Sign in with
Your question

Operate 32 bit Hardware and software on 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate?

Last response: in Windows 7
July 25, 2012 2:29:41 PM

Hello,
Can you help me find a free program that I can download for windows 7 64 bit to download and run 32 bit software?
July 25, 2012 2:38:06 PM

What is the program ? Most programs that are 32 bit can still run under windows 7 64 bit. Try using compatibility mode to run that particular program.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
July 25, 2012 2:38:37 PM

Most 32bit programs already work natively in W7 64bit.

What exact program are you trying to use?
m
l
July 25, 2012 4:20:25 PM

32 bit hardware device will not work on Windows 7 64bit.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 25, 2012 5:56:04 PM

Look up the hardware device on the manufacturer's website. If there is no driver package for a 64 bit Windows 7 system then you are probably out of luck.

This happened with a scanner I used to own. No driver. No more scanner.

Sometimes a Vista driver will get it to work but as you did not state what the hardware is we cannot advise further.

If on the ohther hand you are talking about software (eg games) and software not tied to hardware (eg printer) that can usually be run in compatability mode. However I had the fun that a dll file associated with a game crashed Windows 7 64 bit and required that Win 7 be reinstalled.

Use Google to check Windows 7 compatability for what is giving you problems and several suggestions will no doubt be there for you.
m
l
July 25, 2012 9:11:59 PM

Yeah it kinda sucks with the whole no 32 bit driver on 64 bit thing, I'm sure if they wanted to Microsoft could have put some kind of layer in for it. Perhaps they would have liked to but maybe come under some pressure/incentive from manufacturers so people would have to buy new stuff.

Amusingly my old Canon scanner has no Windows 64 bit drivers yet I can plug it into my Mac and it runs in either a 32/64 bit environment and that is with software and drivers for a different CPU architecture..Alas if I upgraded to Lion I would lose the Rosetta facility but it does say to me...Microsoft, you didn't try hard enough on that front.
m
l
!