Sign in with
Your question

Win 7 install cd/dvd driver missing error

Last response: in Windows 7
March 4, 2010 10:02:43 PM

*Like a number of posters here, I have been trying to install an OEM version of Win7 home premium (64-bit) on a self-built computer. It's the original disc, not a copy or iso.

Windows (obviously) starts to install, but hangs up at this point, so the drive works, the problem lies elsewhere. I'm not upgrading from a previous version, but I've encountered the same problem with that approach, too.

My drive is a Samsung SH-s223 (SATA), and I'm beginning to think it's not possible to install Win7 using this drive (despite its supposed compatibility).

*Edit* I swapped the Samsung with an older Plextor, and the same problem occurs. I'm now creating an ISO of the Win7 disc and will attempt to install from a USB key (4GB).

*Edit* I flashed the BIOS (MSI 790FX-GD70), but windows still hangs at the last step (completing installation), saying that it cannot prepare the hard drive for boot and I must restart installation. When I provided the RAID driver for installation, windows broke the RAID into three areas: 100MB for system use, 2TB for the primary partition, and about 45GB that it cannot use (got another error message when I tried to partition it.

I used Microsoft's utility to make transfer the Win 7 ISO to the usb key; will it make any difference if I use a larger (8GB) key? I'm pretty much out of ideas at this point.
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
March 5, 2010 11:27:24 PM

You will likely need an 8GB USB drive for the 64-bit version.
m
l
March 6, 2010 9:13:07 AM

I'll try that, too. Since my last post I tried the usb install, received an "error 80300001" (had to replace Win 7 install disk/key after loading RAID driver, which install program doesn't tell you), and then Win 7 could not complete the install without explaining why--it just said setup data would not be saved and to redo the installation.

I'm installing a RAID 5 from four 750GB drives; does Win 7 have a limitation preventing installation on a drive/partition of that capacity? I am now attempting to flash the BIOS, as my board (MSI 790FX-GD70) did not originally support hard drives/partitions greater than 1TB. This is complicated by the fact that MSI calls for a floppy drive to flash the BIOS, and I've been trying different utilities to make a usb key bootable from WinXP--really a pain.

I'll edit this post again once I've flashed the BIOS, and determined whether that's preventing Win 7 from completing the install.
m
l
Related resources
March 7, 2010 9:49:17 PM

I've managed to install Win 7, but it's unstable. Getting frequent BSODs, which could be a driver issue or any of several other causes, so I'll stop adding to this post.
m
l
March 15, 2010 11:22:23 AM

treefrog07 said:
You will likely need an 8GB USB drive for the 64-bit version.

The 4GB key doesn't seem to have been the problem; MSI sent me a BIOS update that helped with the drivers in the Win 7 install package (I can finish the install ok, but can't load the graphics driver from ATI). The most recent set of drivers from ATI have brought their own set of problems (v.10.2), so I've been trying to work that out. At this point, I'm attempting to install the 32-bit version of Win 7, or failing that, just install WinXP.
m
l
March 22, 2010 4:33:20 AM

After doing a little more troubleshooting, it appears one of the graphics cards is bad. I tried the install with the good card, and have had zero problems so far. When I get the other back from the vendor RMA, I'll see how they do under crossfire.
m
l
!