XP Pro 32-bit to Windows 7 Pro 64-bit OR XP Pro 64-bit

Miska

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Hello . . . :hello:

I currently have Windows XP Pro 32-bit installed. I am considering either moving to Windows 7 Pro 64-bit or XP Pro 64-bit, but I'm not sure which one since I've been reading various/conflicting things about both operating systems.

My hardware can handle a 64-bit OS, so that shouldn't be a problem, but I'd like some feedback on which one would be better and the reasons why.

Also, I have a secondary (data) drive where I store many of my important files that I want to keep. If I move to either of the 64-bit OS I mentioned, will I still be able to access my files on my secondary drive? I've reformatted my main drive and reinstalled XP Pro 32-bit many times over the years, and have never had issues accessing my files on my secondary drive, but wanted to be sure if I move to a 64-bit OS that I will still be able to access those files.

Finally, am I correct in thinking that since I've already downloaded the driver files for Win 7 Pro 64, that the 64-bit drivers would also work with XP Pro 64 if I choose to go that route? (just checking)

Many Thanks in Advance. :)

Why do you want 64-bit? If you're not using more than 4GB of ram or using TRUE native 64-bit apps, it's probably not worth it. Drivers can be a pain for 64-bit (not so much as Win7 but back in the XP-64 bit days, not a lot of places made 64-bit XP drivers.)

Maxx_Power

Distinguished
Windows 7 64 bit. It costs the same money as 32 bit, but you are set for >4GB of ram, >2 GB of ram per application AND you can run nearly all modern 32 bit programs natively under Win 7 64 bit.

STAY AWAY FROM XP PRO 64 BIT. It is a useless hunk of OS.

Here are a few reasons to go with Windows 7 64:

Has better threading support than XP (meaning the OS will handle tasks in a more efficient manner).

Direct X 10/11 support

Cleaner, smoother GUI. Aero snap is awesome.

Much more hardware and software support now.

Here are a few reasons to go with Windows XP 64:

As long as you are not installing the 64-bit OS on the secondary drive, you should have no issues in being able to read the data on it. Now, any applications would have to be re-installed in order for them to function.

Miska

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

I'd like to go with 64-bit because I have 4 Gigs of RAM (4 1 Gig sticks), but 32-bit XP only recognizes 2.75 Gigs. I know getting drivers for XP-64 can be a tedious task, but I have been using Driver Detective ( http://www.drivershq.com/ ) for several years which has a feature called "EZ Migrator" that allows you to select a version of Windows you want to upgrade/downgrade to, and then searches and downloads the drivers for the version you're wishing to move to according to your hardware specs. Therefore, I'm guessing finding drivers shouldn't be all that bad if I chose to go with XP Pro-64.

Miska

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

Thanks for the feedback, it's appreciated. :)

Miska

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

Thanks for the feedback Maxx, I appreciate it. :)

Miska

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

Thanks for the feedback Ahnilated, I agree the 4G+ RAM option would be nice since I have 4 Gigs, but XP Pro-32 bit only recognizes 2.75 Gigs. :ange:

Miska

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

:lol: Point taken Chainzsaw; thanks for the feedback. ;)

Miska

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

Thank you Clarkjd for the feedback, I was mostly concerned about this aspect. Knowing that I will still be able to access the files on my secondary drive is very good to know. ;)

Everyone . . . again, thank you all for the feedback/advice . . . it's greatly appreciated. :)