Bookup vs Fritz 8

I am a chess newbie, so please forgive my ignorance in asking this question.
I already have own Fritz 8 and would like to know if there is any benefit in
getting Bookup.
From what I understand, Bookup really only allows you to handle variations
in chess movements and Fritz 8 seems to have the same capability.

Bookup is dedicated to teach you opening theory. As the product name
implies, it let you throw in a notebook a series of moves and variations
belonging to the same opening.
Actually it's a dedicated chess database very similar to an editable opening
tree, where to each move/position can be associated a comment of your own. I
suggest you to go to their website and watch their excellent small movies
demonstrating the product possibilities. Besides, from each position, you
can launch a chess engine (e.g. Crafty) and play further against the engine.
Bookup comes with a basic book, but to study an opening repertoire with
sufficient depth you'll have to purchase separately several other Bookup
books. The process can become fairly expensive... On the other hand there
are a series of free books available to download from bookup and elsewhere
on the internet, but there is no warranty of the quality of the content...

Fritz was not devised primarily to teach you chess but to play against it.
Thus, the possibility for active coaching or to practice a given opening are
quite limited. But Fritz comes with a decent database of more than 500'000
games to study and you can enhance playing variety by buying separately the
Powerbook DVD which in its current incarnation contains more than 20'000'000
distinct positions!

Those are good products, but I was nevertheless disappointed by the teaching
abilities of both of them, thus for chess training purposes I devised my
own system which is still in development...

Cheers,
Mel

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 18:52:31 -0000, "johncostigan"
<jeancostigan@eircom.net> wrote:

>I am a chess newbie, so please forgive my ignorance in asking this question.
>I already have own Fritz 8 and would like to know if there is any benefit in
>getting Bookup.
>From what I understand, Bookup really only allows you to handle variations
>in chess movements and Fritz 8 seems to have the same capability.

The Express version of Bookup isn't that expensive and is worth the
$29 or so.

It's a fairly powerful way to model and annotate an openings tree as
you are trying to develop yoru openings repertoire.

It's best used in conjunction with your own games or to enter openings
lines from a book like MCO-14 or an openings theory book (in my
opinion anyway).

There are lots of ways to use Fritz 8 and Bookup together since they
both handle PGN files.

You might want to also try CPT at http://www.chesspositiontrainer.com/

if the developer keeps working away bookup may become old tech.