Splitting up 6gb .wav

Long story short, I need to split a 6.07 GB 24/96 .wav file into several
smaller files (less than 2GB) so that I can edit them in Cubase SX. My
OS is Win2k. I have tried using the DOS program AudioHack, but the files
it outputs cause an unsupported format error message (even if I change
the extension to .raw). Also tried chopping up the region in Cubase, but
it won't read past 2 GB from the beginning of the .wav. Can anyone
suggest a utility or method to recover the remainder of the file? Thanks!

Jonny Durango
28 answers Last reply
More about splitting

    Sounds like we need a "stream editor" for .wav files... something which
    understands how to simply break it up into chunks with appropriate
    headers. Should be trivial to write, actually, since .wavs are (I
    believe) a relatively simple file format...

    "Jonny Durango" <jonnydurango1BUSH_FROM_OFFICE@comcast.net>
    wrote in message news:ePOdnetU99peV5PeRVn-jg@comcast.com

    > Long story short, I need to split a 6.07 GB 24/96 .wav
    > file into several smaller files (less than 2GB) so that I
    > can edit them in Cubase SX. My OS is Win2k. I have tried
    > using the DOS program AudioHack, but the files it outputs
    > cause an unsupported format error message (even if I
    > change the extension to .raw). Also tried chopping up the
    > region in Cubase, but it won't read past 2 GB from the
    > beginning of the .wav. Can anyone suggest a utility or
    > method to recover the remainder of the file? Thanks!

    Seems like a program like Audition/CE which supports raw
    formats, is what you need to deal with the files coming out
    of AudioHack.

    Raw format is basically .wav file format with no headers. It
    looks like Audiohack is literally chopping the files, which
    results in a file with no headers.

    In article <-62dncldkOGIl5LeRVn-2Q@comcast.com>,
    Joe Kesselman <keshlam-nospam@comcast.net> wrote:
    >Sounds like we need a "stream editor" for .wav files... something which
    >understands how to simply break it up into chunks with appropriate
    >headers. Should be trivial to write, actually, since .wavs are (I
    >believe) a relatively simple file format...

    There's a set of command line utilities that allow you to extract sections
    of .wav files. I know they were written for the SGI and they show up on
    Cook's web list of SGI audio utilities, but I am sure they have been ported
    to Linux and OSX these days as well.

    wav files can be all kinds of things, but the most common format consists
    of alternating 16-bit or 32-bit words containing right and left samples,
    and a fixed 56-bit header saying what's inside. In fact, all you need to
    do is strip the header off, send it to the output, count off to the starting
    position, start copying the number of samples desired and copying them to
    the output, then ending. You could even do this with sed!
    --scott

    If your HDD is formatted as FAT32 you may be having trouble with a 2GB
    file-size limit inherent within that file system. If this is the case you
    could always try converting the HDD to NTFS which doesn't have this problem
    but BACK UP your stuff first! If not then I'd just download demo's of audio
    editors until you find one that will allow you to open the file, zoom right
    out and chop it up. File splitter apps will generally just chop the file
    without worrying about headers as the usual purpose is only to chop it up so
    it can be reassembled later. Obviously without the header info your chopped
    up wav files will be largely useless.

    Good luck

    Aidan

    > "Jonny Durango" <jonnydurango1BUSH_FROM_OFFICE@comcast.net>
    > wrote in message news:ePOdnetU99peV5PeRVn-jg@comcast.com
    >
    >> Long story short, I need to split a 6.07 GB 24/96 .wav
    >> file into several smaller files (less than 2GB) so that I
    >> can edit them in Cubase SX. My OS is Win2k. I have tried
    >> using the DOS program AudioHack, but the files it outputs
    >> cause an unsupported format error message (even if I
    >> change the extension to .raw). Also tried chopping up the
    >> region in Cubase, but it won't read past 2 GB from the
    >> beginning of the .wav. Can anyone suggest a utility or
    >> method to recover the remainder of the file? Thanks!
    >
    > Seems like a program like Audition/CE which supports raw formats, is what
    > you need to deal with the files coming out of AudioHack.
    >
    > Raw format is basically .wav file format with no headers. It looks like
    > Audiohack is literally chopping the files, which results in a file with no
    > headers.

