advice needed

me and my brother play each other over the internet and neither of us know
what were doing but he always wins

is there a way i can beet him?

i here there is a way of winning in only a few moves , hw is this done?

Sam Carlton wrote:
> me and my brother play each other over the internet and neither of us
know
> what were doing but he always wins
>
> is there a way i can beet him?
>
> i here there is a way of winning in only a few moves , hw is this
done?

Strategy and tactics my newbie friend. Focus on tactics for now.
Learn one opening and variations to get you started and then use
tactices to putyourself in an endgame you can win. You will learn
strategy as you go.

Noah Roberts <nroberts@stmartin.edu> wrote:
> Sam Carlton wrote:
>> me and my brother play each other over the internet and neither of us
>> know what were doing but he always wins
>>
>> is there a way i can beet him?
>>
>> i here there is a way of winning in only a few moves , hw is this
>> done?
>
> Strategy and tactics my newbie friend. Focus on tactics for now.

Amen, brother. Learn to recognize forks, pins and so on.

> Learn one opening and variations to get you started and then use
> tactices to putyourself in an endgame you can win.

If your only opponent is somebody who `doesn't know what he's doing',
there's no point learning an opening and its variations because your
opponent will play something on move four or five that wasn't in your
book.

Get yourself a copy of Chernev's book `Logical Chess Move by Move', which
will teach you *why* the pieces go where they do in the standard openings.
If you understand how the opening works (rather than just memorizing
lines), you'll be able to cope when your opponent does something strange
(which usually means `bad', in the opening).

Dave.

--
David Richerby Solar-Powered Indelible Peanut (TM):
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ it's like a roasted nut but it can't

David Richerby <davidr@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in

>> Strategy and tactics my newbie friend. Focus on tactics for now.
>
> Amen, brother. Learn to recognize forks, pins and so on.

Guys, what exactly do you mean when you refer to "tactics"?

> If your only opponent is somebody who `doesn't know what he's doing',
> there's no point learning an opening and its variations because your
> opponent will play something on move four or five that wasn't in your
> book.
>
> Get yourself a copy of Chernev's book `Logical Chess Move by Move',
> which will teach you *why* the pieces go where they do in the standard
> openings. If you understand how the opening works (rather than just
> memorizing lines), you'll be able to cope when your opponent does
> something strange (which usually means `bad', in the opening).

Yes, i totally agree.
I myself am i newbie in the world of chess. i only play steadily for 1,5
month now...my elo though is 1400-1500.

I always wondering how can i play my middle game.
ok, i have a standard queen's opening but then when the opponent also have
made his opening i dont know how am i supposed to attack him.
By thinkg what guys? i know that we must have a plan to make our attack but
wht if his defense is very good? How am i going to open a hole in his
defense?

I would love to hear that from you!
Thank you.

--
Just because I didnt doesnt mean I dont want to.
Just because I wouldnt doesnt mean I cant.

"Richard Anderson" <hackeras@gmail.com> wrote in message
> David Richerby <davidr@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in
>

> >> Strategy and tactics my newbie friend. Focus on tactics for now.
> >
> > Amen, brother. Learn to recognize forks, pins and so on.
>
> Guys, what exactly do you mean when you refer to "tactics"?
>

> > If your only opponent is somebody who `doesn't know what he's doing',
> > there's no point learning an opening and its variations because your
> > opponent will play something on move four or five that wasn't in your
> > book.
> >
> > Get yourself a copy of Chernev's book `Logical Chess Move by Move',
> > which will teach you *why* the pieces go where they do in the standard
> > openings. If you understand how the opening works (rather than just
> > memorizing lines), you'll be able to cope when your opponent does
> > something strange (which usually means `bad', in the opening).
>
> Yes, i totally agree.
> I myself am i newbie in the world of chess. i only play steadily for 1,5
> month now...my elo though is 1400-1500.
>
> I always wondering how can i play my middle game.
> ok, i have a standard queen's opening but then when the opponent also have
> made his opening i dont know how am i supposed to attack him.
> By thinkg what guys? i know that we must have a plan to make our attack
but
> wht if his defense is very good? How am i going to open a hole in his
> defense?
>
> I would love to hear that from you!
> Thank you.
A short... Play endgames against your computer. First play easy ones (king,
rook and a two pawns against king, rook and a pawn). Then go to the more
complex endings. That will help you to clear what's most important in chess.
And play chess a lot, learn on your own mistakes! :)

Sam Carlton wrote:
> me and my brother play each other over the internet and neither of us know
> what were doing but he always wins
>
> is there a way i can beet him?
>
> i here there is a way of winning in only a few moves , hw is this done?

