Solved

32 bit versus 64 bit

Hello, I am buying a simple laptop, 15", T4300 or 4400, 2-4gb memory, 160-320 gb Hard drive. I use it for email, web browsing, and minor office functions. My question is: " Will I notice the difference in performance between the 32 bit and the 64 bit version of Win 7 Home Premium".
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about versus
  1. probably none whatsoever, though go for the 64bit if you can so when you need more ram you can just add it
  2. +1. No difference in performance since there are very few 64-bit applications out there. You will however be able to add more than 4GB of RAM if the laptop has space for it.
  3. Doesn't the 3.2GB RAM limitation only hold for 32bit XP and Vista? I thought win 7 doesnt matter if its 32bit or 64bit.
  4. Collie147 said:
    Doesn't the 3.2GB RAM limitation only hold for 32bit XP and Vista? I thought win 7 doesnt matter if its 32bit or 64bit.

Nope, it has to do with how much RAM the OS can address. 2^32 = 4294967296 bits. Divide that by 1024 twice and it gives you 4096 Megabytes, which is the theoretical maximum of addressable RAM for a 32bit OS. This is as much a limitation for Windows 7 32bit as it is for Vista and XP.
  5. Best answer
    concur - very litle to no performance differnce between 32 bit and 64 bit Win 7 on a laptop.
    Most laptops come with 32 bit preinstalled with less than 4 gigs ram, 4 gigs = 64 Bit preinstalled. Howerver there has been a shift toward 64 bit on laptops with 2 gigs preinstalled and have a max of 4 gigs.

As also stated by others Most apps that you will use are still 32 bit.

Real life diff, if you upgrade to 4 gigs of ram, is that with 64 bit Win 7 you will have 4 gigs available for the operating system and programs. With a 32 bit (in a laptop) you will have about 3.5 gigs available for the operating system and programs due to memmory mapping. Will 1/2 gig make a diff - For you NO.

Bottom line - Unless you have a preference, Flip a coin, or take what comes preinstalled and enjoy.

PS I have both. Laptop 4gigs ram - 32 bit win 7. My coin came up tails (realy my preference for laptop.
    Desktop w/4gigs ram 64 bit Win 7
  6. Chief, Thank you very much for your reply. It alleviates my concerns. jmac
  7. Best answer selected by 1943jmac.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Windows 7