Using ChessBase

I store games I've played in tournaments in separate files. eg:

C:\cb60\Frem\2004\ClubChamp

for last year's club chamionship.
Is there a quick way of retrieving all games against a particular
player in several tournaments? And is there a better way of organising
databases to make such a job easier?

spam@iinet.com.au/ spam=ray
www.iinet.com.au/~ray

Ray Johnstone wrote:
> I store games I've played in tournaments in separate files. eg:
>
> C:\cb60\Frem\2004\ClubChamp
>
> for last year's club chamionship.
> Is there a quick way of retrieving all games against a particular
> player in several tournaments? And is there a better way of organising
> databases to make such a job easier?
>
> spam@iinet.com.au/ spam=ray
> www.iinet.com.au/~ray

Let's forget the organizing a little. Sure it can be refined - a great
deal, but it's also a matter of personal taste.

For the search, you can conduct it from the root, in this case C:\
Click on the + sign in in drives, and select your C drive, and search
with ctrl+F as you use to. This will search the hole C partition for
bases with the data you've entered.

Now if you look at this, and think about it, you'll probably realize
that your bases at a higher level, for instance C:\Chessdatabases/ would
make things a little easier.
Also merging some/all of those bases into one would be very beneficial
(you should keep the originals somewhere else, however). Chessbase 9
makes it easy to search in and work with anyway. To mention one thing,
the 'tournament' tab in a database brings your tournaments on top for
viewing, editing etc.

HD

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 11:27:06 +0100, HD <HDChess@gmail.com> wrote:

>Let's forget the organizing a little. Sure it can be refined - a great
>deal, but it's also a matter of personal taste.
>
>For the search, you can conduct it from the root, in this case C:\
>Click on the + sign in in drives, and select your C drive, and search
>with ctrl+F as you use to. This will search the hole C partition for
>bases with the data you've entered.
>
>Now if you look at this, and think about it, you'll probably realize
>that your bases at a higher level, for instance C:\Chessdatabases/ would
>make things a little easier.
>Also merging some/all of those bases into one would be very beneficial
>(you should keep the originals somewhere else, however). Chessbase 9
>makes it easy to search in and work with anyway. To mention one thing,
>the 'tournament' tab in a database brings your tournaments on top for
>viewing, editing etc.
>
>HD
Thank you. Should have said that I am using ChessBase 6.0. I'll think
about your comments tomorrow - nearly midnight here now.

spam@iinet.com.au/ spam=ray
www.iinet.com.au/~ray