amp/monitor opinions

Last response: in Home Audio
a b C Monitor
August 29, 2005 3:37:27 PM

So I have a pair of jbl 4206 monitors that I don't really care for (i
get fatigue real easy real quickly), but I've been driving them with a
samson servo amp so that may a bit at fault. I also have a shitty pair
of maudio 5" powered monitors that are a whole lot more tolerable (i
got them for practically nothing at a sam ash blowout- they were
discontinuing them in favor of a new version).

What's the general consensus on these particular jbl's and if they are
worth keeping, what's a decent midgrade amp to power them with?

If they aren't worth keeping, what's the best route- tannoys and an
amp? Mackies? Has anyone heard the tapco monitors? etc etc... thanks
so much,

Nate

More about : amp monitor opinions

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 29, 2005 4:09:28 PM

In a small space/low volume environment, how would a pair of 4"
genelecs do? way too little bass? strictly acoustic music.

Nate
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 29, 2005 4:21:53 PM

In article <1125340647.261775.296130@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
"Nate Najar" <nate@natenajar.com> wrote:

> So I have a pair of jbl 4206 monitors that I don't really care for (i
> get fatigue real easy real quickly), but I've been driving them with a
> samson servo amp so that may a bit at fault. I also have a shitty pair
> of maudio 5" powered monitors that are a whole lot more tolerable (i
> got them for practically nothing at a sam ash blowout- they were
> discontinuing them in favor of a new version).
>
> What's the general consensus on these particular jbl's and if they are
> worth keeping, what's a decent midgrade amp to power them with?
>
> If they aren't worth keeping, what's the best route- tannoys and an
> amp? Mackies? Has anyone heard the tapco monitors? etc etc... thanks
> so much,
>
> Nate

We have a pair of 4206s as a way to check mixes on something quite different
from the Westlake BBSM-10s we use as mains. We drive them with a QSC 1080 and
while I haven't found that combination to be fatiguing, I don't mix on the
4206s.

The 4206 does have a noticable dip in reponse at the crossover frequency (2800
Hz IIRC) and a rather boosted low end, but that's why we use them. I would
suggest trying some different power amps before you dump the JBLs.

-Jay
a b C Monitor
August 29, 2005 5:20:49 PM

scott, is the adcom 545 any good? is it similar except of course with
half the power?

Nate
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 29, 2005 7:26:06 PM

Nate Najar <nate@natenajar.com> wrote:
>So I have a pair of jbl 4206 monitors that I don't really care for (i
>get fatigue real easy real quickly), but I've been driving them with a
>samson servo amp so that may a bit at fault. I also have a shitty pair
>of maudio 5" powered monitors that are a whole lot more tolerable (i
>got them for practically nothing at a sam ash blowout- they were
>discontinuing them in favor of a new version).
>
>What's the general consensus on these particular jbl's and if they are
>worth keeping, what's a decent midgrade amp to power them with?

I don't like the JBLs, but I still think it's worth upgrading the amp
to make sure _you_ don't like them. You'll find that the top end
problems on the Samson are probably severe.

Adcom GFA-555 sounds good and is probably easy to find used out there.

>iF they aren't worth keeping, what's the best route- tannoys and an
>amp? Mackies? Has anyone heard the tapco monitors? etc etc... thanks
>so much,

Go to the AES show and listen to a dozen different monitors with your
own material and decide for yourself. Steve Lampen at Belden will
have freebie events tickets.
--scott
a b C Monitor
August 30, 2005 12:59:07 AM

Nate Najar <nate@natenajar.com> wrote:
>scott, is the adcom 545 any good? is it similar except of course with
>half the power?

Yes, it's similar. The 535 actually sounds better than any of them to
my ears, although with considerably less power.
--scott