Cant amke Arena work with Chess Engines!

Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

Hello Chess Friends,

I ahve downloaded Arena 1.1 and alot of chess engiens from eMule.
The problem is that the chess engines work with arena only when they are in
..exe format.

But most of my engines are comeing with 2 files likes this.

Hiarc9.eng and Hiarc9.dll

I am telling Arena to use the file with .eng it takes it but the engine
wont play if its turn comes.

What am i doing wrong?

And also, what do you consider to be the best engine? (free or non-free)

--
Just because I didnt doesnt mean I dont want to.
Just because I wouldnt doesnt mean I cant.
16 answers Last reply
More about cant amke arena work chess engines
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    Richard Anderson wrote:
    > And also, what do you consider to be the best engine? (free or
    > non-free)

    http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl/html/premier.htm
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    Richard Anderson wrote:
    > Hello Chess Friends,
    >
    > I ahve downloaded Arena 1.1 and alot of chess engiens from eMule.
    > The problem is that the chess engines work with arena only when they are in
    > ..exe format.
    >
    > But most of my engines are comeing with 2 files likes this.
    >
    > Hiarc9.eng and Hiarc9.dll
    >
    > I am telling Arena to use the file with .eng it takes it but the engine
    > wont play if its turn comes.
    >
    > What am i doing wrong?
    > ...
    use a chessbase GUI for chessbase engines

    --
    Peter Pein
    Berlin
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    Peter Pein <petsie@arcor.de> wrote in news:3aaihlF695i95U2@individual.net:

    >> What am i doing wrong?
    >> ...
    > use a chessbase GUI for chessbase engines

    Perhaps you can suggest me one of the best?

    --
    Just because I didnt doesnt mean I dont want to.
    Just because I wouldnt doesnt mean I cant.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    Richard Anderson <hackeras@gmail.com> wrote in
    rec.games.chess.computer:


    > But most of my engines are comeing with 2 files likes this.
    >
    > Hiarc9.eng and Hiarc9.dll
    >
    > I am telling Arena to use the file with .eng it takes it but the
    > engine wont play if its turn comes.
    >
    > What am i doing wrong?


    Basically downloading them without paying. Furthermore Chessbase
    engines have a proprietary format, they're neither Winboard, not
    UCI-compatible. If you steal software, steal at least a complete
    set.


    --
    CeeBee

    "Eppur si muove!"
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    CeeBee <ceebeechester@start.com.au> wrote in
    news:Xns962198489D73Eceebeechesterstartco@195.121.6.74:

    > Basically downloading them without paying. Furthermore Chessbase
    > engines have a proprietary format, they're neither Winboard, not
    > UCI-compatible. If you steal software, steal at least a complete
    > set.

    I just need the engine so then i can make all the engines paly oen against
    the other to see how they play and whos best.

    Weher can i find a Chessbase GUI and why Arena doesnt support this format
    the engines have? its ownsership of chessbase company only? why they doest
    aslo make the engines support all availabe chess protocols?

    Arena only accept .exe Can i find the above engines in .exe format or only
    in .eng and .dll ?

    --
    Just because I didnt doesnt mean I dont want to.
    Just because I wouldnt doesnt mean I cant.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    Richard Anderson wrote:
    > CeeBee <ceebeechester@start.com.au> wrote in
    > news:Xns962198489D73Eceebeechesterstartco@195.121.6.74:
    >
    >
    >>Basically downloading them without paying. Furthermore Chessbase
    >>engines have a proprietary format, they're neither Winboard, not
    >>UCI-compatible. If you steal software, steal at least a complete
    >>set.
    >
    >
    > I just need the engine so then i can make all the engines paly oen against
    > the other to see how they play and whos best.
    >
    > Weher can i find a Chessbase GUI and why Arena doesnt support this format
    > the engines have? its ownsership of chessbase company only? why they doest
    > aslo make the engines support all availabe chess protocols?
    >
    > Arena only accept .exe Can i find the above engines in .exe format or only
    > in .eng and .dll ?
    >
    Basically he explained it all, however, you could ask Chessbase support
    to send you a copy of their GUI. They are generally nice people, so
    maybe you'll get it. Remember to tell them that it's for eng-engines,
    not exe.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    HD <HDChess@gmail.com> wrote in news:fQX%d.166$qe6.53@news.get2net.dk:

    > Basically he explained it all, however, you could ask Chessbase support
    > to send you a copy of their GUI. They are generally nice people, so
    > maybe you'll get it. Remember to tell them that it's for eng-engines,
    > not exe.

    Well ok, but what i really want to do is to use the above engines in
    conjuction with Arena not the Chessbase product.

    Is there a tool that will convert .eng -> .exe or the engines exist also as
    ..exe's somewhere?