    For your information- I just tried generating a 6 giga file with
    audition and it crashed brutally. Looks like the limit it can handle is
    4 giga.

    A WAV file can only be 4 gig in size - check out the WAV file spec.

    Rail
    --
    Recording Engineer/Software Developer
    Rail Jon Rogut Software

    <kleinebre@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > For your information- I just tried generating a 6 giga file with
    > audition and it crashed brutally. Looks like the limit it can handle is
    > 4 giga.

    "Jonny Durango" <jonnydurango1BUSH_FROM_OFFICE@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Long story short, I need to split a 6.07 GB 24/96 .wav file into several
    > smaller files (less than 2GB) so that I can edit them in Cubase SX. My OS
    > is Win2k. I have tried using the DOS program AudioHack, but the files it
    > outputs cause an unsupported format error message (even if I change the
    > extension to .raw). Also tried chopping up the region in Cubase, but it
    > won't read past 2 GB from the beginning of the .wav. Can anyone suggest a
    > utility or method to recover the remainder of the file? Thanks!
    >
    > Jonny Durango

    Hi Johnny,

    What application / system created this huge file in the first place?

    --
    John L Rice
    Drummer@ImJohn.com

    "Aiden" <Aiden@nospamherecwcom.net> wrote in message
    > If your HDD is formatted as FAT32 you may be having trouble with a 2GB
    > file-size limit inherent within that file system. If this is the case you
    > could always try converting the HDD to NTFS which doesn't have this
    problem

    I could be wrong, but I don't think Win2000 supports NTFS, I believe that
    you have to go to XP.

    Btw, a 6 gig single audio file??

    "Doc" <docsavage20@xhotmail.com> wrote in

    > "Aiden" <Aiden@nospamherecwcom.net> wrote in message
    >> If your HDD is formatted as FAT32 you may be having trouble with a
    >> 2GB file-size limit inherent within that file system. If this is the
    >> case you could always try converting the HDD to NTFS which doesn't
    >> have this
    > problem
    >
    > I could be wrong, but I don't think Win2000 supports NTFS, I believe
    > that you have to go to XP.

    You are.

    http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

    NT as in windows NT, which is a lot older than Win2K

    Forty Winks wrote:

    >> I could be wrong, but I don't think Win2000 supports NTFS, I believe
    >> that you have to go to XP.
    >
    > You are.
    >
    > http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm
    >
    > NT as in windows NT, which is a lot older than Win2K

    It's older than NT even, since it was largely taken from OS/2's HPFS
    (which is why they both have the same partition ID).

    --
    JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
    Anti-walkthroughs for Deus Ex, Thief and Ultima http://www.it-he.org

    J. P. Morris wrote:
    > Forty Winks wrote:
    >

    >>>I could be wrong, but I don't think Win2000 supports NTFS, I believe
    >>>that you have to go to XP.
    >>
    >>You are.
    >>
    >>http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm
    >>
    >>NT as in windows NT, which is a lot older than Win2K
    >

    > It's older than NT even, since it was largely taken from OS/2's HPFS
    > (which is why they both have the same partition ID).

    NT Aint' old

    Windows NT usually refers to Windows NT 4.0
    Windows NT 5.0 is Windows 2000
    Windows NT 5.1 is Windows XP
    Windows NT 5.2 is Windows 2003

    NT is ever evolving. Those new names are just for marketing.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT

    Oh and FAT32 is dead:)

    CD

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 13:44:05 +0100, J. P. Morris wrote:

    > Forty Winks wrote:
    >
    >>> I could be wrong, but I don't think Win2000 supports NTFS, I believe
    >>> that you have to go to XP.
    >>
    >> You are.
    >>
    >> http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm
    >>
    >> NT as in windows NT, which is a lot older than Win2K
    >
    > It's older than NT even, since it was largely taken from OS/2's HPFS
    > (which is why they both have the same partition ID).

