Best Monitors for under $500 (on ebay?)

Last response: in Home Audio
a b C Monitor
August 29, 2005 1:16:05 AM

Hello,

I am setting up a low budget home studio. The room is acoustically not
that good currently. I am new to the mixing/production art. I want to
get a monitor that I can use as I get better. Something with which I
can do a almost professional mix in the future (as I improve my room
and skills). I will be doing hip hop music so need good bass response.

1) Is $500 too low
2) Is it advisable to buy used monitors from ebay

Can someone please advice me on what monitor to get and on the above 2
questions. Thanks.

More about : monitors 500 ebay

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 29, 2005 10:59:02 AM

"sohala" <sohan_al@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Hello,
>
> I am setting up a low budget home studio. The room is acoustically not
> that good currently. I am new to the mixing/production art. I want to
> get a monitor that I can use as I get better. Something with which I
> can do a almost professional mix in the future (as I improve my room
> and skills). I will be doing hip hop music so need good bass response.
>
> 1) Is $500 too low
> 2) Is it advisable to buy used monitors from ebay
>
> Can someone please advice me on what monitor to get and on the above 2
> questions. Thanks.

In that price range, it's not a matter of getting the right monitors, it's a
matter of learning to use them. Trust them only so much, find out what
they lack.

Behringer Truths are a good starting point IMO.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 29, 2005 1:45:44 PM

sohala <sohan_al@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I am setting up a low budget home studio. The room is acoustically not
>that good currently. I am new to the mixing/production art. I want to
>get a monitor that I can use as I get better. Something with which I
>can do a almost professional mix in the future (as I improve my room
>and skills). I will be doing hip hop music so need good bass response.
>
>1) Is $500 too low
>2) Is it advisable to buy used monitors from ebay
>
>Can someone please advice me on what monitor to get and on the above 2
>questions. Thanks.

No. You have to go listen. You also should probably put some money
into fixing the acoustics before you even think about setting monitors
up to listen.

But monitors are a very personal thing.
--scott
a b C Monitor
August 29, 2005 10:05:36 PM

I thought that monitors were used as a referance so that my mix sound
good on other systems, if I buy something that I like personally then
that might defeat the purpose. My ears are not trained that well to
judge what is a good reference sound.

I don't think I have enough experience to judge what is a good monitor.
Its like what Zigakly said;

>In that price range, it's not a matter of getting the right monitors, >it's a matter of learning to use them. Trust them only so much, >find out what they lack

So is it true that, with my price range its not possible to buy a set
of monitors that are good enough for professional results.

So anyway I am asking again what is the best bang for bucks monitors?
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 31, 2005 4:25:17 AM

On 28 Aug 2005 21:16:05 -0700, "sohala" <sohan_al@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am setting up a low budget home studio. The room is acoustically not
>that good currently. I am new to the mixing/production art. I want to
>get a monitor that I can use as I get better. Something with which I
>can do a almost professional mix in the future (as I improve my room
>and skills). I will be doing hip hop music so need good bass response.
>
>1) Is $500 too low
>2) Is it advisable to buy used monitors from ebay
>
>Can someone please advice me on what monitor to get and on the above 2
>questions. Thanks.

FWIW, I have a couple pairs of NHTPro A10s that I like quite a bit. A
discontinued model, but they show up on E-Bay for @$400 every so
often (I've actually bought/pieced together 3 sets off E-Bay). I
think they were originally listed at @$1200. Active powered monitors
with the amps in a separate box from the speakers. Helps if you have
a passive attenuator for them as well (NHT makes those too, but there
are others).

Here's a review:

http://emusician.com/speakers/emusic_nhtpro/

It would be tough to audition them though (unless you live in the Twin
Cities, then you could drop by).
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
September 1, 2005 2:01:16 AM

B&W DM602s. Got mine for $300 on ebay. Get a used Adcom 535 to power em
and you're good to go.

sohala wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am setting up a low budget home studio. The room is acoustically not
> that good currently. I am new to the mixing/production art. I want to
> get a monitor that I can use as I get better. Something with which I
> can do a almost professional mix in the future (as I improve my room
> and skills). I will be doing hip hop music so need good bass response.
>
> 1) Is $500 too low
> 2) Is it advisable to buy used monitors from ebay
>
> Can someone please advice me on what monitor to get and on the above 2
> questions. Thanks.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
September 2, 2005 7:32:14 PM

One Review of the B&W DM602 says they are not good for Rap, they are
very gentle better for Jazz. I mainly do Rap, Hip-Hop music.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
September 4, 2005 1:03:24 PM

sohala <sohan_al@yahoo.com> wrote:
>One Review of the B&W DM602 says they are not good for Rap, they are
>very gentle better for Jazz. I mainly do Rap, Hip-Hop music.

Have you listened to them?

Listen to them.
--scott