Blue screen when connected through VPN 0x000000c4

thaik

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Hi guys.
I have just registered and I need your input on a blue screen problem.

I'm working in a company as an IT technician and every worker including myself is working with a laptop given and configured by the company and there's one in particular that keeps getting a blue screen of death. Here's the "what" and "how":

The blue screen code is the following: 0x0c4
Here's the full error code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** STOP: 0x0C4 (0X91, 0x2, 0xFFFFF80002C4DC40, 0x0)
As you can see, I've removed the unecessary zeros so that it'll be easier to understand.

There's isn't any particular files mentionned in the blue screen itself.
All it says in the end is this:

Collecting data for crash dump ...
Initializing disk for crash dump ...
Beginning dump of physical memory.
Dumping physical memory to disk: 55

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry I can't show you guys a picture, I have it on my computer, but I'm currently at work and they blocked photobucket due to their policy, unless it's possible to upload a picture straight from a local hard drive, is it?

This BSOD only happens when the worker is working at home but is connected to the company's domain through a VPN connection.
(Home WiFi network - VPN - Company's domain )
The blue screen appears right away after around 15 to 30 minutes, it happens both in idle and when it's under load. The worker is mainly working with Outlook, Excel and other finance related software.

We tried simulating the problem by connecting the laptop to the company's external wireless network (outside of domain) and then connect it to the company's domain through VPN. (Bell's WiFi - VPN - Company's domain) for about an hour or so and it didn't happen. But at home, it happens almost instantaneously.

Until now, what we've done is updating the wireless network card, deactivate Hyperion Smartview addin for Excel (the employee said it started doing it after the addin's installation to Excel) but no luck.

Here's some specs:
Laptop: HP EliteBook 8560p

Other info: Company uses HP's docking station for the laptops so that everytime the employee brings his laptop he won't have to plug everything back (Ethernet cable, VGA/DIV cables, Power cable, mouse/keyboard).

This is my first topic and I hope I posted it in the right place.
It would be very appreciated if you guys could give me some input, advice, suggestion or anything useful.

Thank you.

Bug Check 0xC4: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION

This is the general bug check code for fatal errors found by Driver Verifier.

So probably a driver problem.

In addition, for a BCP1 of 0x91:

The driver switched stacks using a method that is not supported by the operating system. The only supported way to extend a kernel mode stack is by using KeExpandKernelStackAndCallout.

So probably a bad driver, but I don't have enough to pin it down to a specific subsystem. Running 'sfc /scannow' from a command prompt would be a good first step to ensure no system files are corrupt/out of date.

thaik

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Strangely, reinstalling the VPN software solves the problem, as simple as that. The only thing is it doesn't guarantee that it won't happen again.