FMR RNP vs. Aphex 207D?

Last response: in Home Audio
September 1, 2005 8:03:26 PM

Hello all -

I've been hearing very good things about the FMR "RNP" mic preamp, both in
this forum and over in "rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic".

I was wondering how the RNP compares to another product in that price range,
the Aphex 207D. The Aphex (unlike the RNP) offers SPDIF digital out (would
connect directly to the Presonus Firebox interface I'm using).

Is the 207D roughly comparable? Better? Worse? Much worse?

Either would be a little pricey (considering my needs), but want to
investigate several models before I lay down the money...

Thanks,
- John

More about : fmr rnp aphex 207d

September 1, 2005 8:03:27 PM

> I was wondering how the RNP compares to another product in that price range,
> the Aphex 207D.

I compared the Aphex to a dbx 386 which costs about $100 more than the
Aphex. FWIW I went with the dbx and it sounds pretty nice and has SPDIF
as well. I couldn't find any reviews on-line for the Aphex but the dbx
is pretty well known and there was plenty of info on it.

max
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 8:03:27 PM

Aphex makes some good stuff and some mediocre stuff (I have one of their
Compellors and a Noise Gate that I like). Their high end gear has been quite
good. I haven't used this particular model, but IMHO, the tube is a
gimmick/effect and not to be taken seriously. I understand that this is the
same as the Aphex 207, but with digital outs and wordclock. Here are some
reviews of the Aphex 207.

http://emusician.com/signalprocessors/emusic_aphex_mode...

http://mixonline.com/products/new/audio_aphex_model/

See also a May 31 posting on this NG titled: budget mic pre survey: RNP,
TubePre, Trackmaster Pro, Aphex, Alpha, etc

Do a google search on the Aphex 207 and you will find a number of postings.
My impression is that most posters comparing it to other preamps were
underwhelmed. Maybe someone else on this NG has used the 207 and can
compare it with the RNP.

"John Albert" <j.albert@snet.net> wrote in message
> Hello all -
>
> I've been hearing very good things about the FMR "RNP" mic preamp, both in
> this forum and over in "rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic".
>
> I was wondering how the RNP compares to another product in that price
range,
> the Aphex 207D. The Aphex (unlike the RNP) offers SPDIF digital out (would
> connect directly to the Presonus Firebox interface I'm using).
>
> Is the 207D roughly comparable? Better? Worse? Much worse?
>
> Either would be a little pricey (considering my needs), but want to
> investigate several models before I lay down the money...
>
> Thanks,
> - John
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 8:03:27 PM

I haven't heard the aphex but I used to have a dbx and I have both
mackie onyx and fmr. The fmr is the cleanest and msot neutral of the
3. The mackie was clean with plenty of gain but a little nasally. The
dbx was almost as clean as the mackie but it was very muddy sounding
and not nearly as clear as the other two. My test was not scientific,
just used the same source and microphone to record 3 different ways and
compare with my ears.

in that price range I would totally recommened the fmr.

Nate
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 9:34:22 PM

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 16:03:26 +0000, John Albert wrote:

> Hello all -
>
> I've been hearing very good things about the FMR "RNP" mic preamp, both in
> this forum and over in "rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic".
>
> I was wondering how the RNP compares to another product in that price
> range, the Aphex 207D. The Aphex (unlike the RNP) offers SPDIF digital out
> (would connect directly to the Presonus Firebox interface I'm using).
>
> Is the 207D roughly comparable? Better? Worse? Much worse?
>
> Either would be a little pricey (considering my needs), but want to
> investigate several models before I lay down the money...

I've not used the Aphex, but the RNP is better than anything I've
heard at anywhere near it's price range. The Aphex 1100 is highly
regarded, but you don't get too many recommendations for the other preamps
in their line.

The RNP will connect directly to the line inputs on your Firebox. Is there
a specific reason you'd rather connect to the SPDIF interface instead?
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 10:03:03 PM

On 9/1/05 1:34 PM, in article pan.2005.09.01.17.34.21.125011@control.gov,
"Agent 86" <maxwellsmart@control.gov> wrote:

> I've not used the Aphex, but the RNP is better than anything I've
> heard at anywhere near it's price range. The Aphex 1100 is highly
> regarded, but you don't get too many recommendations for the other preamps
> in their line.
>
> The RNP will connect directly to the line inputs on your Firebox. Is there
> a specific reason you'd rather connect to the SPDIF interface instead?

I've always l;iked the older APHEX 107 and if the 207 retains those elements
and is in any ways an improvement, it can;t hurt. Rememebering that when it
FIRST hit the market, it was indeed one of a handfull of relatively
inexpensive mic preamps that weren;t junk... Thee wasn;t the plethora of
dirt-priced toys thatare there now. Yeah the tube thing is a sorta gimmigck,
but their implementation isn;t awful, The real kick of the 107 was the first
gain stage which was a VERY low-impedance stacked-transistor chip that
allowed REALLY nice quiet max gain on problem mics like ribbons. Don;t know
if that's the same in the 207.
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 11:09:45 PM

> I've been hearing very good things about the FMR "RNP" mic preamp, both in
> this forum and over in "rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic".
>
> I was wondering how the RNP compares to another product in that price
range,
> the Aphex 207D. The Aphex (unlike the RNP) offers SPDIF digital out (would
> connect directly to the Presonus Firebox interface I'm using).

Definitely get the FMR RNP. The Aphex a/d converters will not be better
than those in the Firebox, and the RNP is a substantially cleaner preamp
pair.
!