stereo walkman mic into balanced mic pre

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
September 1, 2005 11:08:23 PM

do the stereo walkman microphones work with balanced mic preamps?

where would i find a cable that goes from mini stereo female to two xlr
males
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 11:08:24 PM

anon <anonymousm@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>do the stereo walkman microphones work with balanced mic preamps?

Which ones? Most require plug-in power, which makes it impossible.

>where would i find a cable that goes from mini stereo female to two xlr
>males

You make one. Or call Markertek and they will make one.

What are you trying to do, with what mikes?
--scott
September 1, 2005 11:08:24 PM

Why would you want to connect a line-level output to a mic input?
September 3, 2005 6:42:09 AM

William, that's not what "anon" asked how to do. But while I'm here
posting, let me point out that the usual kind of Walkman microphone is
unbalanced, and any adapter or cable which connects to a professional,
balanced mike preamp input will need to block the usual 48 Volt phantom
powering of the preamp. Otherwise, sooner or later the microphone will
get connected when the phantom powering is on, or someone will turn on
the phantom powering while the microphone is connected, and the
microphone could well be severely damaged.

--best regards
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 8:21:06 AM

> William, that's not what "anon" asked how to do. But while I'm here
> posting, let me point out that the usual kind of Walkman microphone is
> unbalanced, and any adapter or cable which connects to a professional,
> balanced mike preamp input will need to block the usual 48 Volt phantom
> powering of the preamp. Otherwise, sooner or later the microphone will
> get connected when the phantom powering is on, or someone will turn on
> the phantom powering while the microphone is connected, and the
> microphone could well be severely damaged.

Forgive me. I thought he wanted to connect the Walkman's output -- not its
mic's output -- to the preamp.

I tend to ask such questions because people (myself included) often try to
solve the "wrong" problem.
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 9:30:08 AM

"William Sommerwerck" wrote...
> Forgive me. I thought he wanted to connect the Walkman's
> output -- not its mic's output -- to the preamp.
>
> I tend to ask such questions because people (myself included)
> often try to solve the "wrong" problem.

Many outputs have been damaged (either temporarily or
permanently) by ignoring the problem of P48 feeding back
into the output. This is especially a problem with equipment
that has active balanced outputs with a pad for Lin/Mic level.

However, the OP's question *appears* to be that of feeding
a mic preamp output into a Walkman mic input. Even there,
the 3~5 volt "plug-in power" could be problematic with some
mic preamp output circuits.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 7:06:57 PM

anon <anonymousm@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

>where would i find a cable that goes from mini stereo female to two xlr
>males

We have them.

moskowit@core-sound.com Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 12:01:10 PM

Len Moskowitz wrote:
> anon <anonymousm@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>where would i find a cable that goes from mini stereo female to two xlr
>>males
>

> We have them.

I think you would want a mini male to 1/4 in phono then 2 DI boxs to get
the signal into the xlrs at mic level.
!