Mackie Onyx 800R VS Onyx 1640 w/FW card

Last response: in Home Audio
August 30, 2005 3:49:55 AM

I wonder how much difference there are between those two Mackie
products which share the newest mic pre. I assume that the FireWire
card (for mixer) has all the A/D converters, but I wonder if anyone
knows how it differs from the one in 800R.
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 9:09:36 AM

TM wrote:
> I wonder how much difference there are between those two Mackie
> products which share the newest mic pre. I assume that the FireWire
> card (for mixer) has all the A/D converters, but I wonder if anyone
> knows how it differs from the one in 800R.

There are many differences. While they share the same basic front end
(with the exception of the two channels on the 800R that have variable
input impedance), almost everything else is different.

They use different converters. There are real A/D converters in the
800R while the Onyx Firewire is a Bridgeco audio chip. The 800R works
up to 192 kHz (good for marketing, questionable in practice) and has an
assortment of outputs (but not Firewire). The Onyx is limited to 96 kHz
and has only Firewire digital outputs. Then there's the fact that the
1640 gives you 16 mic inputs and the 800R has only 8.

If you're looking for a studio product, I'd recommend the 800R and work
out the interfacing depending on how you work. The Onyx mixer with the
Firewire card is a really great way to bring home a multitrack
recording of whatever went into the mics when you're doing a live show,
but that combination can be somewhat awkward for studio use. You'll
piss and moan because in order to use the mixer's EQ for recording
you'll have to do some patching, and then you can only get two EQ'd
channels going to the computer through the Firewire interface. And to
use the mixer's EQ for mixing your tracks, you'll need an interface for
your computer that has multiple outputs.

The two are as much alike as two watermelons in a patch.
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 9:56:32 AM

Mike,

do you know if the pres sound the same? I guess technically they
should be. I need more channels of pre- i have an onyx 1220 and a RNP.
I was thinking a focusrite octopre or a mackie 800r but i don't
really like the pres in my mackie board. They're kind of nasally.

Nate
!