Buy this book:

Play Winning Chess
by GM Yasser Seirwan

Richard Anderson <hackeras@gmail.com> wrote:
> David Richerby <davidr@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>> Somebody wrote:
>>> Strategy and tactics my newbie friend. Focus on tactics for now.
>>
>> Amen, brother. Learn to recognize forks, pins and so on.
>
> Guys, what exactly do you mean when you refer to "tactics"?

Short (usually) sequences of moves that win material or (more
rarely) positional advantage. The main types are forks, pins, skewers,
discovered attacks and ones exploiting weaknesses of the back rank, though
there are others.

> I always wondering how can i play my middle game.
> ok, i have a standard queen's opening but then when the opponent also
> have made his opening i dont know how am i supposed to attack him.

Once you've learnt the basic tactical motifs, you'll develop a better feel
for how to arrange your pieces for attack. You could try reading some-
thing like Kotov and Keres's "The Art of the Middle Game" but I think it
would be better to get yourself a copy of "Alekhine's Best Games" and work
through the very well annotated games. Alekhine has a superb feel for the
attack and at least some of that is sure to rub off on you! Alternatively
(or even additionally!), Fischer's "60 Memorable Games".

> By thinkg what guys? i know that we must have a plan to make our attack
> but wht if his defense is very good? How am i going to open a hole in
> his defense?

If your opponent's defence is very good, you're going to have to come up
with a very good attack to beat him or her. But your question is almost
as broad as "How can I play good chess?"

Dave.

--
David Richerby Miniature Goldfish (TM): it's like a
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ fish but you can hold in it your hand!

> Short (usually) sequences of moves that win material or (more
> rarely) positional advantage. The main types are forks, pins,
> skewers, discovered attacks and ones exploiting weaknesses of the back
> rank, though there are others.

Can you give me an example of each if its not too much of a trouble?

--

Bugsy <Bugsy@none.com> wrote in news:uBi1e.40320$nK.1784963
@news20.bellglobal.com:

> Buy this book:
>
> Play Winning Chess
> by GM Yasser Seirwan

There are so many books available to buy from many GrandMasters.

Which one should we buy and why?!?

--

Richard Anderson wrote:
> Bugsy <Bugsy@none.com> wrote in news:uBi1e.40320$nK.1784963
> @news20.bellglobal.com:
>

>>Buy this book:
>>
>>Play Winning Chess
>>by GM Yasser Seirwan
>

> There are so many books available to buy from many GrandMasters.
>
> Which one should we buy and why?!?

i just told u

Bugsy <Bugsy@none.com> wrote in news:bAk1e.40389$nK.1804191
@news20.bellglobal.com:

--

Bugsy <Bugsy@none.com> wrote:
> Richard Anderson wrote:
>> Bugsy <Bugsy@none.com> wrote:
>>> Play Winning Chess
>>> by GM Yasser Seirwan
>>
>> There are so many books available to buy from many GrandMasters.
>>
>> Which one should we buy and why?!?
>
> i just told u

You answered the first question but not the second which is, to my mind,
the rather more important one.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Indelible Dish (TM): it's like a fine
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ ceramic dish but it can't be erased!

Richard Anderson <hackeras@gmail.com> wrote:
> David Richerby <davidr@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>> Short (usually) sequences of moves that win material or (more
>> rarely) positional advantage. The main types are forks, pins,
>> skewers, discovered attacks and ones exploiting weaknesses of the
>> back rank, though there are others.
>
> Can you give me an example of each if its not too much of a trouble?

I realise this will probably sound a bit patronising but your question is
only a little bit more advanced than asking how en passant works. Any
beginner's book on chess will explain these things to you and you'll learn
a lot by reading one.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Indelible Lead Hat (TM): it's like
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ a hat that weighs a ton but it can't

Nikos

Distinguished
May 15, 2004

Bugsy <Bugsy@none.com> wrote in news:bAk1e.40389$nK.1804191
@news20.bellglobal.com:

Any suggestions on what book should i buy and why?