Studio Glass Type

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm buying glass for the various windows in a new studio build...Here's the
configuration:

All windows in booths and between Control/Cutting rooms are two sheets of
glass, one 1/2" thick and the other 3/8" thick, with a couple inches between
the two sheets.

The windows to the outside will be the same, and therefore inoperable to
help control noise leaks.

Here are my questions: Can I use Tempered glass in place of the recommended
Laminated glass to save money? Any disadvantages to doing this?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Brian

Brian Standefer <screendoormusic@austin.rr.com> wrote:
>Here are my questions: Can I use Tempered glass in place of the recommended
>Laminated glass to save money? Any disadvantages to doing this?

No, go the laminated route. Think of it as a bunch of different layers of
glass with stuff in-between, so it doesn't flex like a solid surface and
vibrations tend to break up.
--scott

"Brian Standefer" wrote ...
> I'm buying glass for the various windows in a new studio
> build...Here's the configuration:
>
> All windows in booths and between Control/Cutting rooms
> are two sheets of glass, one 1/2" thick and the other 3/8" thick,
> with a couple inches between the two sheets.
>
> The windows to the outside will be the same, and therefore
> inoperable to help control noise leaks.
>
> Here are my questions: Can I use Tempered glass in place
> of the recommended Laminated glass to save money? Any
> disadvantages to doing this?

If you can, go down to the glass shop and simply knock
on each and see (hear) for yourself what the difference is.