Which sounds better?

Okay for my first field recording rig, it's come down to two choices:

MK012's > Denecke PS2 > Denecke AD-20 > NJB3

OR

R1, PMD660 or Microtrack2496 with MK012's

My main concern is overall sound quality. I'd like to get the best
possible sound with the least noise. Intuition would say that the first
setup, with more dedicated (and more expensive) components would sound
the best, and would be capable of doing broadcast quality recordings.

But would all these seperate components and cables actually increase the
overall noise compared to the dedicated CF recorders? Also, would the
added headroom of 24/96 recordings actually make for a better S/N ratio?
If you had the choice, which would you choose? Thanks a ton!

Jonny Durango
5 answers Last reply
More about which sounds better

    Jonny Durango <jonnydurango1BUSH_FROM_OFFICE@comcast.net> wrote:
    >Okay for my first field recording rig, it's come down to two choices:
    >
    >MK012's > Denecke PS2 > Denecke AD-20 > NJB3
    >
    >OR
    >
    >R1, PMD660 or Microtrack2496 with MK012's
    >
    >My main concern is overall sound quality. I'd like to get the best
    >possible sound with the least noise. Intuition would say that the first
    >setup, with more dedicated (and more expensive) components would sound
    >the best, and would be capable of doing broadcast quality recordings.

    I have never even heard of the Microtrack 2496, and I have never used the
    PMD660. But I was not all that impressed with the AD-20.... the mike
    preamps could have been a lot better, and the gain controls were very
    fiddly and difficult to match.

    >But would all these seperate components and cables actually increase the
    >overall noise compared to the dedicated CF recorders? Also, would the
    >added headroom of 24/96 recordings actually make for a better S/N ratio?
    >If you had the choice, which would you choose? Thanks a ton!

    If it were my choice, I'd spend all my money on the best possible microphones
    and borrow a cheap DAT deck like the old DA P-20 until I could get better.

    The converters in the DA P-20 stink for the most part and the mike preamps
    are just godawful. But listen to the stuff I made on them for the RAP CD set.
    Money spent on mikes will buy you more than on anything else, I think.
    --scott

    wrote in message news:nJqdnTI8LrmMOpLeRVn-jA@comcast.com

    > Okay for my first field recording rig, it's come down to
    > two choices:

    Please refresh my memory, exactly what do you mean by field
    recording?

    Is it more like recording live concerts?

    Or is it more like recording bird calls in a farmer's field?

    Scott Dorsey wrote:

    <snip>

    > Money spent on mikes will buy you more than on anything else, I think.

    The possible exception is music education.

    | two, one and one make one."

    gracias amigo

    Scott Dorsey wrote:
    > I have never even heard of the Microtrack 2496

    http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MicroTrack2496-main.html

    On paper, it looks like a dream come true for budget tapers. But it's
    anyone's guess what it sounds like until it's released in September.

    > If it were my choice, I'd spend all my money on the best possible microphones
    > and borrow a cheap DAT deck like the old DA P-20 until I could get better.

    Thanks for the advice....it's well regarded. I think my next mic will be
    the AT4060 and/or MKH 60.

    Jonny Durango

Pro Audio Components Audio