Chess teaching software for my dad...

My dad's a very spry 85 year old. A long time ago he taught me how to play
chess and after quite a few years I started beating him on a regular basis.
At that point he stopped playing altogether and I continued on to play in
high school and college tournament events. A few years ago my mother passed
away and he moved up near me. He has lots of interests (painting,
wood-working and cooking) and now he would like to get back to playing chess
to keep his mind agile. Is there a good program with some instruction
capability that he could use? He is not trying to achieve a particular
playing level, more trying to learn basic strategy and tactics. For his
sake I'd like to keep him in on software package so he doesn't have to learn
several different interfaces.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

--

Bobby C.
Proper reply address is without the text -REMOVE-

"If You're Not A Part Of The Solution, There's Good Money To Be Made In
Prolonging The Problem." - from the 2002 Despair series posters
entitled "Consulting"

JVMerlino

Distinguished
May 20, 2004

Bobby C. wrote:
> My dad's a very spry 85 year old. A long time ago he taught me how
to play
> chess and after quite a few years I started beating him on a regular
basis.
> At that point he stopped playing altogether and I continued on to
play in
> high school and college tournament events. A few years ago my mother
passed
> away and he moved up near me. He has lots of interests (painting,
> wood-working and cooking) and now he would like to get back to
playing chess
> to keep his mind agile. Is there a good program with some
instruction
> capability that he could use? He is not trying to achieve a
particular
> playing level, more trying to learn basic strategy and tactics. For
his
> sake I'd like to keep him in on software package so he doesn't have
to learn
> several different interfaces.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
>
> --
>
> Bobby C.
> Proper reply address is without the text -REMOVE-
>
> "If You're Not A Part Of The Solution, There's Good Money To Be Made
In
> Prolonging The Problem." - from the 2002 Despair series posters
> entitled "Consulting"

Chessmaster is definitely your best bet. It's inexpensive and has an
incredible amount of tutorials and teaching content that are perfect
for the beginner all the way to master level.

There are about 150 different personalities of all strengths, so your
father will definitely be able to find a challenging game no matter
what his strength.

I haven't seen Chessmaster 10th Edition (the current version), but I am
very familiar with Chessmaster 9000. Both should be available somewhere
online, but you should check the system requirements. CM 10th probably
requires a better video card than CM 9000, so make sure that the
version you're buying can run on your father's system.

Let me know if you have any questions,

jm