We have PGN, is there an equivalent of POP3 for chess serv..

Last response: in Video Games
March 6, 2005 2:01:47 PM

I haven't researched this but I am wondering if there is a
client/server standard, similar to POP3 for email, for coorespondence
servers. If there was one, I can see where this will help advance
server based correspondence chess.

I was thinking of an API to support (from client perspective):

1. Pull:
(a) User profile
(b) Tournaments in progress
(c) A game in progress with outstanding move/time info
2. Push:
(a) Updates to profile
(b) Registration info / withdrawal
(c) A new move in a game

Very basic stuff so servers can standardize on at least the nominal
playing capability - and the market can create clients and servers
without introducing new "stovepipes".

For example, if CB-8 had such an interface then I could hook up to
"playchess.de" or ICCF with equal ease.

In addition, if there were "plug-in" standards, then the providers of
servers could give the big producers of clients (Chessbase,
Chessmaster, etc) a way to easily customize to the unique features of
the server without extra development cost.

Just a thought, please excuse the post if this work is already being
done or is in discussion.

++harvey
March 7, 2005 8:11:00 AM

Chessbase is supposed to add Xfcc support: http://www.xfcc.org/ A couple
correspondance servers already offer it.

!