Status
Not open for further replies.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Does anyone have a current list, web site, suggestions of audio programs
that directly support dual processors? Specifically dual core?

Thanks!

Frank

frank <frankmcma @ yahoo.com> wrote:

>Does anyone have a current list, web site, suggestions of audio programs
>that directly support dual processors? Specifically dual core?

Here it is:

[ null set ]

Hope that helps.
--scott

Sonar claims it makes use of muliple processors using multiple threads, and
that's the same situation as dual-core processors too unless I'm missing
something here.......
--
Phil Wilson

> frank <frankmcma @ yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>Does anyone have a current list, web site, suggestions of audio programs
>>that directly support dual processors? Specifically dual core?
>
> Here it is:
>
> [ null set ]
>
> Hope that helps.
> --scott

Correct, Sonar has one of the most efficient dual proc/dual core engines in
the game at the moment. It scales very well with processors/cores.

One thing to be careful of is to make sure your plugins/soft synths are
"thread safe", or you can end up with crackles and pops. As an example,
LiveSynth Pro is not thread safe and doesn't like muli processor/multi core
PCs. Most work fine though.

NS.

Neon Sound wrote:

> Correct, Sonar has one of the most efficient dual proc/dual
> core engines in the game at the moment. It scales very well
> with processors/cores.

Multiprocessing distributes processing threads, not processes,
consequently any multithreaded software will benefit from a
multiprocessor setup.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Neon Sound <no@spam.com> wrote:
>Correct, Sonar has one of the most efficient dual proc/dual core engines in
>the game at the moment. It scales very well with processors/cores.

What does it do with them? Most editing stuff is really just I/O intensive.
With processing now being done so much with plug-ins, can it split the plug-in
load between processors?
--scott

ashley

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

Hello Friend,

We just released new wave on my website.Feel free to download it in audio
and mp3 format.maybe some will like it..anyway thanks for reading and until
my next one.
http://www.fleximusic.com/waveditor/audioeditor.htm

Thanks,
Ashley

Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
> frank <frankmcma @ yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >Does anyone have a current list, web site, suggestions of audio programs
> >that directly support dual processors? Specifically dual core?
>
> Here it is:
>
> [ null set ]
>
> Hope that helps.
> --scott

Early versions of Sonar, and before that Pro Audio ran the audio engine on a
single thread. Getting Microsoft Office to run in multiple threads might be
easy, but getting an audio application that relies on tight timing is
another story completely.

That's why products like ProTools LE don't support a dual processor or dual
core PC. Many aspects of the application will run on multiple threads, but
the audio engine cannot cope. As mentioned, the same is true with some
audio plug-ins.

So to say that"any multithreaded software will benefit" is misleading at
best, and flat out wrong at worst regarding audio applications.

NS.