file transfer options for palms

July 25, 2004 2:47:54 PM

Hi,

I am looking to get a new pda but would like the ability to easily put
and get files between the pda and computer. Are there any solutions
out there right now that allow this with no installation of software?
For example, a pda that emulates the same protocl usb thumb drives
use.

Alternatively are there any other file transfer options available that
are convenient?

Thanks,

Sean.
July 25, 2004 6:01:24 PM

On 25 Jul 2004 10:47:54 -0700, umbenne5@hotmail.com (Sean) waived the
right to be silent and professed:

>Hi,
>
>I am looking to get a new pda but would like the ability to easily put
>and get files between the pda and computer. Are there any solutions
>out there right now that allow this with no installation of software?
>For example, a pda that emulates the same protocl usb thumb drives
>use.
>
>Alternatively are there any other file transfer options available that
>are convenient?
>

>Thanks,
>
>Sean.

With no additional software? Get a PPC.

For Palm, get Softick's Card Export. The new version installs on the
Palm only. No Windose software required.

--
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
Anonymous

Or, better yet, get PFB (http://pdassi.de/13639). It's free, installs in
English, and it's faster than CardExport. If you don't mind spending a
little money, buy a card reader/writer that supports SD/MM or Memory Stick -
whichever you use. I have one that supports both.
Adil
"Bruno" <insert@address.here> wrote in message
> On 25 Jul 2004 10:47:54 -0700, umbenne5@hotmail.com (Sean) waived the
> right to be silent and professed:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I am looking to get a new pda but would like the ability to easily put
> >and get files between the pda and computer. Are there any solutions
> >out there right now that allow this with no installation of software?
> >For example, a pda that emulates the same protocl usb thumb drives
> >use.
> >
> >Alternatively are there any other file transfer options available that
> >are convenient?
> >

> >Thanks,
> >
> >Sean.
>
> With no additional software? Get a PPC.
>
> For Palm, get Softick's Card Export. The new version installs on the
> Palm only. No Windose software required.
>
> --
> Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
July 26, 2004 2:42:21 AM

umbenne5@hotmail.com (Sean) wrote in

> Hi,
>
> I am looking to get a new pda but would like the ability to
> easily put and get files between the pda and computer. Are
> there any solutions out there right now that allow this
> with no installation of software? For example, a pda that
> emulates the same protocl usb thumb drives use.

Get a card reader. It works as a USB drive using your SD cards.

> Alternatively are there any other file transfer options
> available that are convenient?

PFB. It requires software on the PC and the PDA, but it works
very well.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 2:42:22 AM

On 25 Jul 2004 22:42:21 GMT, Stan Gosnell <me@work> was understood to
have stated the following:

>umbenne5@hotmail.com (Sean) wrote in
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am looking to get a new pda but would like the ability to
>> easily put and get files between the pda and computer. Are
>> there any solutions out there right now that allow this
>> with no installation of software? For example, a pda that
>> emulates the same protocl usb thumb drives use.
>
>Get a card reader. It works as a USB drive using your SD cards.

Machines with older OS's or card readers made by lesser-supported
companies will require the installation of some software.

>> Alternatively are there any other file transfer options
>> available that are convenient?
>
>PFB. It requires software on the PC and the PDA, but it works
>very well.

He's looking for a software-less solution, otherwise Pilot-Install
would be a great option, as it's only required component is on the
desktop, and it works with USB or serial based Palms. Pilot-Install is
nice because it doesn't require installation; just execution.

Pilot-XFer isn't a bad option either, if you're serial based and
aren't afraid of a command prompt.
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 3:26:53 AM

Bruno <insert@address.here> wrote:
> On 25 Jul 2004 10:47:54 -0700, umbenne5@hotmail.com (Sean) waived the
> right to be silent and professed:
>
>> I am looking to get a new pda but would like the ability to easily
>> put and get files between the pda and computer. Are there any
>> solutions out there right now that allow this with no installation
>> of software? For example, a pda that emulates the same protocl usb
>> thumb drives use.
>>
>> Alternatively are there any other file transfer options available
>> that are convenient?
>
> With no additional software? Get a PPC.

Wrong answer. With a PPC, you still need to install Microsoft Activesync on
the PC. And that's a hog of a program, slowing down things even when
there's nothing attached.

> For Palm, get Softick's Card Export. The new version installs on the
> Palm only. No Windose software required.

Or get a Sony PDA -- they come with export/import software pre-installed.
You still need to install the USB driver software on the PC, though.
However, that can be put on a $20 USB keyfob :-)

Another option is to use WiFi and/or Bluetooth, and a file transfer program
like SMBMount on the Palm. It works pretty well with WiFi, at least.

Regards,
--
*Art
Anonymous

Stan Gosnell wrote:

> umbenne5@hotmail.com (Sean) wrote in
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am looking to get a new pda but would like the ability to
>> easily put and get files between the pda and computer. Are
>> there any solutions out there right now that allow this
>> with no installation of software? For example, a pda that
>> emulates the same protocl usb thumb drives use.
>
> Get a card reader. It works as a USB drive using your SD cards.

this is a good solution that I often use with my Macintosh.

>> Alternatively are there any other file transfer options
>> available that are convenient?

If your PC has an infrared port you can simply beam files back and forth.
My HP/Compaq notebook at work does this with ease.

Regards,

-Doug
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 10:45:23 AM

David W. Poole, Jr. wrote:

> On 25 Jul 2004 22:42:21 GMT, Stan Gosnell <me@work> was understood to
> have stated the following:
>>>easily put and get files between the pda and computer. Are
>>>there any solutions out there right now that allow this
>>>with no installation of software? For example, a pda that
>>>emulates the same protocl usb thumb drives use.
>>
>>Get a card reader. It works as a USB drive using your SD cards.

> Machines with older OS's or card readers made by lesser-supported
> companies will require the installation of some software.

Well, the original poster asked, in effect, for a method that's
as easy to use as a USB thumb drive, not a method that's EASIER
to use. :-)

- Logan
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 10:45:24 AM

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 06:45:23 GMT, Logan Shaw
<lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> was understood to have stated the
following:

>>>Get a card reader. It works as a USB drive using your SD cards.
>
>> Machines with older OS's or card readers made by lesser-supported
>> companies will require the installation of some software.
>
>Well, the original poster asked, in effect, for a method that's
>as easy to use as a USB thumb drive, not a method that's EASIER
>to use. :-)

Agreed, but he also asked for "no installation of software". Without
more specifics, it's difficult to tell what he's looking for.

For example, the machines where a friend of mine work are set up in
such a manner that they are unable to install software on the
computers, so software that requires "installation" is something they
can not run. However, applications ready to run, without requiring
installation, on CDR or some other removable media that isn't "locked
down", can be copied to the hard drive and executed. This might be a
similar situation to what the OP is experiencing. If it is, he may
wish to consider Pilot-Install or Pilot-xfer as neither of them
require an installation procedure to run on a doze box. The problem is
that some older OS's or thumb drive devices may require driver
software to be installed, so the OP should research his situation
carefully if this is the way he wishes to go. Otherwise, he could use
Pilot-Install on a floppy and a usb/serial port & cable, or Pilot-XFer
with a serial port and cable.

In my case, the majority of the machines I access are XP based, and
currently I sit at four different machines where I work. In three
weeks I'll have my own desk, but I digress. I've got the Palm desktop
software installed on each of the work machines I use. When I sit
down, I either plug a charging cable into one of the USB slots and a
40gb miniHD into the other, or I plug a thumb drive with a 512mb card
in; the thumb drive's size unfortunately blocks both front USB slots.
From time to time I need to dump content into the PDA much quicker
than a hotsync will allow, so I'll run Pilot-Install to stuff a text
file into the PDA in a couple of seconds. I would prefer to minimize
the amount of card swapping that must be performed, because I'm not
certain how many ejections the locking device in my PDA is going to
withstand. But for transferring mass quantities of data to the PDA,
I'll unplug the HD and the charging sync cable, and use explorer to
copy the data to the card in the thumb drive. The thumb drive required
the installation of some driver software that was built in to XP, and
I don't know if such is prevented if you don't have the rights to
install software on an XP box.

He could also have a situation with an older OS that doesn't have the
software supports for newer thumb drive devices, and not be able to
install the required driver software on these machines either.

Really hard to know, though, as the request was somewhat vague except
for the "no installation of software" part. :-)
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 5:01:36 PM

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 04:06:16 -0400, "David W. Poole, Jr."
<LauraBushMurderedHerBoyfriendIsATroll.20.dwpj65@spamgourmet.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>the amount of card swapping that must be performed, because I'm not
>certain how many ejections the locking device in my PDA is going to
>withstand. But for transferring mass quantities of data to the PDA,
>I'll unplug the HD and the charging sync cable, and use explorer to
>copy the data to the card in the thumb drive. The thumb drive required
>the installation of some driver software that was built in to XP, and
>I don't know if such is prevented if you don't have the rights to
>install software on an XP box.
>
>He could also have a situation with an older OS that doesn't have the
>software supports for newer thumb drive devices, and not be able to
>install the required driver software on these machines either.
>
>Really hard to know, though, as the request was somewhat vague except
>for the "no installation of software" part. :-)

I use another option, which doesn't involve installing anything on the
PC: my Sony TH-55 has wi-fi; using SMBMate I can access my computer's
hard drives directly from the PDA and copy stuff back and forth.
Without, of course, having to actually hook it up to the computer.

I agree about the card reader: I've got one too. And the Sony also has
software to make its memory stick appear as a hard drive on the
computer, like a USB thumb drive.
--
Mike Koenecke
to e-mail, change domain to "alum.haverford.edu"