Sign in with
Your question

I cannot delete CD-RWs anymore

Last response: in Storage
September 19, 2003 8:28:27 AM

I tried to install Mendrake Linux, and because you have to burn it to CD before, I tried to do that. I used a CD-RW because I didnt want to waist a CD-R. This CD-RW wasnt really empty, so I tried to delete it, but this didnt work:

nero and clone-cd said, that the CD wasnt deleteable because it was no CD-RW.

I also think, that I know the reason for this: since months my CD-RM drive has problems reading CDs, and since a few weeks it doesnt work at all anymore: When I insert a CD and try to access it in Windows or even in DOS (w/ dir), my PC crashes. When I try the same CD in my DVD drive, it doesnt have any problems reading it. My CD-RW drive doesnt mak any problems when burning a CD.

I think, that the problem is, that when the burner isnt able to read a CD, he will also have problems to check if it is rewritable.

So I have a question: Does anyone know a program (for Windows or DOS), which can be used to delete a CD-RW and doesnt check if it really is a CD-RW?

AMD Athlon XP 2700+
Epox 8rda+
Thermaltake Volcano 7+
2x256 MB PC2700
Creative GeForce 4 Ti 4800 (4600 Chip)
Chieftech Case
WD 80GB/8MB HDD
16x48 DVD-ROM
20x10x32 Burner

More about : delete rws anymore

September 19, 2003 2:29:40 PM

<b>[EDIT]</b>
Didn't work for me. Program didn't complete disc blanking. I can't recommend it.

I'm only talking about the freebie, SuperBlank. I still don't know anything (good or bad) about Arrowkey's products.

Sorry.

<b>[end of edit]</b>

I never tried it myself but Arrowkey's SuperBlank (free download) might do what you want.

(I wish I knew about Arrowkey's trial version of CD Rx Data Retriever a few months ago when one of my CDRWs went bad).

<A HREF="http://www.arrowkey.com" target="_new">www.arrowkey.com&lt;/A>

<b>[EDIT]</b>
Apparently Arrowkey just makes SuperBlank available as a courtesy. Below is a link to the author's site.

<A HREF="http://come.to/SuperBlank" target="_new">http://come.to/SuperBlank&lt;/A>

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 09/19/03 12:28 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 19, 2003 2:39:59 PM

Yikes!

Turn off the Auto mode before you install a CDRW. Otherwise, SuperBlank starts erasing the second you install a disc into any CDRW drive.

One thing though, it's painfully slow. It erases at 2X. (Hopefully that's a good sign that it's forcing an erase)

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>
Related resources
September 19, 2003 4:09:00 PM

The program should also allow to manually set if the CD is a CD-R or a CD-RW, because in a different forum it sayed, that when the program recognizes aq CD-RW as a CD-R or the other way round, even the CD-Burner can be damaged.

About Super Blank: It didnt work: When I clicked on Blank, it didnt do anything, only the field on the left w/ the 1 turned red. I assume, that 1 is the number of CD-RW drives I have.

AMD Athlon XP 2700+
Epox 8rda+
Thermaltake Volcano 7+
2x256 MB PC2700
Chieftech Case
WD 80GB/8MB HDD
16x48 DVD-ROM
20x10x32 Burner<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by MrBurns on 09/19/03 12:09 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 19, 2003 4:23:20 PM

Aargh! Didn't work for me either.

I did seem to get further than you. The drive ran for 20 minutes and stopped, no error. The disc was unreadable (but I could make it reusable with Clone CD).

I then went to the author's page and downloaded version 2 (which he recommends for troublesome CDRWs).

Again it cut short after 20 minutes but this time I was told the "blanking" ended too soon.

No joy!

Sorry I even mentioned this crappy program!

I'm editing my other posts now so no one else wastes their time.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 09/19/03 12:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 19, 2003 7:25:46 PM

I cleaned my drive w/ a cleaning-CD, and now it can read as good as when I could erase CD-RWs drive again, but I still cat delete the CD. Under CD-Info in nero it says, that the CD is a read-only CD-ROM. So I know think, that it is the disk.

AMD Athlon XP 2700+
Epox 8rda+
Thermaltake Volcano 7+
2x256 MB PC2700
Chieftech Case
WD 80GB/8MB HDD
16x48 DVD-ROM
20x10x32 Burner
September 22, 2003 9:38:43 PM

It now looks, like the burner is the reason for the problems:

I have buyed a CD-RW today, and after I put it in the drive, nero's CD-Info meant, that there was no CD in the drive. After that I tried the same w/ an empty CD-R, but the result was the same. Whats also strange is, that the burner can read burned CDs (although it makes a lot of errors, but this isnt different w/ bought CDs), but when a CD-R/RWis empty, it doesnt even recognize, that there is something in the drive. Explorer has the same behaviour: Until a short time ago Explorer showed me the contents of the empty CDs, and under properties -> file system it said CDBLANK, but now Explorer only complains, that it cannot access the drive.

AMD Athlon XP 2700+
Epox 8rda+
Thermaltake Volcano 7+
2x256 MB PC2700
Chieftech Case
WD 80GB/8MB HDD
16x48 DVD-ROM
20x10x32 Burner
September 23, 2003 9:36:59 AM

A lot of errors while reading? Problems determining the medium type? All symptoms point to bad optics. Dirty probably. You wrote that you used a cleaning CD to clean the drive, but I don't have much confidence in those: the optics are supposed to hover above the disk and not to touch them. I would try to open the drive and clean the lens with alcohol.
It is also possible that the laser is going bad. Not likely if it's still capable of burning CDROMS. Or the optics are disaligned (can happen for example if you put in a CD with labels upside down in the drive: the label may have hit the optics)
September 23, 2003 3:00:27 PM

It isnt capable of burning anything anymore. I also never used a CD w/ a label.

AMD Athlon XP 2700+
Epox 8rda+
Thermaltake Volcano 7+
2x256 MB PC2700
Chieftech Case
WD 80GB/8MB HDD
16x48 DVD-ROM
20x10x32 Burner
!