com> wrote in message
> The title pretty much says it all. Wondering if LiveSynth works with the
> Home Studio 2 version of Cakewalk.
>

> Thanks

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 9:17:44 PM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

did a little research in google groups, found that LiveSynth's creators
had gone out of business, and also found a link for the download. It
certainly appears now that the so-called "nice guy" offering this
download was not doing it legally, so i won't be publishing the link
myself.

I have not tried SFZ in Sonar, as I only have HS2002. Not sure of the
comparitive merits of LSPro v SFZ, I just found that SFZ worked
straight up and was stable, so if I had a VST-Dxi wrapper I would be
keen to try SFZ in HS2002.

However, as I've indicated before, I definitely see the worth of having
an SBLive card for dedicated soundfont playback. It 'just works' and,
all things considered, is probably one of the cheapest options too.

Cheers.
August 26, 2005 11:41:26 PM

> I have not tried SFZ in Sonar, as I only have HS2002. Not sure of
> the comparitive merits of LSPro v SFZ, I just found that SFZ
> worked straight up and was stable, so if I had a VST-Dxi wrapper I
> would be keen to try SFZ in HS2002.

After I asked the question I installed SFZ myself and have been playing
with it for a couple of hours. It could be useful in some situations,
but for general soundfont playback, it's too resource-intensive for my
aged computer. LSP is pretty lean, so I'll mostly stick to that for
now, I guess.

One thing LSP can do that SFZ can't, as far as I can tell, is keep
multiple soundfonts in memory. It seems that if you want to play two
soundfonts, you'd have to load two copies of SFZ, which would surely
bring my computer to its knees. OTOH, SFT can load a wave file and you
can use it as a sampler, varying the pitch via MIDI. I bet SFZ can do
other clever things, but there's no documentation and I can't find any
on the KVR site, so I may never know.
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 2:25:40 PM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Nil,

> I installed SFZ myself ... it's too resource-intensive <

I never tried SFZ because I always assumed it uses more CPU than LSP. It's a
native VST plug-in, so even in Sonar 4 it has to be converted. If you get a
chance to create a sample project with one instance of each, I'd be
interested in learning the CPU load numbers you measure.

> One thing LSP can do ... is keep multiple soundfonts in memory. <

Yes, but I never do that. One big advantage of LSP over the SoundBlaster
hardware is you can have different effects on each instrument. With a
SoundBlaster card, in order to EQ the bass you also get the same EQ on the
drums and piano etc. Same for all other FX except reverb and phasing which
are native. But then you're stuck with the quality of those on-board
effects. So I use a new LSP for every instrument (or group, like strings),
and can process them separately, send them to a better reverb on a buss, and
so forth.

--Ethan
August 27, 2005 5:36:10 PM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 27 Aug 2005, "Ethan Winer" <ethanw at ethanwiner dot com> wrote
in news:s6udncCreKp76o3eRVn-ig@giganews.com:

> I never tried SFZ because I always assumed it uses more CPU than
> LSP. It's a native VST plug-in, so even in Sonar 4 it has to be
> converted.

I don't notice much of a difference in CPU between natice DXi and
VST plugins. There may be more difference in some than in others.

> So I use a new LSP for every instrument (or group, like strings),
> and can process them separately, send them to a better reverb on a
> buss, and so forth.

I do it both ways, depending on the situation. It's nice to be able
to hold a couple of sound fonts in one LSP instance to help conserve
resources, which is a major consideration with my ancient 450MhZ
PIII.
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 7:21:53 PM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In news:s6udncCreKp76o3eRVn-ig@giganews.com the killer robot "Ethan Winer"
<ethanw at ethanwiner dot com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...

> Yes, but I never do that. One big advantage of LSP over the SoundBlaster
> hardware is you can have different effects on each instrument.

A HUGE advantage to using *any* softsynth over a hardware synth, is that
when it comes time to create a stereo wave file for making a CD or MP3, the
virtual instrument does *not* have to be recorded as an audio track.
That's why all my digital drums are setup in Vsampler. The second I finish
recording a midi only track of drums, using my V-Drums as the controller, I
can export to wave, and I have the ability to put individual effects on
kick, snare, toms, or cymbals, just as if they were individual audio
tracks. When I used hardware for my drums, to achieve the same thing, IU
had to roll the song, at least four times to arrive at multiple audio
tracks for kick, snare, toms, and cymbals.

--
Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to reply by email.
_______ _____ ___ _____ ____
Glennbo These go to eleven
Non-Linear Sound http://www.soundclick.com/glennbo
Hear My Music http://www.soundclick.com/jambits
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 10:35:15 AM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"TwentyOneHourSunday" <michaelsloggett@optusnet.com.au> wrote in

> did a little research in google groups, found that LiveSynth's creators
> had gone out of business, and also found a link for the download. It
> certainly appears now that the so-called "nice guy" offering this
> download was not doing it legally, so i won't be publishing the link
> myself.
>
> I have not tried SFZ in Sonar, as I only have HS2002. Not sure of the
> comparitive merits of LSPro v SFZ, I just found that SFZ worked
> straight up and was stable, so if I had a VST-Dxi wrapper I would be
> keen to try SFZ in HS2002.
>
> However, as I've indicated before, I definitely see the worth of having
> an SBLive card for dedicated soundfont playback. It 'just works' and,
> all things considered, is probably one of the cheapest options too.
>
> Cheers.

You may want to try an update to Sonar Home Studio 4, ($59 for registered
Home Studio customers). It includes the adapter, which they sell
separately for $59.

Also, regarding SoundBlasters, Glennbo and Ethan Winer raised valid
points in their posts. Especially that it's so much quicker to bounce a
soft synth than to record output from hardware synth tracks. If you have
drums, bass, and piano parts on a 5 minute track, it will take 15 minutes
to record those from your sound card. If you have a softsynth playing
those parts, it will take about a minute and a half to bounce all three
tracks.

One other problem with soundblasters is that the midi and audio are
controlled by separate faders on the soundblaster control panel. Which
means that if, after setting down a project, you come back to it after
having listened to CDs or played games (in which time you would have
adjusted the volume), when you go back to your project you will find
everything out of balance. Either your midi tracks will be to quiet or
your audio tracks will be.

--
"It is not now, nor will it ever be, time for mumpcake"
Steve Alleman, reviewing "It's Time for Mumpcake" on cakewalk.audio

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/3/mumpcakemusic.htm
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 5:22:12 PM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Mumps,

> it's so much quicker to bounce a soft synth than to record output from
hardware synth tracks ... the midi and audio are controlled by separate
faders on the soundblaster control panel. <

Excellent points all.

--Ethan
!