Recovering Files Off a Dead Laptop

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows 7
  • Product
Last response: in Windows 7
July 24, 2012 9:04:52 PM

My laptop was fried when it crashed during a BIOS update and I need to get the files off of it. I do not have a SATA adapter but I do have another laptop that I can plug the hard drive into (which isn't corrupted). Obviously I cannot boot the computer up since the Windows installation is going to differ but I was wondering if there was any sort of bootable CD software that I could run to recover files from the drive. The hard drive was running 64 bit Windows 7.

More about : recovering files dead laptop

a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
July 24, 2012 9:10:55 PM

You could use a Linux distribution designed to run off a DVD or flash drive and then access the drive that way, but honestly I would just recommend getting some kind of external enclosure. It'll almost certainly have secondary uses later.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
July 24, 2012 9:26:59 PM

itzfinalflash said:
My laptop was fried when it crashed during a BIOS update and I need to get the files off of it. I do not have a SATA adapter but I do have another laptop that I can plug the hard drive into (which isn't corrupted). Obviously I cannot boot the computer up since the Windows installation is going to differ but I was wondering if there was any sort of bootable CD software that I could run to recover files from the drive. The hard drive was running 64 bit Windows 7.

I suggest you put the drive in an external usb enclosure. It will cost you about $20, something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Later, you can use the enclosure for normal backup purposes.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
July 24, 2012 9:31:07 PM

you may get away with booting it in another laptop

sometimes it will work--other times it will blue screen

best bet is put it in and press f8 at start up and pick safe mode

it may boot and let you save your files

or if you have access to a desktop pc with sata connectors plug it in as a second drive to save your files--desktop sata connectors fit sata laptop drives

or as suggested ubuntu live cd
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
July 24, 2012 9:33:23 PM

Linux and flash.... save some money.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 24, 2012 9:37:03 PM

The easiest way to recover data is to connect it to a working PC. Just hook it to a spare sata cable and windows should see it. Use the working laptop if you don't have a spare PC with sata connections. Windows should boot OK but you might have to use a repair disc. Windows will try to install drivers but that's OK.
m
l
July 24, 2012 9:37:31 PM

Get a cheapo SATA external enclosure off craigslist, it can be for a desktop hard drive, it doesn't matter.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
July 24, 2012 10:20:40 PM

they also make usb to sata cables kits for people that want to connect drives to pc to recover data.
m
l
July 24, 2012 10:29:14 PM

DeadRam said:
The easiest way to recover data is to connect it to a working PC. Just hook it to a spare sata cable and windows should see it. Use the working laptop if you don't have a spare PC with sata connections. Windows should boot OK but you might have to use a repair disc. Windows will try to install drivers but that's OK.

+1
this is the easiest way if you have a desktop computer and a spare sata cable.
m
l
July 24, 2012 10:41:35 PM

Oh and you may strike lucky, some laptops have procedures for recovering from a bad bios flash (depends how bad though I guess).
m
l
!