Soundblaster Live 5.1

mjmolnes

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2003
Hello

Recently my Soundblaster Live 5.1 card suddenly stopped playing mp3's or any sound at all.

I have Windows XP, Viav KT400 Motherboard, Athlon XP2200, Geforce 4 Ti4200, Soundblaster Live 5.1

When I try to go to creative's mixer or speaker settings I only get "mixer not found..."

The device manager shows that the card is installed and working properly..

I have tried to reinstall drivers, replaced the drivers, placed the soundcard in another PCI slot. Even bought a new one, but still the same problem...

I have disabled the AC97 onboard sound in BIOS as well, so that should not be a conflict

My motherboard also gives 1, sometimes 2 beeps when entering windows.

Someone with any clue as to what has happened please reply

Magjam

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
"mixer not found..."

Sounds like the drivers weren't installed correctly. What drivers are you installing? Are they off the CD or did you download them?

My suggestion would be to completely uninstall the drivers, and restart your computer without the card inside the computer. Go through your computer and find any creative software you can and remove it.

Then, turn off your computer reinsert the card, and restart. Windows should detect the card. Hit cancel. Install the creative software. Restart again. Windows should detect the sound card and install the correct drivers for it.

If it doesn't work, reply back and we'll see what we can do.

umheint0's phat setup --> <A HREF="http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html" target="_new">http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html</A><--

mjmolnes

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2003
Yeah, I've tried that, removing installing removing reinstalling, all the different drivers, Soundblaster Live, Soundblaster Live series, Soundblaster Live Value, the drivers that came with the card, the newest recommended drivers from soundblaster.....

And yes, I have tried taking it out, restarting, cleaning completely.
Re installing it to the same as well as different PCI slots in both normal windows mode and safe mode. I even bought a brand new SB live 5.1... but no change
It is currently in Slot 5 now, I only have that card and a geforce card in the AGP slot installed on the computer. I've tried to manually set IRQ adresses.... to no avail... *sigh*

Even used tweak-xp to clean the registry of any bogus creative stuff....

Went into registry, removed anything with "creative" in it.

Tried first AC97, then creative again.

Same result though.... either "no driver found" or "no mixer found" etc... I do not know what to do....I've spent WAAY too much time on this crap.... pissed off.

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
What about manually installing the drivers. By that I mean go update the drivers for the sound card and when it asks you what drivers to install, either point them at the temp directory your drivers were extracted to or at the install CD. It just seems that Windows doesn't like recognizing those drivers, for some reason...

I'll keep thinking of ways to help ya out. I agree, it shouldn't take this friggin long to install a sound card.

umheint0's phat setup --> <A HREF="http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html" target="_new">http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html</A><--

mjmolnes

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2003
Someone tipsed me about using service.mcs
I found that Windows Audio service was stopped, but if I tried to start it, it only says: "Error 127: the specified procedure could not be found"

I got another tip to check my Event viewer

This is the actual text from my Event Viewer from the day I installed the patch, it is logged shortly after the install was made:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7023
Date: 17.09.2003
Time: 16:22:16
User: N/A
Computer: ATHLON
The Windows Audio service terminated with the following error:
Windows Audio is not a valid Win32 application.

Any tips at all is greatly appreciated, I do not want to re-install windows!

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
About half a dozen people found this solution for no sound..

<i><b>re: Here is the REAL answer!! =)
Wednesday, August 13, 2003 at 6:37 am
Posted by tancy [find other messages by tancy]
THANKS ALOT!!! IT WORKS REALLY WELLL!

On Tuesday, August 12, 2003 at 9:03 pm, Snipe wrote:
>I found this instructions when looking for an answer to this exact same problem,
>I followed the directions and wala! I now can see my sound card inthe greyed out
>areas again! Try it out fellas!
>

>Carl's solution worked like a charm for me, once I actually read it carefully enough
>to understand what was going on. It's truly a stroke of genius, and I strongly suggest
>you try his process before you go reinstalling your entire operating system.
>To recap in detail (for Windows XP; YMMV):
>1. From Device Manager (be sure to select View/Show hidden devices), find the 'ISAPNP
>Read Data Port' device from the System Devices list. (Of note: once I successfully
>repaired this problem, this device no longer appears.)
>2. Right click the ISAPNP device, and select "Update Driver"
>3. Select "Install from a list or specific location"
>4. Select "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install."
>5. The step I left out on prior trials: UNSELECT "Show Compatible Hardware"
>6. Be sure that "(Standard System Devices)" is selected under Manufacturer.
>7. Under Model, scroll down until you see "Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator".
>Select this item, and select "Next>".
>8. You will receive some frightening error message that you should probably disregard.
>9. Complete the installation of the driver. You will see your device list magically
>change before your eyes. The other PNP devices will mysteriously become enabled and
>active. If not, restart.
>
>Thank you for posting this solution; it has saved endless hours of reinstallation,
>and perhaps a marriage as well.

</i></b>

Complete thread here

<A HREF="http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1018722575" target="_new">http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1018722575</A>

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>