Sign in with
Your question

Is DVD-Rom better than CD_Rom

Last response: in Storage
September 21, 2003 1:11:03 PM

Hello. Am needing to replace my CD-Rom, but thought that a new DVD-Rom would give me the same, if not better, performance as a CD-Rom. Are DVD-Rom's faster than CD-Roms? Is there any advanatage/disadvantage? Am looking at Lite-on.
Thanks

More about : dvd rom rom

September 22, 2003 2:38:48 PM

They're better if you're planning on playing DVDs on your computer, the highest CD read speeds of a DVDROM drive I believe is 16x, DVDROM is a good choice if you're running WinXP cause it'll run in DMA mode while a regular CDROM drive only runs in PIO mode unless you preset it, then the first read problem and XP resets it to PIO mode automatically.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>
September 26, 2003 10:40:31 AM

I think DVD is better cause you can watch movies on it and besides the cost difference isnt that much... Well actually in Taiwan DVD's cost twice as much as a CDROM drive but thats like 600/1200NT (around 20/40 USD) difference, its like having a DVD player without having to pay alot for one...
Related resources
September 26, 2003 12:44:50 PM

not really all are 48xCD read & do basically the same job, the only advantage of a DVD drive is in playing DVDs

plus, DVD-rom drives (mine anyway) seem to like 2 holding onto CDs in the drive a lot, that really bugs me, somthing my old CD drive never did...

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...
September 29, 2003 6:31:53 AM

The only thing i know about the advantages of a DVD is that it has more capacity. CD-ROM reall strnght for now is compatability, since many home pc's around the world afford to have a cd-rom.

<b><font color=purple>
The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind.
</font color=purple></b>
---
<A HREF="http://www.mapua.edu.ph/" target="_new">
MIT
</A>
October 2, 2003 7:01:46 AM

The thing with DVDROMs are that their BIOS can be flashed. When you feel that it's not working right, just flash it with the new bios from the manyfacturer website. I'm using ASUS 16X DVDROM. CD read speed is 48X and DVD is 16X. At first I found some problem with it but then I flashed it with the new BIOS and it's working flawlessly now.
!