    NTFS also borrows from the VMS file system, which in turn, was a copy
    of an error tolerant file system for papyrus scrolls.

    Arny Krueger wrote:

    > "Codifus" <codifus@optonline.net> wrote in message
    >> J. P. Morris wrote:

    >>> It's older than NT even, since it was largely taken from
    >>> OS/2's HPFS (which is why they both have the same
    >>> partition ID).
    >
    > NTFS is definately not HPFS nor was a majority of it taken
    > from HPFS. . Yes, the team that designed NTFS knew HPFS
    > internals, but they also knew about the internals of a lot
    > of other file systems including the VMS file system.

    Okay, I may be wrong there. I was under the impression that NTFS was forked
    from HPFS. I'm pretty certain that in the beginning both OS/2 and NT could
    use each other's filesystems before the relationship soured, but of course
    that doesn't mean they both used the same FS.

    --

    "J. P. Morris" <jpm@it-he.org> wrote in message
    > Arny Krueger wrote:
    >
    >> "Codifus" <codifus@optonline.net> wrote in message

    >> NTFS is definately not HPFS nor was a majority of it
    >> taken from HPFS. . Yes, the team that designed NTFS knew
    >> HPFS internals, but they also knew about the internals
    >> of a lot of other file systems including the VMS file
    >> system.

    > Okay, I may be wrong there.

    > I was under the impression
    > that NTFS was forked from HPFS.

    In some sense, just not "largely taken"

    > I'm pretty certain that
    > in the beginning both OS/2 and NT could use each other's
    > filesystems before the relationship soured,

    And after. NT could access a HPFS volume through NT 3.x.
    HPFS support was removed for NT 4.0.

    >but of course that doesn't mean they both used the same
    >FS.

    Agreed.

    "Forty Winks" <Yawn@bedtime.com> wrote in message

    > You are.
    >
    > http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm
    >
    > NT as in windows NT, which is a lot older than Win2K

    I guess the reason I thought that was I'd always heard Win2K was really a
    revamped version of 98SE. I never had any of the intermediate versions
    between 98SE and XP.

    "John L Rice" <Drummer@ImJohn.com> wrote in message
    > What application / system created this huge file in the first place?

    I was wondering if he has a recording of all of WWII from start to finish or
    something.

    "Doc" <docsavage20@xhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Forty Winks" <Yawn@bedtime.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> You are.
    >>
    >> http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm
    >>
    >> NT as in windows NT, which is a lot older than Win2K
    >
    > I guess the reason I thought that was I'd always heard
    > Win2K was really a revamped version of 98SE. I never had
    > any of the intermediate versions between 98SE and XP.

    NT pre-exists Win95!

    NT 3.1 was first delivered to the public a few months after
    Win 3.1, as I recall.

    The original plan was for Win95 to be based on a NT kernal,
    but the DOS program compatibility issues were too much.

    "Doc" <docsavage20@xhotmail.com> wrote in news:yi9Qe.3013$_84.0
    @newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

    > "Forty Winks" <Yawn@bedtime.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> You are.
    >>
    >> http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm
    >>
    >> NT as in windows NT, which is a lot older than Win2K
    >
    > I guess the reason I thought that was I'd always heard Win2K was really a
    > revamped version of 98SE. I never had any of the intermediate versions
    > between 98SE and XP.

    I think you may be thinking of Windows ME, which was a bit of a pig in an
    poke.

    >> NT as in windows NT, which is a lot older than Win2K
    >
    > I guess the reason I thought that was I'd always heard Win2K was really a
    > revamped version of 98SE. I never had any of the intermediate versions
    > between 98SE and XP.

    2K looks like 98, but under the hood it's an *entirely* different animal.

    There were two distinct OS paths, the business stuff (NT) and the consumer
    stuff (9x). NT4 became 2K with a major rework, including the new "95"
    interface and a lot, lot more. It was called NT5 before it was released. XP
    then came directly from 2K in 2001.

