Chess engine download website

While looking for a downloadable version of Crafty the other day, I got
slightly annoyed because I couldn't find it.

Would anybody be interested in helping me build a website as a download
repository for chess engines? - i.e. in the spirit of download.com,
hotscripts and sourceforge - but only for chess engines. Maybe have a
forum for discussion of their installation, configuration, results
etc...

Anybody interested ?

(to qualify that this isn't a half arsed suggestion, I am a
professional software developer in the daytime, so could do the
technical side standing on my head).

Regards,

Jonathan

On 17 Mar 2005 01:27:08 -0800, "jonathan.beckett"
<jonathan.beckett@gmail.com> wrote:

>While looking for a downloadable version of Crafty the other day, I got
>slightly annoyed because I couldn't find it.
>
>Would anybody be interested in helping me build a website as a download
>repository for chess engines? - i.e. in the spirit of download.com,
>hotscripts and sourceforge - but only for chess engines. Maybe have a
>forum for discussion of their installation, configuration, results
>etc...
>
>Anybody interested ?
>
>(to qualify that this isn't a half arsed suggestion, I am a
>professional software developer in the daytime, so could do the
>technical side standing on my head).
>
>Regards,
>
>Jonathan

You must be totally new to this. I am assuming because what you
posted is already there. Crafty can be easily downloaded from
www.chessbase.com and there are websites that have chess engines to
download. As for discussion there is rec.games.chess.computer NG.
You say your a professional software developer in the daytime. Yet
you couldn't find Crafty on Google, or put chess engines Crafty on
Google search.

EZoto

Jonathan,

You just made all us professional software developers look like dunces. It
took me all of 10 seconds to type in "Crafty Chess" in Google and find a
site where I could download it (http://crafty-chess.com/). I'm sure there
are many more.

jonathan.beckett wrote:
> While looking for a downloadable version of Crafty the other day, I got
> slightly annoyed because I couldn't find it.
>
> Would anybody be interested in helping me build a website as a download
> repository for chess engines? - i.e. in the spirit of download.com,
> hotscripts and sourceforge - but only for chess engines. Maybe have a
> forum for discussion of their installation, configuration, results
> etc...
>
> Anybody interested ?
>
> (to qualify that this isn't a half arsed suggestion, I am a
> professional software developer in the daytime, so could do the
> technical side standing on my head).
>
> Regards,
>
> Jonathan

There are already a lot of sites. One with high activity is
http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl/ (select "News page" in the menu).

--
Peter Pein
Berlin