Are software prices in poorer nations lower?

Chances are that the prices are just about the same or a bit higher depending on the nation. In China, I would assume that you would have to pay full price (or more) because the government doesn't subsidize things like software (not saying that the US or anyone else does either, its just the whole Communist government thing).

Windows Home premium retails for $199.99 in the States.

The $ / South African Rand exchange rate is around 7.5.

So: $200*7.5 = R1500 as a base price. I would expect them to slap on some import duty or taxes or something, so the eventual retail would be even more expensive.

Lo and behold, I can buy 7 Home Premium for R1300 at one of our local e-tailers, well below what I expected. In dollar terms, it's around $27 cheaper.

I'm not sure if the $199.99 is still current, but it's what Microsoft quote on their website.

G

Yes Herr_Koos it is slightly cheaper in SA for some software, but only if you are spending in £ or $ as both UK and US average earnings are way higher.
£70 will not feed me and family for month, but if I was living in SA R1300 would as it is a large chunk of money out there.

G

yeah know what you mean, was last in SA nov 09, have 1/2 my family out there still and it is tough going, but I still miss it!

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Hey shouldn't big companies sell the same software for a lower price in poor nations? Maybe modify it a bit to only work in that region. The reason being people in poor countries cannot afford to buy windows 7 premium so they will most likely bootleg it if they want to use it.

Big companies should sell software for less, period.