Importing Audio To Cubase

Last response: in Home Audio
August 28, 2005 12:08:04 PM

I've got a cleint who's trying to "open" the tracks we cut in Cubase.

The tracks are all 44/24 mono .aiff files created in ProTools on a Mac.
I don't think the extention is in the file name.

He's on a PC. What he does is creats a new session in Cubase and the
goes to "open" under "flie" in the menu and sasy the audio files don't
show up. I'm wondering if this is befuase htey don't have the file
extension in the name and the bigger issue being that they need to be
"imported" as oppposed to "opened".

I've never used Cubase. Is this the case? IS ther a region list like
ProTools and do you ahve to import therer first? Is the import command
found in the main file menu or in the region list file meun, like in
ProTools?

TIA.

More about : importing audio cubase

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 2:19:11 PM

"Mike Caffrey" <mike@monsterisland.com> wrote in message

> I've got a cleint who's trying to "open" the tracks we cut in Cubase.
>
> The tracks are all 44/24 mono .aiff files created in ProTools on a Mac.
> I don't think the extention is in the file name.
>
> He's on a PC. What he does is creats a new session in Cubase and the
> goes to "open" under "flie" in the menu and sasy the audio files don't
> show up. I'm wondering if this is befuase htey don't have the file
> extension in the name and the bigger issue being that they need to be
> "imported" as oppposed to "opened".
>
> I've never used Cubase. Is this the case?

In Nuendo which I hear is like Cubase, you "import audio file" instead of
"open". Hopefully each file is a bounced file from beginning to end if there
were any edits or punches.

IS ther a region list like
> ProTools and do you ahve to import therer first? Is the import command
> found in the main file menu or in the region list file meun, like in
> ProTools?
>
> TIA.

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 8:10:12 PM

Tim Martin wrote:

> By the way, yourclient may have Cubaus rather than Cubase; this comes free
> with lots of computer and music hardware, the manual is skimpy, and the
> on-line help is one of thosewhere you need to understrand how the program
> works in order to understand the help.

Some of these versions of Cubase (Cubaus, Cubis,
Cubasis, whatever) only support 16 bit.
I went through this with Cubasis that came with
the Echo sound card. I was disappointed that
a 24 bit card came with S/W that only did 16 bit.

rd
August 28, 2005 8:33:25 PM

You can drag and drop the audio files into the Cubase project window,
which will as well automatically add them to the audio pool.

Don't you guys have a manual? Hmmm...

Chewy

Mike Caffrey wrote:
> I've got a cleint who's trying to "open" the tracks we cut in Cubase.
>
> The tracks are all 44/24 mono .aiff files created in ProTools on a Mac.
> I don't think the extention is in the file name.
>
> He's on a PC. What he does is creats a new session in Cubase and the
> goes to "open" under "flie" in the menu and sasy the audio files don't
> show up. I'm wondering if this is befuase htey don't have the file
> extension in the name and the bigger issue being that they need to be
> "imported" as oppposed to "opened".
>
> I've never used Cubase. Is this the case? IS ther a region list like
> ProTools and do you ahve to import therer first? Is the import command
> found in the main file menu or in the region list file meun, like in
> ProTools?
>
> TIA.

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 11:21:11 PM

"Mike Caffrey" <mike@monsterisland.com> wrote in message

> I've got a cleint who's trying to "open" the tracks we cut in Cubase.
>
> The tracks are all 44/24 mono .aiff files created in ProTools on a Mac.
> I don't think the extention is in the file name.
>
> He's on a PC. What he does is creats a new session in Cubase and the
> goes to "open" under "flie" in the menu and sasy the audio files don't
> show up. I'm wondering if this is befuase htey don't have the file
> extension in the name and the bigger issue being that they need to be
> "imported" as oppposed to "opened".
>
> I've never used Cubase. Is this the case?

Your client needs to

1) name each .aif file so its extension is .aif
2) Select an audio track in the main window (Cubase can handle lots of audio
tracks at once, so you need to tell it which one the data is for.)
3) From the menu, select File/Import/

When all imports are done, you can save the song; then time you can simply
open it, without having to import the .aif files again.

By the way, yourclient may have Cubaus rather than Cubase; this comes free
with lots of computer and music hardware, the manual is skimpy, and the
on-line help is one of thosewhere you need to understrand how the program
works in order to understand the help.

Tim
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 10:40:41 AM

I have no manual because it's my cleints gear and he's at home with the
tracks emailing me with questions.

Adding the .aif extention did the trick.
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 10:40:58 AM

I have no manual because it's my cleints gear and he's at home with the
tracks emailing me with questions.

Adding the .aif extention did the trick. Thanks for the help!
!