    --
    Just because I didnt doesnt mean I dont want to.
    Just because I wouldnt doesnt mean I cant.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    Richard Anderson wrote:
    > HD <HDChess@gmail.com> wrote in news:fQX%d.166$qe6.53@news.get2net.dk:
    >
    >
    >>Basically he explained it all, however, you could ask Chessbase support
    >>to send you a copy of their GUI. They are generally nice people, so
    >>maybe you'll get it. Remember to tell them that it's for eng-engines,
    >>not exe.
    >
    >
    > Well ok, but what i really want to do is to use the above engines in
    > conjuction with Arena not the Chessbase product.
    >
    > Is there a tool that will convert .eng -> .exe or the engines exist also as
    > .exe's somewhere?
    >
    No.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    Richard Anderson <hackeras@gmail.com> wrote in
    rec.games.chess.computer:

    > HD <HDChess@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> however, you could ask Chessbase
    >> support to send you a copy of their GUI. They are generally
    >> nice people, so maybe you'll get it. Remember to tell them that
    >> it's for eng-engines, not exe.
    >
    > Well ok, but what i really want to do is to use the above
    > engines in conjuction with Arena not the Chessbase product.


    This case is worse than we thought.

    Both great fun _and_ disturbing at the same time. Sometimes that
    happens, you know.

    --
    CeeBee

    "Eppur si muove!"
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    CeeBee wrote:

    > This case is worse than we thought.
    >
    > Both great fun _and_ disturbing at the same time. Sometimes that
    > happens, you know.
    >

    Right in every word.
    And even for free..!
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    HD <HDChess@gmail.com> wrote in news:4T80e.7$9e4.6@news.get2net.dk:

    > CeeBee wrote:
    >
    >> This case is worse than we thought.
    >>
    >> Both great fun _and_ disturbing at the same time. Sometimes that
    >> happens, you know.
    >>
    >
    > Right in every word.
    > And even for free..!

    Will you please tell me what chessbase GUI product is the best to use and
    also how can i make .eng play with arena somehow?


    --
    Just because I didnt doesnt mean I dont want to.
    Just because I wouldnt doesnt mean I cant.
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    Richard Anderson wrote:
    > HD <HDChess@gmail.com> wrote in news:4T80e.7$9e4.6@news.get2net.dk:
    >
    >
    >>CeeBee wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>This case is worse than we thought.
    >>>
    >>>Both great fun _and_ disturbing at the same time. Sometimes that
    >>>happens, you know.
    >>>
    >>
    >>Right in every word.
    >>And even for free..!
    >
    >
    > Will you please tell me what chessbase GUI product is the best to use and
    > also how can i make .eng play with arena somehow?
    >
    >
    >
    Whatever Chessbase might send you, it will be good: There's not much
    difference, and you wont miss anything.
    BTW, you'll need the openingbooks for the engines too: Many engines
    plays badly on books that doesn't suit their style. Of cource, if you
    are good enough, you can create some yourself, when you've figured out
    their style.
    Again, there's no way to make CB-"eng"-engines play in other GUI's, but
    if you insist on having them working in Arena, you can hook up an extra
    comp and use autoplayer - but it still requires the CB-GUI to work.
    Surely, when you're are at it, you could ask Chessbase for their secret
    protocol, so you could convert engines yourself. It just might be
    easiest thing after all.
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    HD <HDChess@gmail.com> wrote in news:TEu0e.24$mO1.4@news.get2net.dk:

    > Whatever Chessbase might send you, it will be good: There's not much
    > difference, and you wont miss anything.

    I ahve gone to their site but why dont they have trials or something that
    ppl can downlaod to test their product?

    Wheres the trial for ChessBase 9? Why do we have to ask them to email it to
    use instead of just they have them ready for downloading it?

    --
    Just because I didnt doesnt mean I dont want to.
    Just because I wouldnt doesnt mean I cant.
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    Richard Anderson wrote:
    > HD <HDChess@gmail.com> wrote in news:TEu0e.24$mO1.4@news.get2net.dk:
    >
    >
    >>Whatever Chessbase might send you, it will be good: There's not much
    >>difference, and you wont miss anything.
    >
    >
    > I ahve gone to their site but why dont they have trials or something that
    > ppl can downlaod to test their product?
    >
    You should ask Chessbase about that.

    > Wheres the trial for ChessBase 9? Why do we have to ask them to email it to
    > use

    I didn't say they would email CB9, I suggested that you tried to ask for
    a copy of their GUI. If you explain your situation, they must understand.

    instead of just they have them ready for downloading it?
    >
    Again, you should ask Chessbase - I can only guess.
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    * Richard Anderson <hackeras@gmail.com> (2005-03-22) schrieb:

    > Peter Pein <petsie@arcor.de> wrote in news:3aaihlF695i95U2@individual.net:
    >
    >>> What am i doing wrong?
    >>> ...
    >> use a chessbase GUI for chessbase engines
    >
    > Perhaps you can suggest me one of the best?

    Fritz? But you can buy Shredder along with a Fritz GUI.

    mfg, simon .... l
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.chess.computer (More info?)

    Simon Krahnke <overlord@gmx.li> wrote in news:87oed7tf4p.fsf@xts.gnuu.de:

    > Fritz? But you can buy Shredder along with a Fritz GUI.

    Iam currently using ProDeo(free version of Rebel 12).

    Is Fritz better that ProDeo and DeepJunior?

    Prodeo is surely better that Shredder though cause i ahve tese them by
    playing against in Arena.

    --
    Just because I didnt doesnt mean I dont want to.
    Just because I wouldnt doesnt mean I cant.
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Video Games