    95 begat 98, which became SE when they fixed a pile of bugs, which begat ME.
    ME seemed to be a public beta test of a bunch of eventual XP features. Major
    POS system that I wouldn't wish on anyone. The 9x line didn't lead to
    anything else, the line dead-ended at ME.

    -John O

    Doc wrote:
    > "John L Rice" <Drummer@ImJohn.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>What application / system created this huge file in the first place?
    >

    > I was wondering if he has a recording of all of WWII from start to finish or
    > something.

    lol, nope. It was recorded in Cubase SX 2.something.....it looked like
    it was writing audio right up until I stopped it at about 3 hours. I'm
    pretty sure the data is still there, it's just a matter of splitting the
    file up.

    If I use AudioHack to write new .wavs without any header info, will I
    have to spend all day to piece it back together, or just chop off the
    headers at the beginning and end? (ie. there aren't several headers in
    chunks located all over the place are there?) I don't care if I lose a
    few samples here and there, or even a few seconds (depending on what
    spot it's at). Thanks!

    Jonny Durango

    Hi Johnny,

    You need a sequential editor in order to handle something this big and,
    again, success cannot possibly be guaranteed.
    If it was a normal 44.1/16 audio file you could use one of plenty free
    utilities available on the web that could convert your file into RAW
    PCM format (like wav2raw). I haven't tried those with 24/96, and I've
    never compared the header differences for those files.
    FIRST, back your file up. It should fit onto a dual-layer DVD.
    Second, use a binary file splitter utility and split your file into
    smaller chunks. There are hundreds of utilities that can do this,
    SPLITS is one of them (just google: binary split files).
    Open the first file of the produced sequence with a binary editor and
    remove the header (you can check by yourself easily: create a very
    short 2496 wave file, save it and then convert it to raw and save the
    raw file as well; then open both files in the editor window and check
    out the difference).
    Try importing the chunks as raw files in a wave-editor and see if this
    is working out for you... since you mentioned that it won't be a
    catastrophe if a few seconds were lost!

    Good luck,

    Evangelos

    %
    Evangelos Himonides
    IoE, University of London
    tel: +44 2076126599
    fax: +44 2076126741
    "Allas to those who never sing but die with all their music in them..."

    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    %

    Doc wrote:
    > "Forty Winks" <Yawn@bedtime.com> wrote in message
    >

    >>You are.
    >>
    >>http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm
    >>
    >>NT as in windows NT, which is a lot older than Win2K
    >

    > I guess the reason I thought that was I'd always heard Win2K was really a
    > revamped version of 98SE. I never had any of the intermediate versions
    > between 98SE and XP.

    The split between modern and legacy Microsoft OSes goes like this;

    OBSOLETE
    Windows 95
    Windows 98 (all versions)
    Windows NT 3.1
    Windows NT 3.51

    Windows ME

    MODERN
    Windows NT 4.0
    Windows 2000
    Windows XP
    Windows 2003

    Windows ME should really have its own special classification because MS
    tried to combine some of the newer technoligies with the old in that OS.
    It's dead anyhow.

    CD

    John L Rice
    Drummer@ImJohn.com

    > Doc wrote:
    >> "John L Rice" <Drummer@ImJohn.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>What application / system created this huge file in the first place?
    >>

    >> I was wondering if he has a recording of all of WWII from start to finish
    >> or
    >> something.
    >>

    > lol, nope. It was recorded in Cubase SX 2.something.....it looked like it
    > was writing audio right up until I stopped it at about 3 hours. I'm pretty
    > sure the data is still there, it's just a matter of splitting the file up.

    Hi Johhny,

    Did you ask over on http://www.cubase.net/phpbb2/ yet? Chances are that if
    it's possible someone there has tried it.

    Best of luck!

    --
    John L Rice
    Drummer@ImJohn.com

    "Jonny Durango" <jonnydurango1BUSH_FROM_OFFICE@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Long story short, I need to split a 6.07 GB 24/96 .wav file into several
    > smaller files (less than 2GB) so that I can edit them in Cubase SX. My
    > OS is Win2k. I have tried using the DOS program AudioHack, but the files
    > it outputs cause an unsupported format error message (even if I change
    > the extension to .raw). Also tried chopping up the region in Cubase, but
    > it won't read past 2 GB from the beginning of the .wav. Can anyone
    > suggest a utility or method to recover the remainder of the file? Thanks!

