SM PRO AUDIO

Last response: in Home Audio
August 26, 2005 7:56:26 PM

I´m trying to find someone who has used SM Pro Audio TB202 mic pre.
Looks interesting and is cheap, but does it deliver?
Thank´s Matti
http://www.smproaudio.com/TB202.htm

More about : pro audio

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 7:16:14 AM

So the audio quality isn´t so bad,if it works that is?
Regards Matti
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 7:18:58 AM

Sorry double posting! Could You compare the sound to some better
known pre´s?
Thank´s Matti
August 27, 2005 9:44:08 AM

<ittamletti@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I´m trying to find someone who has used SM Pro Audio
> TB202 mic pre. Looks interesting and is cheap, but does
> it deliver?

> http://www.smproaudio.com/TB202.htm

My only experience with SM Pro Audio Gear is a PR8 that I
bought on a whim, because I couldn't believe that anybody
could sell 8 mic pres in a rack case for under $100.

The build quality was pretty bad - power supply wires
running over sharp-edged metal shields and the coup de
gras - one balanced output terminal had no output because
the capacitor lead that was supposed to be attached to it,
well it wasn't.

I repaired the faults and actually have it in service. It's
not too bad.
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 10:56:38 AM

> Could You compare the sound to some better known pre´s?

Not really - the best preamp I have is probably my Symmetrix
SX202. Not much, right?

I suspect that the SM PR8 sound quality is on a par with
what you'd find in a low end Behringer console, maybe a
little worse. Certainly, its built worse than any Behringer
component that I have.

IMO it's not competitive with my (stock) SX202.

Most obviouisly the SM PR8 has only 50 dB gain adjustment,
rather than the 60 dB you find in better preamps. There
seems to be some hum. Frequency response is pretty good -
I've tested it and used it for speaker measurements.
!