Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows won't boot from SSD

Last response: in Windows 7
July 25, 2012 9:15:04 PM

Hi there,

I've just bought a Samsung 830 128G SSD. I kept my Windows partition on my HDD, and installed Windows onto the SSD.
After doing so, everything was working, and when I started my computer, it went to the dual boot and I chose the Windows on the SSD.

But, after removing the Windows partition on the HDD, my computer wouldn't boot. It said something about putting a boot device in the SSD.. I can't remember the precise wording, and I'm not at my computer right now but will be soonish.
Any ideas as to what I could try to get it to boot?

Thanks a lot :) 

More about : windows boot ssd

July 25, 2012 9:22:36 PM

is the boot drive first in your boot priority list in the bios?
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
July 25, 2012 9:23:26 PM

When you deleted the Windows Partition on your HDD you effectively deleted the Boot Loader menu information in the MFT, now the system doesn't know where to look for the info.

You need to shut down the pc and remove the HDD from the computer, then do a fresh Windows install on the SSD. After the install is completed and you've updated windows with Windows Update, you can shut down and install the HDD.
Related resources
July 25, 2012 9:41:23 PM

Ahhhh, thank you so much. I'll try it when I get back to my computer and let you know :) 
m
l
July 26, 2012 11:31:53 AM

Best answer selected by Random3000.
m
l
July 26, 2012 11:32:05 AM

dingo07 said:
When you deleted the Windows Partition on your HDD you effectively deleted the Boot Loader menu information in the MFT, now the system doesn't know where to look for the info.

You need to shut down the pc and remove the HDD from the computer, then do a fresh Windows install on the SSD. After the install is completed and you've updated windows with Windows Update, you can shut down and install the HDD.

Thank you, it worked :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 26, 2012 12:29:23 PM

Glad I can help ;) 
m
l
!