    OK, I've reproduced the problem in Cubasis on Win2K. You can creat a .wav
    file as large as you like; however, a .wav file contains a 32-bit header
    containing the length of the data.

    What you get in the header is the low-order 32 bits of the data length; so
    for your 6GB file, you get the data-length minus 4GB, which is where the 2GB
    comes from.

    I think I can help you recover the data if you still have the problem; let
    me know if you still need help, and I'll get onto it tomorrow evening.
    (It's now past midnight here, and I
    have a job interview tomorrow.)

    Tim.

    "Tim Martin" <tim2718281@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > (It's now past midnight here, and I
    > have a job interview tomorrow.)
    >
    > Tim.

    Tim,

    How'd the interview go? ;-)

    --
    John L Rice
    Drummer@ImJohn.com

    Jonny Durango wrote:
    > Long story short, I need to split a 6.07 GB 24/96 .wav file into several
    > smaller files (less than 2GB) so that I can edit them in Cubase SX. My
    > OS is Win2k. I have tried using the DOS program AudioHack, but the files
    > it outputs cause an unsupported format error message (even if I change
    > the extension to .raw). Also tried chopping up the region in Cubase, but
    > it won't read past 2 GB from the beginning of the .wav. Can anyone
    > suggest a utility or method to recover the remainder of the file? Thanks!
    >
    > Jonny Durango

    cut file, then compose again

    XEDIT.EXE
    http://xedit.smike.ru
    for huge files more than several Gig use:
    "Tools"->"Fragmentize File" to pieces
    If you want for gather file again from pieces use:
    "Tools"->"Compose File" from pieces

    > How'd the interview go? ;-)

    Well, it seemed OK ... but they haven't offered me the job, so I guess I
    missed it.

    My offer to write the code still stands, if Jonny Durango still has the
    problem.

    Tim

    Jonny Durango wrote:
    > Long story short, I need to split a 6.07 GB 24/96 .wav file into several
    > smaller files (less than 2GB) so that I can edit them in Cubase SX. My
    > OS is Win2k. I have tried using the DOS program AudioHack, but the files
    > it outputs cause an unsupported format error message (even if I change
    > the extension to .raw). Also tried chopping up the region in Cubase, but
    > it won't read past 2 GB from the beginning of the .wav. Can anyone
    > suggest a utility or method to recover the remainder of the file? Thanks!
    >
    > Jonny Durango

    Just for the record, and for anybody else who might have this problem in
    the future, I solved the issue by splitting up the .wav with AudioHack,
    a command line based program and then repairing the output files in
    Samplitude. The whole process went something like this:

    1) Put the oversized .wav file (example: audio.wav) in the same folder
    as AudioHack
    2) Run AudioHack and it will ask for a input filename, so type "audio.wav"
    3) Then it will ask for the output #1 filename, type "audio1.wav"
    4) Then it will ask for output #2 which is the remaining portion of the
    ..wav "audio2.wav"
    5) Open audio1.wav in Samplitude, it will give you an error message
    saying it's damaged. Tell it to open anyway and specify the type of .wav
    file it is, in my case 24/96k/stereo.
    6) Make sure everything sounds right and export it to "Audio_1.wav"
    7) If audio2.wav is less than 2gb, open it in Samplitude and follow the
    same steps, if it's larger (as it was my case) start over from step 2,
    changing the filenames of course

    Also, if you want to run AudioHack with the /H or /N switches, you'll
    have to open the windows command prompt, cd to the folder that audiohack
    is in, and type "audiohack /n" or "audiohack /h" ....for me it worked
    just fine without doing this

    Anyway, I stayed up until 4am burning the 24 and 16-bit masters onto DVD
    and had to catch a plane at 6:30am ....whew! Thanks a TON to everyone
    who helped!! You really saved my arse!

    Jonny Durango

Pro Audio Cubase Audio