Alesis HD24 converters or lightpipe?

Last response: in Home Audio
August 27, 2005 9:45:45 PM

I am moving from a PT LE 002R setup (with a Digimax LT providing ADAT
ins, an RME Quadmic providing pres for the 002R ins without pres and a
Grace Lunatec V3 for s/pdif) to an Alesis HD24. Would it be better to
get a couple more Digimax LTs and go in via lightpipe or some more pres
and use the HD24 converters and a 1/4" snake? Other suggestions, ideas?

TIA
Edwin
--
http://www.theetherealplane.com
Anonymous

FWIW, the ADAT single lightpipe is limited to 24 bits @ 48k.

Wayne

Edwin Hurwitz wrote:
> I am moving from a PT LE 002R setup (with a Digimax LT providing ADAT
> ins, an RME Quadmic providing pres for the 002R ins without pres and a
> Grace Lunatec V3 for s/pdif) to an Alesis HD24. Would it be better to
> get a couple more Digimax LTs and go in via lightpipe or some more pres
> and use the HD24 converters and a 1/4" snake? Other suggestions, ideas?
>
> TIA
> Edwin
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 11:37:20 PM

In article <3ncf9tFt2q6U1@individual.net>, Wayne <ybstudios@aol.com>
wrote:

> FWIW, the ADAT single lightpipe is limited to 24 bits @ 48k.
>
> Wayne
>
> Edwin Hurwitz wrote:
> > I am moving from a PT LE 002R setup (with a Digimax LT providing ADAT
> > ins, an RME Quadmic providing pres for the 002R ins without pres and a
> > Grace Lunatec V3 for s/pdif) to an Alesis HD24. Would it be better to
> > get a couple more Digimax LTs and go in via lightpipe or some more pres
> > and use the HD24 converters and a 1/4" snake? Other suggestions, ideas?
> >
> > TIA
> > Edwin

This isn't a problem because I need all 24 channels anyway, so I intend
to record at 44.1/24. After recording, it all gets transferred to PT.

Thanks for chiming in!
Edwin
--
http://www.theetherealplane.com
August 28, 2005 1:58:00 AM

I'm running a HD24XR which is 24/96, but I'm only running at 24/48 and
dumping to 001. If I'm recording 8 tracks, I record thru the XR
straight to the 001. The converters in the standard HD24 are good but
the XR is excellent.

Once I get more than 8 tracks going, I generally will run some of the
less sensitive tracks straight thru the 001 analogs ins. (synths, kybds,
stuff in a box). Trying to use the converters for live tracks.

BTW, I've got a DigiMax original and never use it.

Wayne

Edwin Hurwitz wrote:
> In article <3ncf9tFt2q6U1@individual.net>, Wayne <ybstudios@aol.com>
> wrote:
>

>>FWIW, the ADAT single lightpipe is limited to 24 bits @ 48k.
>>
>>Wayne
>>
>>Edwin Hurwitz wrote:
>>
> This isn't a problem because I need all 24 channels anyway, so I intend
> to record at 44.1/24. After recording, it all gets transferred to PT.
>
> Thanks for chiming in!
> Edwin
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 5:48:35 AM

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 19:37:19 -0500, Wayne wrote:

> FWIW, the ADAT single lightpipe is limited to 24 bits @ 48k.

Whoa! That could be a serious problem if you happen to be recording
something for your dog.
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 5:48:36 AM

"Agent 86" <maxwellsmart@control.gov> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.08.28.01.48.35.560187@control.gov...
> On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 19:37:19 -0500, Wayne wrote:
>
>> FWIW, the ADAT single lightpipe is limited to 24 bits @ 48k.
>
> Whoa! That could be a serious problem if you happen to be recording
> something for your dog.

You may think that is a joke, but there was actually what
appeared to be a serious person that came through here a
year or two ago wanting to know about doing audio (and/
or video?) production "for dogs". He went away convinced
that the standard distribution methods available would not
support the supersonic soundtrack he was seeking.
!