Question on Syncing Studer to Pro Tools with Lynx

Last response: in Home Audio
August 28, 2005 2:47:38 AM

I'm helping someone put together a system where they will be syncing a
Studer A800 to Pro Tools with Lynx module(s), with video blackburst being
the master clock source for everything.

The question is, will this require two Lynx modules? Obviously the Studer
needs one module, but since there will be no transport connections to Pro
Tools, can video-resolved SMPTE coming from the two inch be sent to Pro
Tools from the Gen output on the first Lynx module? Or is a second module
required from which to send code to Pro Tools?

Thanks in advance!
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 11:05:10 AM

In article <e46Qe.3301$FW1.3195@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
"Wistful Vista" <urbinsprawl@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I'm helping someone put together a system where they will be syncing a
> Studer A800 to Pro Tools with Lynx module(s), with video blackburst being
> the master clock source for everything.
>
> The question is, will this require two Lynx modules? Obviously the Studer
> needs one module, but since there will be no transport connections to Pro
> Tools, can video-resolved SMPTE coming from the two inch be sent to Pro
> Tools from the Gen output on the first Lynx module? Or is a second module
> required from which to send code to Pro Tools?
>
> Thanks in advance!

You'll need 2 Lynx modules (we're not talking the MicroLynx are we?).

The first module receives timecode from Protools and is set up as a
Code-Only Master, and the second controls the Studer as the slave unit.

The problem with this setup is that the Studer will only locate when you
feed timecode to the Master Lynx. What you end up doing is playing
Protools for a couple of seconds, then stop it, then wait while the
Studer locates to that timecode, then hit play again, wait for the
Studer to lock up, and then go about your business. Gets kinda old in a
hurry.

Depending on how you feel about your digital clock and jitter issues,
you could instead get the Digidesign sync box and slave Protools to the
Studer instead, and save the cost of the Lynx boxes (but they're
probably pretty cheap by now since there's almost NO market for them).

Jeff C.

--
Anti-Spam email address in effect.
My real email should be pretty obvious to an actual human being.

I don't think you need two lynx modules at all. Resolve the 800 to its
timecode and then slave pro-tools to the 800. Both the lynx and PT
should be clocking to blackburst.

If you need the 800 to chase pro-tools you will need to modules and
will have the problems described below because the 800 won't
automatically locate to where you have PT parked.

I would suggest using the 800's locator which will allow PT to locate
quickly and use the setup I described above.

Good luck

Mark
August 29, 2005 3:28:07 AM

If you have a Sync I/O you only need one TimeLine Lynx module.. feed the
Lynx module video reference and make sure to terminate it. Then resolve the
2" to video with the Lynx. Also feed the video reference to the Sync I/O and
have Pro Tools locked to video for speed and LTC for location.. and you're
all set.

Rail
--
Recording Engineer/Software Developer
Rail Jon Rogut Software

"Wistful Vista" <urbinsprawl@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I'm helping someone put together a system where they will be syncing a
> Studer A800 to Pro Tools with Lynx module(s), with video blackburst being
> the master clock source for everything.
>
> The question is, will this require two Lynx modules? Obviously the Studer
> needs one module, but since there will be no transport connections to Pro
> Tools, can video-resolved SMPTE coming from the two inch be sent to Pro
> Tools from the Gen output on the first Lynx module? Or is a second module
> required from which to send code to Pro Tools?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Anonymous
August 30, 2005 3:58:10 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies......