engines @ 2100-2300

Does anyone know of an engine that will work with the Shredder/Fritz
interface and which reliably plays at 2100-2300 Elo level?

Thanks,

Angelo

Angelo De Pa1ma schrieb:
> Does anyone know of an engine that will work with the Shredder/Fritz
> interface and which reliably plays at 2100-2300 Elo level?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Angelo

Hi Angelo,

try Drunkenmaster 1.2 ( www.geocities.com/prewarski/ ).

Greetings,

Norman

(www.schachseiten.de with engine-ratings)

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 23:11:52 -0500, "Angelo De Pa1ma"
<adpspammersgotohell@tellurian.net> wrote:

>Does anyone know of an engine that will work with the Shredder/Fritz
>interface and which reliably plays at 2100-2300 Elo level?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Angelo

Doctor? 3.0
EXchess 4.03
InmiChess3.06N
Hermann 1.1.1

And a few others.

You would also need to consider the hardware the engines play on of
course.

I would recommend Doctor? 3.0 (if you can find it somewhere)
On my list it has a rating of 2395 (423 games)
For comparison: Shredder 8 has on the same list 2806

Rick

ceebee

"Angelo De Pa1ma" <adpspammersgotohell@tellurian.net> wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

> Does anyone know of an engine that will work with the
> Shredder/Fritz interface and which reliably plays at 2100-2300
> Elo level?

There is no "reliable Elo 2100-2300" play, as rating always depend
on the opponents.

Dumbing down is possible in the Fritz interface; you can see after a
few games if the strength caters you.

If you want other engines to try and/or dumb down, try:
http://www.chessbase.de/download/index.asp?cat=Engine+Archiv

--
CeeBee

"I don't know half of you
half as well as I should like;
and I like less than half of you
half as well as you deserve."

I'm unimpressed with the dumbing down functions in CB products. The programs
play like GMs for 8 moves then they drop a piece on purpose, then they play
like GMs again. I'm looking for a program that plays like a real 2200
player, that knows openings OK but not all the latest theory, that makes
subtle mistakes rather than blunders.

Thanks all.

Angelo

"CeeBee" <ceebeechester@start.com.au> wrote in message
> "Angelo De Pa1ma" <adpspammersgotohell@tellurian.net> wrote in
> rec.games.chess.computer:
>
>> Does anyone know of an engine that will work with the
>> Shredder/Fritz interface and which reliably plays at 2100-2300
>> Elo level?
>
> There is no "reliable Elo 2100-2300" play, as rating always depend
> on the opponents.
>
> Dumbing down is possible in the Fritz interface; you can see after a
> few games if the strength caters you.
>
> If you want other engines to try and/or dumb down, try:
> http://www.chessbase.de/download/index.asp?cat=Engine+Archiv
>

> --
> CeeBee
>

> "I don't know half of you
> half as well as I should like;
> and I like less than half of you
> half as well as you deserve."

ceebee

"Angelo De Pa1ma" <adpspammersgotohell@tellurian.net> wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

> I'm unimpressed with the dumbing down functions in CB products.
> The programs play like GMs for 8 moves then they drop a piece on
> purpose, then they play like GMs again. I'm looking for a
> program that plays like a real 2200 player, that knows openings
> OK but not all the latest theory, that makes subtle mistakes
> rather than blunders.

You're descibing a human, not a chess program.

Chess engines play chess. They don't mimic real people very well.
Probably any chess engine will be a disappointment for you.

Join a chess club with real humans instead.

--
CeeBee

"I don't know half of you
half as well as I should like;
and I like less than half of you
half as well as you deserve."

CeeBee,

I play about 65 rated games per year and belong to a very active club.

I'm looking for a good sparring partner who's a solid full class above me in
strength. I can't get that at my club or from Shredder. There's a good deal
of value in training in that way, in my opinion.

Angelo

"CeeBee" <ceebeechester@start.com.au> wrote

> You're descibing a human, not a chess program.
>
> Chess engines play chess. They don't mimic real people very well.
> Probably any chess engine will be a disappointment for you.
>
> Join a chess club with real humans instead.
>

> --
> CeeBee
>

> "I don't know half of you
> half as well as I should like;
> and I like less than half of you
> half as well as you deserve."

I currently play 1 game per week at G60 against Palm Hiarcs, setting the
level between 1350 and 2000 ELO, and I find it really "human like". It
never gives a piece away then play like a GM. I find it really pleasant
and simulating quite correctly human players.
Unfortunately there is no ELO level above 2000 : you then have to switch
to time limitations which may not end up with an human like play (I
haven't tested it).

CeeBee a écrit :
> "Angelo De Pa1ma" <adpspammersgotohell@tellurian.net> wrote in
> rec.games.chess.computer:
>

>>I'm unimpressed with the dumbing down functions in CB products.
>>The programs play like GMs for 8 moves then they drop a piece on
>>purpose, then they play like GMs again. I'm looking for a
>>program that plays like a real 2200 player, that knows openings
>>OK but not all the latest theory, that makes subtle mistakes
>>rather than blunders.
>

> You're descibing a human, not a chess program.
>
> Chess engines play chess. They don't mimic real people very well.
> Probably any chess engine will be a disappointment for you.
>
> Join a chess club with real humans instead.

ceebee

"Angelo De Pa1ma" <adpspammersgotohell@tellurian.net> wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

> I play about 65 rated games per year and belong to a very active
> club.
>
> I'm looking for a good sparring partner who's a solid full class
> above me in strength. I can't get that at my club or from
> Shredder. There's a good deal of value in training in that way,
> in my opinion.

You could try Pro Deo; Rebel is known to be playing a bit more
sophisticated when dumbed down.

As long as you don't expect a humanlike opponent when playing a
computer program, and as long as you understand that rating is no
absolute but relative strength; that's all.

http://members.home.nl/matador/prodeo.htm

--

Angelo De Pa1ma wrote:
> Does anyone know of an engine that will work with the Shredder/Fritz
> interface and which reliably plays at 2100-2300 Elo level?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Angelo

The following well-known Winboard engines would fit into that range:

Beowulf v.2.3
Faile v.1.4
Gromit v.2.2
Mustang v.2.3.1

http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl/ will guide you to the home or download pages
for these engines. The Fritz interface ought to be able to import these
engines.

Also the Scidlet engine that comes with Scid.

In case the Winboard engines don't work, Faile v.1.4 is also directly
available from Chessbase in the format needed by the Fritz interface.
See http://www.chessbase.de/download/index.asp?cat=Engine+Archiv

Or you could play against the above engines (plus dozens of others in
that range) using Winboard.

Angelo De Pa1ma <adpspammersgotohell@tellurian.net> wrote:
> I'm unimpressed with the dumbing down functions in CB products. The
> programs play like GMs for 8 moves then they drop a piece on purpose,
> then they play like GMs again. I'm looking for a program that plays like
> a real 2200 player, that knows openings OK but not all the latest
> theory, that makes subtle mistakes rather than blunders.

Have you tried sparring mode set to `Harder' or `Really hard', or handicap
mode with the blunder range set to something small like half a pawn or
less? Friend mode is a waste of time and does exactly what you've just
described but handicap mode with a low blunder range seems pretty good to
me.

The main problem is that it plays the endgame pretty poorly. My games
against it fall into two categories: either it kills me dead in the
middlegame or I manage to get into an endgame only a pawn down and usually
win. You might also find that it plays the opening too well for your
taste; in that case, you'd have to adjust the opening book a bit, which
might be time-consuming.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Fluorescent Simple Spoon (TM): it's
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ like a piece of cutlery but it has no

Ruud

Try Shredder Classic, Aristarch, Pharaon,List. All are UCI-comp.

Angelo De Pa1ma wrote:
> Does anyone know of an engine that will work with the Shredder/Fritz
> interface and which reliably plays at 2100-2300 Elo level?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Angelo

I agree that playing against not too strong programs can be good training.

Try Comet, I for one love playing against it. I am a player of approx.
2100 strength and I can sometimes beat it if I play really well. It has
the advantage of making "honest" small mistakes, while of course it
never blunders.

Christos

chaos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2001

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 03:30:22 +0300, Christos Gitsis <el01120@mail.ntua.gr> using
recycled electrons muttered something about:
>Angelo De Pa1ma wrote:
>> Does anyone know of an engine that will work with the Shredder/Fritz
>> interface and which reliably plays at 2100-2300 Elo level?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Angelo
>>

>I agree that playing against not too strong programs can be good training.
>
>Try Comet, I for one love playing against it. I am a player of approx.
>2100 strength and I can sometimes beat it if I play really well. It has
>the advantage of making "honest" small mistakes, while of course it
>never blunders.
>
>Christos

Waht about early versions of Crafty, for instance Crafty 15.18 or 14.12?

No problem is so formidable that you can't just walk away from it.