Comparison programs for Pocket PC

Last response: in Video Games
March 27, 2005 6:06:08 PM

Does anybody know a good comparison (strength and features) of all the
available chess programs for the PPC?

RBS
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 6:06:09 PM

That's becoming a tougher grid to sort out. There was a review online
that was basically just a round-robin tournament of ppc games, but it
was using Pocket Fritz 1.0, not 2.0. It also makes mention of a
then-newly-released Kasparov Chessmate. PocketGrandmaster beat out
Pocket Fritz 1.0 which beat out ChessGenius.

Fritz 2.0 has been around a while, and I wager it is the strongest out
there for PPC (especially given the results shown on hiarcs.com). But
along with Kasparov Chessmate, there's Intellichess, Pocket GNU Chess
2004 and Pocket Crafty (both by the same company) and a small handful
of others... Kasparov has a 3D board, Intellichess supposedly gives you
the ability to play online; Pocket GNU and Crafty programs are ULTRA
cheap ($2.00 each at Handango) but probably pretty strong. AVOID
"ZingMagic" chess (which used to be Cascata which used to be Purple
Software) - the game claims to be great, but it has a mediocre 3D board
and terrible game play (fast but extremely weak @ low levels; slow but
mediocre @ high levels).

I haven't seen yet a program with true hi-res graphics; support for
hi-res, yes, but the pieces just look like blown-up low-res graphics...

I have both Fritz and Grandmaster, but usually pick Fritz to play
against...

While it makes ZERO difference to my 1500 rating, I'd like to see an
ELO rating list of all the stronger PPC programs, just for kicks...
(I'd also like to see programs go with real hi-res. Of course, HIARCS
for PocketPC would be nice, but I'll wait patiently for Mr. Uniacke to
get around to it.

- Z
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 11:58:52 PM

You'll find some strength info, for Palm and PPC at
http://www.hiarcs.com/phresults.htm

It seems that for PPC the best choice is Fritz 2, for Palm : Hiarcs.
It also seems that the best choice between Fritz/PPC and Hiarcs/Palm is
the latest :-)

RB Smissaert a écrit :
> Does anybody know a good comparison (strength and features) of all the
> available chess programs for the PPC?
>
> RBS
March 28, 2005 1:10:15 AM

OK thanks, but this is not an independent comparison and also it only is
about playing strength.
Any more comparisons available somewhere?

RBS

"pgeorges" <NOSPAM@free.fr> wrote in message
> You'll find some strength info, for Palm and PPC at
> http://www.hiarcs.com/phresults.htm
>
> It seems that for PPC the best choice is Fritz 2, for Palm : Hiarcs.
> It also seems that the best choice between Fritz/PPC and Hiarcs/Palm is
> the latest :-)
>
> RB Smissaert a écrit :
>> Does anybody know a good comparison (strength and features) of all the
>> available chess programs for the PPC?
>>
>> RBS
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 2:25:14 AM

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 14:06:08 GMT, "RB Smissaert"
<bartsmissaert@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Does anybody know a good comparison (strength and features) of all the
>available chess programs for the PPC?
>
>RBS

I own a few of the Pocket PC programs and my two favorites are Pocket
Fritz 2.0 and Pocket Grandmaster.

Pockect Fritz has very good features and integrates nicely with the
online Chessbase database if you have wireless acess to the internet
(or link through a USB cable for that matter).

You can browse move statistics navigating the database like a tree,
seach by header information or even board position. It handles PGN
files really well. You can replace a single game in a PGN file for
example.

Pocket Grandmaster supports 3 different engines, the default one is
Gromit (which plays an interesting weaker game if you set it at 1 or 2
plys) and the other two are SOS and Ruffian.

Intellichess is underwhelming except that it connects to ICC for
playing unrated games.

What I really wish was available for these pocket PC chess games was a
PC based opening book editor. None of them have that.

I'd put Pocket Fritz and Pocket Grandmaster at 1 and 2.
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 2:08:20 PM

Thanks, looks like Pocket Fritz might be the best option then.

