Two in, one out stereo headphone mixer, battery powered

Last response: in Home Audio
August 30, 2005 11:02:54 PM

I'm looking for a battery powered, belt clipable, solution for using two
stereo audio devices with one set of headphones. If I had to make one where
would I start researching?

Thanks,

Mick
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 11:02:55 PM

rhyze <rhyze@prodigy.net> wrote:
>I'm looking for a battery powered, belt clipable, solution for using two
>stereo audio devices with one set of headphones. If I had to make one where
>would I start researching?

Make a Y cable with two plugs going into one jack. Put a 47 ohm resistor
in series with each signal lead on each plug. Voila.
--scott

August 30, 2005 11:02:55 PM

On 8/30/05 3:02 PM, rhyze wrote:

> I'm looking for a battery powered, belt clipable, solution for using two
> stereo audio devices with one set of headphones. If I had to make one where
> would I start researching?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mick

Are you trying to simply switch between the two sources or do you really
need to 'mix' the sources to a single output? Are you sure you want an
'active' circuit as this could probably be done as a 'passive' circuit
at far less cost?

--
Larry Green
Anonymous

rhyze wrote:
> I am under the impression that a simple y-cable has the potential to cause
> damage.

That's what the resistors that Scott told you to put in line are
designed to prevent. There are certain things that you don't want to Y
together, but when you're combining line level signals, there's not
likely to be any damage.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 4:35:59 AM

I believe I understand you to mean that I will have two seperate stereo male
leads that will each have the aforementioned resister in-line, each looking
a bit like a snake with a full belly, converging into a single female stereo
lead.

The resisters keep everything from smoking, eh?

The purpose, btw, is to be able to keep my mp3 player patched into my duplex
cable while in between setups so I can always have an ear for the mixer, and
can mic the director, AD, et.al. and unobtrusively listen to their
discussion about the next setup without crowding them. While I appreciate
the mixer soliciting musical requests of me between setups and piping them
into my cans throughout the day I sometimes feel the need to have MY finger
on the button instead of asking that he turn down the tunes or resorting to
completely removing my headphones while preparing for the next setup.

Mick

"rhyze" <rhyze@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> I'm looking for a battery powered, belt clipable, solution for using two
> stereo audio devices with one set of headphones. If I had to make one
> where would I start researching?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mick

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 4:40:59 AM

"Larry Green" <larry.green@nospam.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> On 8/30/05 3:02 PM, rhyze wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a battery powered, belt clipable, solution for using two
>> stereo audio devices with one set of headphones. If I had to make one
>> where would I start researching?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mick
>
> Are you trying to simply switch between the two sources or do you really
> need to 'mix' the sources to a single output? Are you sure you want an
> 'active' circuit as this could probably be done as a 'passive' circuit at
> far less cost?
>
> --
> Larry Green

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 4:41:00 AM

On 9/4/05 8:40 PM, rhyze wrote:

> "Larry Green" <larry.green@nospam.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>
>>On 8/30/05 3:02 PM, rhyze wrote:
>>

>>>I'm looking for a battery powered, belt clipable, solution for using two
>>>stereo audio devices with one set of headphones. If I had to make one
>>>where would I start researching?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>Mick
>>
>>Are you trying to simply switch between the two sources or do you really
>>need to 'mix' the sources to a single output? Are you sure you want an
>>'active' circuit as this could probably be done as a 'passive' circuit at
>>far less cost?
>>
>>--
>>Larry Green

Bottom posted so it actually make sense...........

Mick wrote:

> I am under the impression that a simple y-cable has the potential to
cause
> damage.
>
> Mick

If you check above I never said anything about a simple Y cable. I was
asking if you were looking for a mixing circuit or a switching circuit.
Active and passive refers to the type of circuits involved.

Try Googling 'electronic circuits', there is likely something out there
as audio circuits are very popular.

--
Larry Green
Anonymous

rhyze <rhyze@prodigy.net> wrote:
>I believe I understand you to mean that I will have two seperate stereo male
>leads that will each have the aforementioned resister in-line, each looking
>a bit like a snake with a full belly, converging into a single female stereo
>lead.

Actually, you can usually fit the resistors inside the plugs if you are
careful. The Neutrik 1/8" plugs have enough room for two carefully wired
1/4W resistors.

>The resisters keep everything from smoking, eh?

No, they keep the outputs from fighting one another. Think about it this
way... you got a thing with a zero output impedance. No signal is coming
out of it... now you put it in parallel with another signal source, and it
is going to act like a short across the other signal source. One of the
amplifier stages will be eating all the signal from the other one. The
breakout resistors prevent this by increasing the effective output impedance
of each output.

If you tie the two together without breakout resistors, you won't hear
anything.
--scott

September 5, 2005 8:41:18 PM

(Okay, this should be in the correct place in the thread now)

news:D f2buh$e87$1@panix2.panix.com...
> rhyze <rhyze@prodigy.net> wrote:
>>I'm looking for a battery powered, belt clipable, solution for using two
>>stereo audio devices with one set of headphones. If I had to make one
>>where
>>would I start researching?
>
> Make a Y cable with two plugs going into one jack. Put a 47 ohm resistor
> in series with each signal lead on each plug. Voila.
> --scott

September 5, 2005 8:41:19 PM

Thanks for the explanation AND the "how to".

news:D fhlt9$hrv$1@panix2.panix.com...
> rhyze <rhyze@prodigy.net> wrote:
>>I believe I understand you to mean that I will have two seperate stereo
>>male
>>leads that will each have the aforementioned resister in-line, each
>>looking
>>a bit like a snake with a full belly, converging into a single female
>>stereo
>>lead.
>
> Actually, you can usually fit the resistors inside the plugs if you are
> careful. The Neutrik 1/8" plugs have enough room for two carefully wired
> 1/4W resistors.
>
>>The resisters keep everything from smoking, eh?
>
> No, they keep the outputs from fighting one another. Think about it this
> way... you got a thing with a zero output impedance. No signal is coming
> out of it... now you put it in parallel with another signal source, and it
> is going to act like a short across the other signal source. One of the
> amplifier stages will be eating all the signal from the other one. The
> breakout resistors prevent this by increasing the effective output
> impedance
> of each output.
>
> If you tie the two together without breakout resistors, you won't hear
> anything.
> --scott

September 5, 2005 8:46:45 PM

I read it, I simply didn't understand it. I'll be sure and not forget to
feel like an idiot, chastise myself for my ignorance, and allow myself no
fun the rest of the labor day weekend on my sailboat. : /

Thanks for the clarification and the info.

!