I need help

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
OK, I'm about ready to tear my hair out in frustration.

Right now at my apartment I have @Home cable service. We have the cable modem hooked up to a Linksys 4-port router (model BEFSR41), and four computers hooked up to the router.

The performance is abysmal. Typically, it alternates between functioning properly (at what I would consider reasonable cable modem speeds) to just plain dying.

The connection "dies" on average a few times an hour. Once it dies, not only will the internet connection not work, but the router configuration page is unaccessible. The only solution I've found is to phsyically pull the power cord on the router, count to 5-10, then plug it back in. At this point the connection will come back to life.

I really really hate this. It is a complete pain in the ass. Moreover, it makes playing any sort of game online a complete waste of time - the connection is likely to die 5 minutes in.

Please, if anyone has <b>any</b> ideas I'd love to hear them.

<b>ßunn¥§troker 0wn§ j00!</b>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
How is the performance if you bypass the Cable router (hook to the cable modem directly with just 1 PC)?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Do you have to authenticate to your provider? My DSL is a nightmare and 'for our own security' log us off after 15-30 minutes inactivity. Yeah - right. I found things for me picked up considerably after setting a batch job to ping an arbirtary Internet host every 10-15 minutes....

Not sure if it is the same thing, but I know my linksys seems to get a little upset if the remote end disconnects. I can usually still get to the management page though - but not always....

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details