SCID question : Opening training with tree window

Last response: in Video Games
March 24, 2005 9:12:06 PM

SCID can be used for opening training with the tree window, but
unfortunately, it does not use the different variations present in each
game. A workaround could be to generate a separate game for each
variation, but this is a long task (I don't know if there is already a
function for this), and I want both to have the main lines with
variations in each game for learning, and to be able to train myself
with the same base. A nice feature would be to take into account the
marks (?, !?) that evaluate each variation.
I began to dig into source code, but I am a bit lost. A good thing would
be have the main features of Chess Position Trainer
(http://www.chesspositiontrainer.com/), which is really slow and lacks
so many features SCID has (moreover I mainly use Linux).
Is someone willing to cooperate to add those features into SCID ?
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 12:56:17 AM

"pgeorges" <NOSPAM@free.fr> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> SCID can be used for opening training with the tree window, but
> unfortunately, it does not use the different variations present in each
> game. A workaround could be to generate a separate game for each
> variation, but this is a long task (I don't know if there is already a
> function for this), and I want both to have the main lines with variations
> in each game for learning, and to be able to train myself with the same
> base. A nice feature would be to take into account the marks (?, !?) that
> evaluate each variation.
> I began to dig into source code, but I am a bit lost. A good thing would
> be have the main features of Chess Position Trainer
> (http://www.chesspositiontrainer.com/), which is really slow and lacks so
> many features SCID has (moreover I mainly use Linux).
> Is someone willing to cooperate to add those features into SCID ?

SCID is a database to store games while CPT stores positions. A different
purpose and thus different features. If you try to use CPT in the same way
and want to manage millions of games CPT will be terrible slow. If you only
manage your repertoire (divided into sub-reperotires) it should be fast
(depending on the machine of course).

While I won't promise that CPT is going to add SCIDs (or Chessbase or CA)
features I can at least say that it will have a new storage system which is
as fast or slow as any other professional database in the not too far
distance (once I get a break from my daily work again). I will add a few
features going into the direction of typical game based databases, but I'm
not going to implement what exists already on the market as I own CA 8.1 and
I'm quite satisfied with it.

Talking about Linux: Well, I think Mono sounds quite interesting and I will
give it a try for sure one day.

Best regards,

Stefan
March 25, 2005 1:16:17 AM

pgeorges wrote:
|| SCID can be used for opening training with the tree window, but
|| unfortunately, it does not use the different variations present in
|| each game. A workaround could be to generate a separate game for
each

You could use two utilites. The first, allows to create a game from
every variation. The second one, allows to convert pgn to a game per
line (record) format, which you could trim to the move number you
wish, sort and delete duplicates, and transform back to pgn. In this
way, you get a game for each line. Now, you could use the repertoire
function of SCID.

a) PgnSplit. Here, it's read.me:
-------------------------------

PgnSplit v.1.1

This commandline tool will take an inputfile in pgn-format with
variations
and output each variation as a separate game into the outputfile.

Syntax:
PgnSplit [options] <inputfile> <outputfile>

/c 0|1 - Write comment to outpufile, default=1
/m <number> - Max moves/game. ex /m 10, default=999
/n 0|1 - Expand nag values, default=1
/v 0|1 - Extend variation, default=1

History:
3.dec.2003 1.0 - Initial release
28.dec.2003 1.1 - Fixed bug when reading long comment

Odd Gunnar Malin

b) pgnutils. Here, it's readme:
------------------------------

pgnutils.txt 28 AUG 2004

Batch files
-----------
byeco.bat Sort one-record-per-game format by ECO opening code
byevent.bat
bymoves.bat
byresult.bat
byyear.bat
pgnify5.bat Normalize AND assign opening data to a PGN file
NOTE: This procedure REPLACES the original input file!!!
Example: pgnify5 Karpov NOTE omit the .pgn
qsort40.bat Shows how to sort on specific `columns`: see qsort.brf

Other files
-----------
one2pgn.exe Restores one-record-per-game format to normalized PGN.

pgn2eco2.eco ECO Opening detection table (plain-text).
pgn2eco2.exe Assigns [ECO and [Opening tag records to PGN file.

pgn2one.exe Reads normalized PGN, outputs one-record-per-game.

pgnbest2.exe Reads PGN, outputs PGN games if BOTH players are
greatest.
pgnbest2.rat User modifiable plain text table of player names &
ratings.

pgndrop3.exe Drops duplicate games: one-record-per-game to normalized
PGN.

pgntrim5.exe The workhorse normalization utility.
pgntrim5.bad Created if errors encountered by PGNTRIM5: user
modifiable.

pgnutils.txt More details about these freeware PGN utilities, and
tips, etc.

qsort.brf Brief documentation
qsort.exe Command-line sort for one-record-per-game formatted
files.

test.pgn Many example PGN games to show PGNTRIM5 normalizing
abilities.
!