Radeon 9800 PRO 128MB or nVidia GeForce FX 5900 (Standard)

Last response: in Video Games
November 12, 2004 9:25:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I have a few hundred bucks, and I'm in serious need of a new video card.
Which should I buy to play first-person shooters? I typically play DooM III,
Halo, and The Sims 2. I love these games, but none of them run very well on
the card I have. I ran 3DMark03 and I got a really low score. The FPS was
always around 17, 12, and 9. Help me out... Which should I get?

Specifications:
-ASRock K7S41GX Motherboard 8X AGP
-AMD Sempron 2500+ 1750MHz (OC @ 2100MHz)
-512MB OEM DDR DIMM RAM
-WD400 40GB Hard Drive 2MB Cache
-nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 with AGP 8X
-LiteON 52X/32X/52X CD-R/RW Drive
-Mitsumi DVD-ROM Drive
-Agere Soft Modem V.92 56K

Any help with this situation would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!
Anonymous
November 13, 2004 12:42:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

My last card - 9800 Pro- ran doom 3 excellent. All settings in Doom 3 were
set to the highest.

You might also consider upgrading your memory to 1 Gig to get the best
performance. XP uses quite a bit of the memory and Doom likes a lot as well.

I installed XP on 2 partitons on my hard drive. One is for regular
computing - Surfing the net etc and the other is strickly for Games. Just
XP , Firewall , Antivirus and Games. This setup keeps the games partiton a
lot cleaner and the games run real well this way.

"Host [UltGC]" <ultgcgaming@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I have a few hundred bucks, and I'm in serious need of a new video card.
> Which should I buy to play first-person shooters? I typically play DooM
> III,
> Halo, and The Sims 2. I love these games, but none of them run very well
> on
> the card I have. I ran 3DMark03 and I got a really low score. The FPS was
> always around 17, 12, and 9. Help me out... Which should I get?
>
> Specifications:
> -ASRock K7S41GX Motherboard 8X AGP
> -AMD Sempron 2500+ 1750MHz (OC @ 2100MHz)
> -512MB OEM DDR DIMM RAM
> -WD400 40GB Hard Drive 2MB Cache
> -nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 with AGP 8X
> -LiteON 52X/32X/52X CD-R/RW Drive
> -Mitsumi DVD-ROM Drive
> -Agere Soft Modem V.92 56K
>
> Any help with this situation would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

Anonymous
November 13, 2004 12:46:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I forgot to say in the previous post :

I upgrade dfrom the 9800 Pro to the BFG GeForce 6800 OC. The graphics are
Fantastic and a lot better than the 9800 Pro. It cost me $385 Canadian so if
you are spending American Bucks you should be able to get that one for a
good price. The 9800 Pro has 8 pipelines - the 6800 has 12 pipelines. Memory
on the 9800 is 378 mhz and the 6800 is 700 mhz.

"Host [UltGC]" <ultgcgaming@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I have a few hundred bucks, and I'm in serious need of a new video card.
> Which should I buy to play first-person shooters? I typically play DooM
> III,
> Halo, and The Sims 2. I love these games, but none of them run very well
> on
> the card I have. I ran 3DMark03 and I got a really low score. The FPS was
> always around 17, 12, and 9. Help me out... Which should I get?
>
> Specifications:
> -ASRock K7S41GX Motherboard 8X AGP
> -AMD Sempron 2500+ 1750MHz (OC @ 2100MHz)
> -512MB OEM DDR DIMM RAM
> -WD400 40GB Hard Drive 2MB Cache
> -nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 with AGP 8X
> -LiteON 52X/32X/52X CD-R/RW Drive
> -Mitsumi DVD-ROM Drive
> -Agere Soft Modem V.92 56K
>
> Any help with this situation would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

November 13, 2004 12:26:10 PM

Host [UltGC] wrote:
> I have a few hundred bucks, and I'm in serious need of a new video card.
> Which should I buy to play first-person shooters? I typically play DooM III,
> Halo, and The Sims 2. I love these games, but none of them run very well on
> the card I have. I ran 3DMark03 and I got a really low score. The FPS was
> always around 17, 12, and 9. Help me out... Which should I get?
>
> Specifications:
> -ASRock K7S41GX Motherboard 8X AGP
> -AMD Sempron 2500+ 1750MHz (OC @ 2100MHz)
> -512MB OEM DDR DIMM RAM
> -WD400 40GB Hard Drive 2MB Cache
> -nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 with AGP 8X
> -LiteON 52X/32X/52X CD-R/RW Drive
> -Mitsumi DVD-ROM Drive
> -Agere Soft Modem V.92 56K
>
> Any help with this situation would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

MonarchComputer has a NVIDIA G6800 Ultra for $499.00 it is a very good
video board.
!