board[8][8] index out of bounds exception, the test progra..

Last response: in Video Games
Share
March 23, 2005 4:34:46 AM

This is a followup to board[8][8] index out of bounds exception.

I wrote a small test-program to see how long it takes to do the out of
bounds check with IF-statments and with a try-catch block. You were
right! Accordning to my test program using a try-catch block is 170
times slower than using IF-statments!

I guess that I study bitboard representation a bit more before I start
programming.

If there is any one else beginner java chess programmer out there,
feel free to join me in my struggle!

// Mattias
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 1:07:33 PM

Mattias wrote:
> This is a followup to board[8][8] index out of bounds exception.
>
> I wrote a small test-program to see how long it takes to do the out
of
> bounds check with IF-statments and with a try-catch block. You were
> right! Accordning to my test program using a try-catch block is 170
> times slower than using IF-statments!
>
> I guess that I study bitboard representation a bit more before I
start
> programming.

I would suggest you might use one of the array based implementations
first. Bitboard stuff is a little harder to understand. The concept
is simple, but the application can be a little mind bending.
!