Help Connecting X-Box to Computer

Last response: in Networking
June 12, 2004 2:28:52 PM

I want to connect my x-box to my computer in order to
play X-Box Live. My computer connects to the internet
with a wireless adapter. I have an ethernet card in my
computer that is not being used. Is it possible to
connect my X-Box to the ethernet port in my computer to
connect to the internet from my wireless adapter. Please
help me configure the settings so it will work
correctly. I run windows xp on my computer.
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 3:11:18 PM

Are you using a wireless connection to your Internet Service Provider, Andy?
If so, you're going to need to use Internet Connection Sharing through your
computer. Take a look in Help and Support on how to set that up. You will
also need to have the computer on at all times when you want to use the
Xbox.

If you have broadband service from your ISP, and there is a modem involved
but no router/base station, ICS is still the answer, however you'll need a
second Network Interface Card in the system.

You may want to take a look at the information on the Xbox web site to see
the various connection possibilities:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Live/Connect/default.htm
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

"Andy R" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to connect my x-box to my computer in order to
> play X-Box Live. My computer connects to the internet
> with a wireless adapter. I have an ethernet card in my
> computer that is not being used. Is it possible to
> connect my X-Box to the ethernet port in my computer to
> connect to the internet from my wireless adapter. Please
> help me configure the settings so it will work
> correctly. I run windows xp on my computer.
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 3:24:56 PM

Chris,

I have a wireless router in another room which my
wireless adapter in my computer connects to broadband
through. When I set up the Internet Connection Sharing,
I am no longer able to connect to the internet from my
wireless adapter. The Internet Connection Sharing then
automatically becomes disabled, thus making my internet
work again. Do you know how I should set up the Internet
Gateway so that my wireless adapter will relay info to my
ethernet card and thus to my X-Box and still connect to
my wireless router? Every time that I try to configure
my ethernet card it trys to become the main connection,
shutting down my internet since it is only connected to
my x-box. I have seen ethernet to USB connections. If I
do infact need to buy more hardware, would it be wise to
get one of these? Thanks for the help.
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 6:02:52 PM

You've got a problem, Andy, because you cannot do what you want to do the
way you describe. See the diagrams on the Xbox site I previously posted for
you. You need to either get a wireless device such as the MN-740 for your
Xbox, or wire your Xbox directly to the ports in the wireless router. Don't
involve a computer.
--

!