O/T News group archive question?

Last response: in Home Audio
September 3, 2005 11:32:31 AM

I have noticed that some people have a note by their post that says
they have requested that their message not be archived. How does that
work and how do you do that? I have never seen it as an option.

Thanks
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 11:42:09 AM

Danny Taddei wrote:
> I have noticed that some people have a note by their post that says
> they have requested that their message not be archived. How does that
> work and how do you do that? I have never seen it as an option.

I'm not exactly sure where the spaces, capitalizations, and hyphens go,
but you operate this switch on the news server archive by putting
"X:No-Archive" in the correct form as the first line of your message.

It's appropriate to use when you know you don't have anything profound
to say, but feel like saying it anyway.
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 3:22:51 PM

Mike Rivers wrote:

> It's appropriate to use when you know you don't have anything profound
> to say, but feel like saying it anyway.

Geeez Mike, wouldn't that be every post?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 5:23:32 PM

Richard Crowley wrote:

> > x-no-archive: yes

Yes, that looks about right. But

> And it is the option of everyone downstream whether to honor
> the request (or not). I would bet that there are at least some
> archives that save everything, "no-archive" tag or not.

So you really don't know what's going to happen. At least Google states
that it will be deleted in six days.
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 7:22:34 PM

man that's a lot of info - Thanks to all of you.
September 3, 2005 9:01:01 PM

On 03 Sep 2005, "Danny Taddei" <palmtreedreamer@aol.com> wrote in

> I have noticed that some people have a note by their post that says
> they have requested that their message not be archived. How does that
> work and how do you do that? I have never seen it as an option.

A good explanation is provided by the Wikipedia at
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-No-Archive&gt;

==========

X-No-Archive is a newsgroup message header used to prevent a Usenet
message from being archived in various servers, especially Google.

It was designed to follow the standard message header protocol used in
existing newsgroups. In addition to the standard message header lines
used in all newsgroup messages (including Path:, From:, Subject:, and
Date:) , news reader software includes the option for a user to add
additional, optional headers to messages. These additional headers are
prefixed with the label X- so that they can be ignored by news servers
and newsreaders. Thus, the phrase "No Archive" was coined as a way to
state "Do not archive this message," and the X- header was added to
complete the term X-No-Archive.

The proper header for X-No-Archive is to insert the header into a
message as follows:

Some software systems also do not archive if the first line in the body
of the message contains that text. This is useful for those users who
cannot change the headers of messages they send out.

Use of X-No-Archive began when DejaNews debuted in early 1995. DejaNews
was the first large-scale, commercial attempt to archive the entire
Usenet news feed (or at least a large part of it), and a number of
regular newsgroup participants were concerned about privacy rights, as
well as the possibility that their messages could be re-posted through
DejaNews at some point in the future. DejaNews addressed these concerns
by announcing that it would not archive any Usenet messages containing
the X-No-Archive header.

When DejaNews was purchased by Google, Google continued to honor the X-
No-Archive protocol. Beginning in 2005, Google's newsgroup service
(Google Groups) changed its handling of X-No-Archive, allowing messages
with the header to be archived and made available for view for a period
of six days; after six days, the message was then deleted from the
archive. Other newsgroup archiving services have also followed in
DejaNews' footsteps, though the decision to archive X-No-Archive
messages has been entirely voluntary.

Many popular newsreader and posting software programs, such as Forté
Agent, include a standard option to insert X-No-Archive headers into
any or all messages at the user's request.
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 12:23:49 AM

> Danny Taddei wrote:
> > I have noticed that some people have a note by their post that says
> > they have requested that their message not be archived. How does that
> > work and how do you do that? I have never seen it as an option.
>
> I'm not exactly sure where the spaces, capitalizations, and hyphens go,
> but you operate this switch on the news server archive by putting
> "X:No-Archive" in the correct form as the first line of your message.
>
> It's appropriate to use when you know you don't have anything profound
> to say, but feel like saying it anyway.

It reminds me of numerous Hank's posts. I think it went something like:

x-no-archive: yes

Predrag
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 12:23:50 AM

"Predrag Trpkov" wrote ...
> "Mike Rivers" wrote ...
>> Danny Taddei wrote:
>> > I have noticed that some people have a note by their post that says
>> > they have requested that their message not be archived. How does
>> > that
>> > work and how do you do that? I have never seen it as an option.
>>
>> I'm not exactly sure where the spaces, capitalizations, and hyphens
>> go,
>> but you operate this switch on the news server archive by putting
>> "X:No-Archive" in the correct form as the first line of your message.
>>
>> It's appropriate to use when you know you don't have anything
>> profound
>> to say, but feel like saying it anyway.
>
> It reminds me of numerous Hank's posts. I think it went something
> like:
>
> x-no-archive: yes

And it is the option of everyone downstream whether to honor
the request (or not). I would bet that there are at least some
archives that save everything, "no-archive" tag or not. If you
really don't want anyone to save it, don't post it.
!