RBS

"Rudy Lopez" <nimrod@nimrods.org> wrote in message
> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 14:06:08 GMT, "RB Smissaert"
> <bartsmissaert@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Does anybody know a good comparison (strength and features) of all the
>>available chess programs for the PPC?
>>
>>RBS
>
> I own a few of the Pocket PC programs and my two favorites are Pocket
> Fritz 2.0 and Pocket Grandmaster.
>
> Pockect Fritz has very good features and integrates nicely with the
> online Chessbase database if you have wireless acess to the internet
> (or link through a USB cable for that matter).
>
> You can browse move statistics navigating the database like a tree,
> seach by header information or even board position. It handles PGN
> files really well. You can replace a single game in a PGN file for
> example.
>
> Pocket Grandmaster supports 3 different engines, the default one is
> Gromit (which plays an interesting weaker game if you set it at 1 or 2
> plys) and the other two are SOS and Ruffian.
>
> Intellichess is underwhelming except that it connects to ICC for
> playing unrated games.
>
> What I really wish was available for these pocket PC chess games was a
> PC based opening book editor. None of them have that.
>
> I'd put Pocket Fritz and Pocket Grandmaster at 1 and 2.

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 11:11:10 PM

Please have a look at CEBoard which includes Pocket Crafty Special Edition :
it is free and I think it has the best support for PGN files (including
multi-file position search).

http://www.zanchetta.net/CEBoard

Alain

"RB Smissaert" <bartsmissaert@blueyonder.co.uk> a écrit dans le message de
news: oIQ1e.15248$XH5.11151@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Thanks, looks like Pocket Fritz might be the best option then.
>
> RBS
>

> "Rudy Lopez" <nimrod@nimrods.org> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 14:06:08 GMT, "RB Smissaert"
>> <bartsmissaert@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>Does anybody know a good comparison (strength and features) of all the
>>>available chess programs for the PPC?
>>>
>>>RBS
>>
>> I own a few of the Pocket PC programs and my two favorites are Pocket
>> Fritz 2.0 and Pocket Grandmaster.
>>
>> Pockect Fritz has very good features and integrates nicely with the
>> online Chessbase database if you have wireless acess to the internet
>> (or link through a USB cable for that matter).
>>
>> You can browse move statistics navigating the database like a tree,
>> seach by header information or even board position. It handles PGN
>> files really well. You can replace a single game in a PGN file for
>> example.
>>
>> Pocket Grandmaster supports 3 different engines, the default one is
>> Gromit (which plays an interesting weaker game if you set it at 1 or 2
>> plys) and the other two are SOS and Ruffian.
>>
>> Intellichess is underwhelming except that it connects to ICC for
>> playing unrated games.
>>
>> What I really wish was available for these pocket PC chess games was a
>> PC based opening book editor. None of them have that.
>>
>> I'd put Pocket Fritz and Pocket Grandmaster at 1 and 2.

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 12:16:45 PM

"Rudy Lopez" <nimrod@nimrods.org> skrev i melding
> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 14:06:08 GMT, "RB Smissaert"
> What I really wish was available for these pocket PC chess games was a
> PC based opening book editor. None of them have that.
>
> I'd put Pocket Fritz and Pocket Grandmaster at 1 and 2.

I don't have Pocket Fritz but in the manual (and helpfile) for Shredder
Classic there is a description how to make an openingbook for Pocket Fritz.
I don't know if you can do this with the light version but you find it at
http://www.shredderchess.com/ if you want to try.

Odd Gunnar
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 8:16:45 PM

>I don't have Pocket Fritz but in the manual (and helpfile) for Shredder
>Classic there is a description how to make an openingbook for Pocket Fritz.
>I don't know if you can do this with the light version but you find it at
>http://www.shredderchess.com/ if you want to try.
>
>Odd Gunnar

Wow.

Thanks for this info.

It is probably worth mentioning that Pocket Fritz is really a Pocket
Shredder. The engine was derived from Shredder as far as I know.
Chessbase just wanted to keep Fritz as their flagship engine as far as
marketing goes.
!