jh-24 service question

Last response: in Home Audio
August 26, 2005 2:52:28 PM

I'm working on an MCI JH-24 which goes into rewind whether you hit Fast
Forward, Rewind or Locate. I've just disconnected the Auto-Locator and
the symptoms still exist when using the controls on the deck itself.

Kris Poulin
Chicago, IL

More about : service question

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 10:09:17 PM

"krispoulin" <kris@lacerati.com> wrote in message news:1125078748.742806.90750@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> I'm working on an MCI JH-24 which goes into rewind whether you hit Fast
> Forward, Rewind or Locate. I've just disconnected the Auto-Locator and
> the symptoms still exist when using the controls on the deck itself.
>
> Kris Poulin
> Chicago, IL

Hi Kris,

Shoot an e-mail to Steve Sadler <bae_steve@yahoo.com> at Blevins
in Nashville, or just go to the website: http://www.blevinsaudioexchange.com

A phone call will get you some good starting points: 615-242-0599

There are few people who can help you with more proficiency than Steve.
If he's got time to speak with you, be at the machine with a meter in hand
and the manual handy, ready to answer questions.

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com

sounds to me like problems in the motor drive amp(s).
probably 2N3055('s) dead.
when replacing: make sure to use the 2N3055H type !! last longer and
prevents the annoying situation having to keep replacing blown 2N3055's.
also check resistors there.

have fun,

richard
August 31, 2005 3:06:58 PM

krispoulin <kris@lacerati.com> wrote:
>I'm working on an MCI JH-24 which goes into rewind whether you hit Fast
>Forward, Rewind or Locate. I've just disconnected the Auto-Locator and
>the symptoms still exist when using the controls on the deck itself.

Is it really going into rewind, or it just that the supply reel motor
is kicking on full in all modes?

You need first to figure out if it's a control mode problem or a reel
motor controller problem.
--scott

September 1, 2005 1:33:44 AM

That is a very common problem with the Jh-24's. The transister mentioned
earlier is located inside one of the power supply boxes at the bottom of
the deck(with the fans on them), on a large heat sink in the chimney,
very hidden if you dont' know where to look.

I'm also in chicago, If you really get stuck send me a private email.

Twist Turner
http://tinyurl.com/ul70
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 2:09:48 AM

On 31 Aug 2005 11:06:58 -0400, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>krispoulin <kris@lacerati.com> wrote:
>>I'm working on an MCI JH-24 which goes into rewind whether you hit Fast
>>Forward, Rewind or Locate. I've just disconnected the Auto-Locator and
>>the symptoms still exist when using the controls on the deck itself.
>
>Is it really going into rewind, or it just that the supply reel motor
>is kicking on full in all modes?
>
>You need first to figure out if it's a control mode problem or a reel
>motor controller problem.
>--scott

One big clue would be if the tape shields drop . . .

Kurt Riemann
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 11:58:48 AM

<Kurt Riemann> wrote in message news:o 2rfh1hgamqv6cvkbj336g9dj5dc9aph9t@4ax.com...
> On 31 Aug 2005 11:06:58 -0400, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>
> >krispoulin <kris@lacerati.com> wrote:
> >>I'm working on an MCI JH-24 which goes into rewind whether you hit Fast
> >>Forward, Rewind or Locate. I've just disconnected the Auto-Locator and
> >>the symptoms still exist when using the controls on the deck itself.
> >
> >Is it really going into rewind, or it just that the supply reel motor
> >is kicking on full in all modes?
> >
> >You need first to figure out if it's a control mode problem or a reel
> >motor controller problem.
> >--scott
>
> One big clue would be if the tape shields drop . . .
>

> Kurt Riemann

Hopefully, the OP will be having joy over a cold solder joint on a card
in the chimney or flaky molex.
!