Hard Drive setup question

Carlo72

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2002
Ok all I am in the process of building a new system. I have bought two 80Gb SATA drive and am looking for some ideas on how to set them up.
Normally I would partition them into two or three drives apiece under Win 98SE. This time I will be using Win XP, this is what I'm thinking. Partition both drives into 2 40Gb drives and install XP on the one with the swap file on the second one. Heck I know so little about XP that I don't even know if I can put the swap file on a seperate drive.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mike

Carlo72

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2002
I really haven't thought to much about RAID. The motherboard I bought (Abit IC-7G) supports it but don't know enough or feel comfortable enough yet to go that route!

stupid_tech_geek

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
Don't know a damn thig about raid but I can confirm that xp will allow you to put your swap file on another drive as long as it is on the same ide. XP isn't too bad if you don't mind leaky software. Good luck.

A7n8x dlx G Bios Agressive settings
xp1700 Paly W 2x 256 Crucial 2700@ cl 2.5
Ge Force2/WD 60gig w 8mb Cache @ 7200

"There is no magic server pixie dust."

TomaHawK

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2003
get comfy with raid and set em up in any raidmode that seems to suit your needs. 40gig partition seems way too big for any windows product, you might just use a 2gig partition for the Operating System, but make sure not to install any proggies or "warez" on that partition.

Beat the heat with the USB-Powered Fan :wink: